Cuts are starting....

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
Closet_Jibber said:
This could start to have ill effects for Experienced TA soldier retention.
When you've done 10+ years and get sarcastic remarks about not attending bone weekends run by throbbers, then get fcuked about from pillar to post when you do turn up, it can seriously dent your morale. I'm off on Camp this weekend, but I am well past the stage where I give a sh1t what some WO says about 'why didn't you come up to the FTX w/e?'.

Command_doh said:
Closet_Jibber said:
This could start to have ill effects for Experienced TA soldier retention.
When you've done 10+ years and get sarcastic remarks about not attending bone weekends run by throbbers, then get fcuked about from pillar to post when you do turn up, it can seriously dent your morale. I'm off on Camp this weekend, but I am well past the stage where I give a sh1t what some WO says about 'why didn't you come up to the FTX w/e?'.
You are maybe.

I still keep intouch with The old TA lads and most are either leaving or transfering to bounty hunter units/trades with little to no chance of mobilisation. They have had enough of the current climate where you are expected to only attend weekends that involve you falling asleep on the way to work on Monday morning. There needs to be a healthy balance.

I'm not suggesting 50% AT weekends however I am suggesting their needs to be enough light at the end of the tunnel to keep the volunteers volunteering.

[quote="Closet_Jibber]I'm not suggesting 50% AT weekends however I am suggesting their needs to be enough light at the end of the tunnel to keep the volunteers volunteering.[/quote]

That's where a combination of AT, MATT weekend training and low intensity mil skill and trade training weekends fall into place, the ones where you wrap up at your unit by 16:00 and then have the evening to recover/spend with your family. Ditto for Regt Development Weekends, back early for tea and toast and then away. The high tempo training has to be balanced with a lower tempo, and I am inclined to think that for many units the lower tempo should take priority given the dual commitment of TA soldiers.

Praetorian said:
To be fair, would that be a bad thing? As long as it was trimming the dead wood and not binning efficient soldiers who want to do the job, I'd settle for a smaller but more professional and respected TA.
The problem is that every single cut to the TA has been announced as making it "smaller but more professional". To me, it felt like this happened every three or four years from the mid-1980s when I joined, until the mid-00s when I left. (Except for that time in the late 1980s when the TA was increased in size to 72,000, increased in equipment scales, but then we were going to be "larger and more professional")

Did we recruit "dead wood" into the system after the last time we trimmed it? Did we transform efficient soldiers into "dead wood"? Or didn't we get rid of enough "dead wood" last time we turned Companies into Platoons?

In reality, it's a cut. It's meant as a cut. It's intended to save money, by removing capability that is felt to be "least justifiable" compared with what we can afford. We make the best of it by trying to hold on to our best people, but saying "trimming the dead wood" misses the point.

Beyond a certain point, you drop below a critical mass. You can call a location of 50 or 60 regular attenders two "Troops" rather than a "Company", but all it really means is that one or two losers get heaved, and there isn't a slot for all of the JNCOs, SNCOs, and Officers you need to run interesting and well-organised training, assuming that they don't all turn up for every training night and weekend.

Because you've lost the "Company" description, suddenly your stores are fifty miles further away (you've got rid of a civvy storesman, NRPS SNCO, and PSAO to manage it, remember), and exchanges become a nightmare. You have to bid for silva compasses a week in advance and have them delivered, instead of nipping downstairs to the Company store. The vehicles, tentage, norwegian containers you had get backloaded. You aren't scaled for a chef or VM any more, so when the one you have leaves, you can't officially recruit and train anyone to replace them (no LSN means no bid for a place on a B3 chef's course).

You've still got the same 50 or 60 people, you suddenly have to work harder to achieve anything. Yes, it can be very successful (I spent my first two years as a Pl Comd in a Platoon location) but it's much more sensitive to changeovers in key posts.

