Cutting Edge: The F***ing Fulfords - Channel 4 - 21:00 Tues

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Gas Gas Gas, Aug 8, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is a new reality TV show on Tuesday. The blurb states;

"Francis Fulford is head of one of Britain's oldest and most eccentric families. He, his wife Kishanda and their four raucous children live in Great Fulford, their 800-year-old ancestral home in the heart of rural Devon. But the Fulford dynasty is under threat of extinction. If they don't find a way to make money soon they'll be the last generation of Fulfords to live in Great Fulford. Expect high blood pressure, raised voices and political incorrectness by the double-barrel load in this unforgettable look at one man's fight to save his corner of England for his heirs. "

I used to work with Francis in the early to mid 1980s. Top bloke. I'm glad to see he does not appear to have mellowed with age. He can come across as an "upper class twit" and half asleep but he is quite a sharp cookie. There is an account of Francis crossing the road near the Borough tube station in South London. He saw his bus on the opposite side of the four lane road and set off at the run regardless of the traffic. This meant that he stepped out in front of a car. The car slammed on its breaks but is unable to stop in the distance. Francis for his part, merely put his hand on the bonnet and simply vaulted over the front of the car. He then proceeded to catch his bus without a backward glance!

As implied above, the Fulfords are asset rich but cash poor. The battle to keep the ancestral pile standing is a non stop battle. In the 1980s Francis arranged for the magazine Mayfair (of happy memory) to do a photo shoot in the house. Thus you had a “young lady” disrobing with Francis in the background dressed as a gamekeeper. Lucky chap.

I'm not sure if I will make the programme on Tuesday unfortunately. It will be interesting to see if they mention his time in the TA. That is something else again.

2. Used his garden on an ex once.

I understand that he had an S6 modified so he could smoke in IPE - then the S10 came along and the drinking device was modified.

And F*** was every other word.

3. A top soldier indeed, few better. Frankie Fulford always looked like something the cat had dragged in; arrse hanging out of his trousers and the elbows of his heavy wool jersey were non-existent, (his civvy suits, Saville Row presumeably, were no different) but worn with the unconscious panache of someone who didn't give a toss anyway.
    Hope he gets things together, we need his like; they add spice to an anotherwise dull uniformity.

4. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

So he looked like every other cav officer then......

5. Top Program, great bloke,

I was especially impressed when his wife threw the TV into the pond :D

6. When I worked with Francis he was a Sergeant. I don't know what his original cap badge was, if any, but he was with an outfit that is quite hard to get into and was most definitely not the HAC or Yeomanry. Funny really, the CEO was a Corporal, his right hand man, Francis, was a Sergeant and yours truly, corporate pond life, was a Captain.

Thinking about it, the company was quite an odd ball really. Out of a total head count of 50 to 60, you had a Chairman who was a Scottish Clan chief (an "of that Ilk"), a director who was related to a Lord (currently second in line I think), a charming chap (only a year older than me) who was a Baronet and Francis representing the landed gentry. The CEO had been Rhodesian Special Forces, he kept a framed blood stained map on his office wall. Allegedly it was taken from a “terr” he had shot. There were probably a few more I cannot remember.

What ever happened to the company? Oh, now I remember. It went bust.

7. I think that defines Francis quite well.

ooOOoo

Having a quiet day at work I did a bit of family history cross matching. It would appear Francis and I are something like 10th Cousins Twice removed. Our last common Fulford ancestor died in 1610. Unfortunately for Francis, it is not a close enough relationship for me to get my cheque book out. Presupposing, of course, that there is anything in the bank.

8. Being married to a lunatic, no wonder he's fcking skint.

Bollox to them. Sell your heirlooms (and anything else his wife hasn't chucked in the pond) and get on with your life. There are plenty of normal people in this country today who haven't got nor had the lifestyle these spongers have enjoyed.

I have absolutely no sympathy for these people whatsoever.

9. Baddass wrote

"Being married to a lunatic, no wonder he's fcking skint.

Bollox to them. Sell your heirlooms (and anything else his wife hasn't chucked in the pond) and get on with your life. There are plenty of normal people in this country today who haven't got nor had the lifestyle these spongers have enjoyed.

I have absolutely no sympathy for these people whatsoever."

Are you serious?
    Perhaps you come from the former DDR? Or China? Or Russia?
    No, so sorry folks... hang on. I've just realised why you are so bitter.

You must be French.

10. Oui! Now get on with flogging yer China, instead of looking for the common man to bail you out.

Spongers....or should that be le Spongers

11. Is that so? Well bugger me. I had you down for one of those Montague-Smythes.

12. Montague-Smythes? A mere doubled barrelled name? Good Lord no! We're the triple barrelled Gas-Gas-Gases. That is the Hampshire Gas-Gas-Gases not the Dorset ones, though they are distantly related.

I assume you did not actually watch the programme itself. The reason being, Francis stated quite clearly he did not want to be bailed out by the taxpayers or anyone else. There are a whole host of grants he could apply for but they come with conditions and he was fxxxed if anyone was going to dictate what he can or cannot do with his home. A bit too single & bloody minded, yes. Sponger, no.

13. How much did he get for making the programme? If he's not that bothered, why make it in the first place.

14. No idea. But he did say "If I were rich, you fxxkers wouldn't be here to the camera crew."

He is not bothered about appearances -what you see is what you get - but he does want to save the house from falling down and passing it on to his eldest son.

15. I may have misread your last post 3Gs, but I can understand his wish not to let the place fall down, but why doesn't he wish to pass it on to his son? If he doesn't like him, why not just let the place decay?