Cutting £2bn from the MoD Budget

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by meridian, Apr 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Had a look in the various budget threads but couldnt find any reference to this

The MoD's budget for 2011-2011 has been cut by £2bn to £36.7bn (just over 5%) and the UOR limit for this year has been revised down by £265m as compared to last year.

So whats on the chopping block?

And fear not, £50m already announced has been pulled forward. Its not new money, its just money available sooner than planned

That will be alright then

We are already started to go down the same road as the US, mooting prioritising current conflicts over possible future ones and the predictable counters by various interested parties

2. Hello meridian,

there has been discussion of this elsewhere,it has been suggested that the £2,000 Million "extra" in 2010 is the cost of operations funded in addition to the defence budget while the 2011 figures exclude operational costs.
    Apparently that will be added on to the 2011 figures in due time.
    I stand to be corrected of course but I am hoping that is the correct interpretation of the numbers.

tangosix.

3. Public spending should be 'cut by £30 billion', think tank says

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/budget/5183340/Public-spending-should-be-cut-by-30-billion-think-tank-says.html

Edited to add.

http://www.reform.co.uk/documents/Back%20to%20Black%20FINAL.pdf

On page 22 'The Think Tank' comments

4. This has come up on warship1 as well, and I think they decided the same.

5. meridian

Sorry if this has been covered then, does anyone have the link

6. You'll notice that none of the authors at Reform seems to have any defence knowledge or background, and that they demonstrate this spectacularly in the report....

7. Atleast they're not cutting back whilst we have lads and lasses thousands of miles away fighting a war. That just wouldn't make any sense.

8. meridian

I read it at the Defence Management Journal, so is it tosh then or not

9. It is mentioned in Janes Defence Weekly as well. The relevant bit (to avoid upsetting their lawyers & PTP by pasting everything...) says:

10. This magical figure of £2Bn was mentioned about 18-24 months ago.

Those "savings" were made by slashing programmes I'd say were highly relevant to current ops, never mind Cold War turkeys. In fact, from what I can gather, the entire saving was made on one programme, although it is difficult to be precise as it has been fragmented and parts hived off to other IPTs. So, capability cut, and the remainder deferred by many years.

So this must be yet another cut.

11. His new budget halts orders for fighterjets in favour of cheap, low-tech weapons such as unmanned drones - Think tank report.

Except he didn't halt all F22 orders, ramped up F35 etc. Are these experts predicting that future conflicts will be the same as current ones?

At a time manufacturing industry needs all the help it can get, how can anyone but an economist propose cuting these projects?

12. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Could it be the money saved by pulling out of Iraq?

Your not there so you don't need it. Or maybe I'm being cynical!

13. The figure looks like a cut as it provides for ops this year, but not next year. We won't know the estimates for next years figures until much later on in 2009.

As for cutting major programmes - easy to say, but when the cancellation cost is almost as great as the procurement cost in most cases, it does seem a little stupid!

14. Then it seems the only sensible way and to save live in Stan, that the troops go onto a purely defensive mode, as they will have to account for each and every bullit they use.

OR a progressive withdrawl from overseas operations, you can't fight any war of the cheap, it does and will cost more lives!!

Unless you bring back limited National Service when they did after WW2 when the country was in the last load of sh1te, or form Penal regiments and get them to earn their keep!!

15. US DoD often proposes cutting programmes they know Congress doesn't want them to, gambling that Congress will vote more funds to keep pet programmes alive. This might well happen to F22 and C17.

Once a programme actually goes into production, they tend to be very difficult to kill. I wonder how many Zumwalts will actually get built? My guess is that Congress will vote a few more to keep BIW going once the 3 on order are under construction.