After a couple of years of hard graft, key people drift away. Soon, you have 40 or 50 people. Then 30 or 40. Soon, only a few old dinosaurs can remember "when we used to take a full Company away on a weekend, just from this location". Suddenly, someone announces that the location will shrink to one troop, not two, because there's only a platoon of regular attenders anyway, and it's a chance to "trim the dead wood"...

I joined a TA that had nearly seven battalions of infantry in Scotland; I left a TA that had two and a half. Now, the strength of my old TA battalion is less than that of its two local UOTCs (and no, the UOTCs haven't grown).

This, I fear, is a sign of the times.

msr

TangoZeroAlpha said:
Just heard our unit's Battlefield Tour has been canned because of cuts to MTDs...
I'd heard BSs ( Battlefield Studies, DOOO keep up... ) have been cancelled as the budget was blown by people booking eg. luxury coaches, expensive hotels etc.

Does this mean more of this

blank rounds to be replaced with the words bang and/or daga daga daga.

and less of

adventure training

The_Duke

LE
Bravo_Bravo said:
TangoZeroAlpha said:
Just heard our unit's Battlefield Tour has been canned because of cuts to MTDs...
I'd heard BSs ( Battlefield Studies, DOOO keep up... ) have been cancelled as the budget was blown by people booking eg. luxury coaches, expensive hotels etc.
Battlefield studies/staff rides can still be done, but the budgetary issues are considerable.

The tours must be relevant to those doing them (ie relevant to trade and rank) with suitable preparation and post ex consolidation work.

If this is all done, then limited budgetary support can be achieved, along with PRI and personal contributions. As B_B has said, the days of 5 * horseback tours of Islandhwana are pretty much gone - the direction is for locations much closer to hope.

To the original poster - you should also look much closer to home. The system still supports them, but it appears that your unit may not. Are they in a panic about MTDs/T&E this early in the year?

The_Duke said:
If this is all done, then limited budgetary support can be achieved, along with PRI and personal contributions. As B_B has said, the days of 5 * horseback tours of Islandhwana are pretty much gone - the direction is for locations much closer to hope.
Like it :)

msr

The_Duke

LE
msr said:
The_Duke said:
Like it :)

msr
Sorry - sausage fingers. To clarify - with so much military history a mere ferry ride away, people should not be spending fortunes on airfares. The aim is to learn by studying historical examples, not get max airmiles and a sun tan.

Which is why we have blokes in St Mere Eglise at the moment, others heading to Ranville with 3 Para, and the recce for Arnhem in September was a great success.

Budgets - I shite 'em :D

Denied bid was for a BS of Normandy, for the staff of an RTC.

The_Rattler said:
Does this mean more of this

blank rounds to be replaced with the words bang and/or daga daga daga.

and less of

adventure training
Dont be ridiculous, quite obviously it will be a little flag that extends out of the barrel with "POP" written on.

tropper66 said:
The 250 Anerversary of the QRL has been toned right down and none of the Regimental assosiation invited and no real reason given,
i thought they were formed in 1992? not 1759

@ The Duke.. I was looking forward to going to Merville, but don't tell anybody.

The_Duke

LE
Bravo_Bravo said:
@ The Duke.. I was looking forward to going to Merville, but don't tell anybody.
I won't if you don't mention that the bridge taken by the fast walking types is also worth a visit!

MrTracey said:
Is this behind the RF review of HQs? If the Div and Regional Bde structures are up for grabs, the impact on the TA structure could be significant.

But is a small, agile Reserve realistic? If it is, then I think it's coming - the signs are already there. If it isn't, we'd better say so now before the TA becomes a training cycle for Ops.
Rumor I've heard is that Divs are being targetted instead of RF Bdes. This has some logic, as on the resilience side, Bdes are the right level to engage with 3-5 LRFs and the JRLO system works well. Bde Comds are capable individuals without being too olympian.

(also it didn't help that apparently 4 Div didn't answer the phone during op outlook and 43 Bde went straight to SJC)