Cuts in Police Officers On The Beat.

Start of the rot setting in? How can they cut a service that has been so drastically destroyed by the previous govenrnment?
It's rare enough to see a cop around my way....Nonce's will be having a field day if this happens.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Budget-Cuts-Means-Police-Numbers-Are-Not-Sustainable-Acpo-Police-Chief-Sir-Hugh-Orde-Warns/Article/201006415656380?lpos=Politics_First_Poilitics_Article_Teaser_Regi_0&lid=ARTICLE_15656380_Budget_Cuts_Means_Police_Numbers_Are_Not_Sustainable%2C_Acpo_Police_Chief_Sir_Hugh_Orde_Warns

One of the UK's most senior policemen has warned that the number of officers on the streets could fall as a result of the Government's cuts.

Sir Hugh Orde, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers, said the number of bobbies on the beat is not "sustainable".

He told the Acpo annual conference it was "misleading in the extreme" to imply critical duties will not be affected when budgets are slashed.

Home Secretary Theresa May also attended the event and told officers: "The cuts will be big, they will be tough to achieve, and cuts will fall on the police as they will on other important public services."

Sir Hugh also called on the Government to organise the savings centrally rather than leaving it up to each police force to decide what to cut.

He said the public are best protected when police services across the country are "combined seamlessly".

The senior policeman wants the Government to clarify its vision for the service and offer more guidance.

"I am confident that colleagues will work tirelessly to achieve savings by collaborating but remain of the view that there is more potential if this is centrally led in a more strategic way," he added.

Mrs May announced she would scrap the policing pledge introduced by the previous government and wanted to reduce bureaucracy.

albimangles said:
If they cut all the useless Police community support officers they would not need to cut the real police force.
Defo, they've been my pet hate in regards to public expenditure ever since the conception of them... useless w@nkers

For a few extra grand we can have REAL police officers or perhaps spend a bit more on the recruitment of Special Constables.

Would rather see 2 fully trained and equipped PC's on the beat than 3 PCSO's

I did not notice if they were going to cut police pay like the Irish have. Or are they saving that for the inevitable next round emergency budget as the economy goes belly up and panic really sets in?

Maybe the Chief Constable's expensive nights out dining on the finest steak and faberge eggs with champagne are catching up to him? The whores at the Hilton hotel maybe? Who knows...

First thing to have a look at is ACPO.

We pay Chief Constables to run the Constabulary and then we pay them through ACPO to advise HMG. Whiff of a trough there somewhere.

Next - Chief Constables official car. Our top bod has a very nice A8 with driver. I'm not sure it is strictly necessary.

Retiring at 50 - yeah right. Too old to be out on the beat then light duties around the station on a reduced salary.

I would say merge some of the smaller forces but they would somehow insist that a larger force had bigger salaries.

Remove the pension of any officer above inspector rank that uses the words 'Police Service'.

If the PCSO's got binned then you wouldnt have nothing, especially where I live. The only time I see Police now is when the are doing speed checks or are pulling over drivers, I cant remember when I saw a bobby on the beat.

The Met has already sent letters to all those who had passed all the tests, interviews, medicals etc and who were waiting a start date, that there will be no intake of new police this year! :x

raspberry said:
Maybe the Chief Constable's expensive nights out dining on the finest steak and faberge eggs with champagne are catching up to him? The whores at the Hilton hotel maybe? Who knows...
To be fair, it can't be easy eating one of these

Mentalist said:
^ may be libellous ... want to take it down?
If you really care about libellous statements, I think your in the wrong place :D

The only uniforms on the beat around here are the PCSO's. There was a bod on radio this morning, saying that the cuts could be made by working out what jobs in the back rooms needed a PC to do, and what could be done by a cheaper and better qualified for the task civvie, freeing up qualified police to get out of the station doing the day job.

Made sense to me.

spike7451 said:
Start of the rot setting in? How can they cut a service that has been so drastically destroyed by the previous govenrnment?
It's rare enough to see a cop around my way....Nonce's will be having a field day if this happens.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Budget-Cuts-Means-Police-Numbers-Are-Not-Sustainable-Acpo-Police-Chief-Sir-Hugh-Orde-Warns/Article/201006415656380?lpos=Politics_First_Poilitics_Article_Teaser_Regi_0&lid=ARTICLE_15656380_Budget_Cuts_Means_Police_Numbers_Are_Not_Sustainable%2C_Acpo_Police_Chief_Sir_Hugh_Orde_Warns

One of the UK's most senior policemen has warned that the number of officers on the streets could fall as a result of the Government's cuts.

Sir Hugh Orde, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers, said the number of bobbies on the beat is not "sustainable".

He told the Acpo annual conference it was "misleading in the extreme" to imply critical duties will not be affected when budgets are slashed.

Home Secretary Theresa May also attended the event and told officers: "The cuts will be big, they will be tough to achieve, and cuts will fall on the police as they will on other important public services."

Sir Hugh also called on the Government to organise the savings centrally rather than leaving it up to each police force to decide what to cut.

He said the public are best protected when police services across the country are "combined seamlessly".

The senior policeman wants the Government to clarify its vision for the service and offer more guidance.

"I am confident that colleagues will work tirelessly to achieve savings by collaborating but remain of the view that there is more potential if this is centrally led in a more strategic way," he added.

Mrs May announced she would scrap the policing pledge introduced by the previous government and wanted to reduce bureaucracy.
My bold. The way I read the above, ACPO are playing politics by hinting that they must cut beat police. I do hope Theresa May tells them to stfu and do what they're paid to do--manage their staff & budget, not try and dump it back on central government so ACPO keeps its fingers clean.

ACPO were looking for a bite, Spike bit. :cry:

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
flamingo said:
The only uniforms on the beat around here are the PCSO's. There was a bod on radio this morning, saying that the cuts could be made by working out what jobs in the back rooms needed a PC to do, and what could be done by a cheaper and better qualified for the task civvie, freeing up qualified police to get out of the station doing the day job.

Made sense to me.
To be honest this is a pretty meaningless statement,to a degree this has been done over the past 5-6 years,many of the jobs being filled by retired officers etc. There are still warrant carrying vermin hiding in the back offices in some posts and they need to be dragged out screaming onto the street but i doubt there are many savings to be made this way.
The real savings can be made by deconstructing the performance monitoring structures established under the last shower of shite, oh and sack the PCSOS! :D

JINGO said:
flamingo said:

Made sense to me.
To be honest this is a pretty meaningless statement,to a degree this has been done over the past 5-6 years,many of the jobs being filled by retired officers etc. There are still warrant carrying vermin hiding in the back offices in some posts and they need to be dragged out screaming onto the street but i doubt there are many savings to be made this way.
The real savings can be made by deconstructing the performance monitoring structures established under the last shower of shite, oh and sack the PCSOS! :D
Of course, the next question is, if they are still capable of doing these jobs, why are they retired (and presumably drawing pensions)?

To quote a famous lady of easy virtue; "He would say that wouldn't he". If he can't manage his resources perhaps he should hand over to someone who can.

Perhaps we could see a slow transitioning of PCSO's to becoming PC's within a few years?...

And cutting off the useless ones! :D

I cant see how they can cut the numbers of police on the beat around here, I have only seen two coppers walking the beat in the last ten years. Cut that by 50% and its either two coppers every 20 years or 1 copper every 10 years. We don't even have Tardises any more and the police stations all close at night. Looks like we'll be back to the old night watchman with brazier at nights in future. Smokeless fuel of course.