Cuts in The Infantry

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by chiefwiggum, Nov 10, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Mirror today reports that the Black Watch is under serious threat of being cut in the next round of defence spending. If the Infantry were allowed to vote out a regt or two which would it be. :?:

2. Wonder why they are picking on the Black Watch again :evil: - the rumour mill is rife with who's going to go.......I guess we won't know until they announce it, but it will be a crying shame whomever it affects.

Very interesting articles in the Sunday Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-887132,00.html

It appears that the Government are going to push through a whole bunch of measures affecting everybody, regular and reserves alike, decided upon from pre Telic and to hell with the learnings.. :evil:

3. msr

msr LE

From the article:

The Army Reserve will make up 15% of deployed forces, compared with the 10% contributed by territorials to manpower stationed in Iraq. Soldiers would be expected to be more readily available for service, with no lengthy notice period for employers

I thought the TA made up 25% of manpower in Iraq at the moment....

msr

4. Ah the hanks of a grateful Govt.

I like the Dream tank - al the up of Chally 2 and light enough to fit in your Bergen, a master stroke.

5. :roll: I agree that whoever is affected by the cuts will be sorely missed.
    I also wonder how the Army Reserve will function as I'm sure many current TA soldiers will need to re-consider their positions. I am not knocking the average TA soldiers commitment with this statement (I had 10 years in the TA )but will it affect employment prospects if you delare you are on a relatively high state of readiness and could be called upon with little notice. Is it possible that 15% of Army manpower is over optimistic ?

6. KINGOs - any cuts there could also be viewed as a crime prevention measure.

RHF - Getting rid of 600 obnoxious Jock dwarves cannot be seen as a bad thing.

QLR - Another bunch of Northern monkies.

RRW - Getting rid of 600 obnoxious Welsh dwarves cannot be seen as a bad thing.

Both Bns of RRF - To prevent any of the above transferring in when their respective Bns get the needle.

7. No changes there then LG? Lessons, Learned, Labour....which word beginning with the letter 'L' is the odd man out?

8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Hmmm. Only if they are made to stay in Iraq after disbandment.

Other cuts for consideration:

1 DWR - boost the population of Fiji

Irish Guards - see KINGOS

Any Scots regiment - and put the money towards paying for that fcuking stupid Parliament Building

D&D - any regiment that sounds like a brand of sweets ought to go

9. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

From the article:
    Lengthy notice period - we're having a laugh here are we?

Cheif Wiggum said

You think????

Bloody hell what's the matter with the MOD. (no don't answer that)

Scary

10. This is crazy.

Who else will be affected across the Regular Army and TA (although, to be honest, the quicker it becomes 'Army Reserve' the better ... maybe it can scrap the horrific yellow/green logo at change-over!)

11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

To answer an earlier comment, currently well over 20% of Army personnel in Iraq are reserves/TA.

As to employers - the REME have already been warned by an ex-REME General (a very rare beast) who is a big knob in the DMA - Defence Manufacturer's Association - that they were happy to support a war, but that the Government shouldn't take the pi*s in peace - i.e. now. In veiled terms, he mentioned not wanting to cover for overstretch (i.e. problems caused by previous cuts).

I doubt that MoD will take a blind bit of notice, so I expect that this will make TA retention even more dificult than it is at present. Recruiting, I believe, will stay much as it always has done (historically, remarkably steady - doesn't really get affected by war, peace, terrorism, government, anything much really). What will be more difficult is persuading employers that they are getting a good deal out of it - very few are altruistic about "supporting the Country" over in the UK :?

12. The cynic in me says that if people realised that 25% of the guys in Iraq where TA, voters might start to think that the Army was being overstretched...

13. Gave this to my boss this morning away he went to read it, 5 Mins later, Where the **** did you get this why ask i " It was not meant to be released yet" **** up, :lol: :lol: :lol: incoming to an office near you!!!!!!!!!

14. I think the gov has just hit upon the answer to the retention problem!! Every time you fall 600 men short on recruiting just sack another Regt/Bn and thats not only saving costs but clearing up a shortfall. Classic way of reducing undermanning and a fav of the RA :evil:

15. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

38%