Cut off dead

We hat this once with NFU* insurance on a renewal.
it transpired that the none native English speaking service agent had repeatedly transposed the cc numbers until the transaction was blocked by the bank .
Sod that and went else where

* No F****** Use

giatttt

War Hero
I had an issue once where the credit check reported that I did not live at the address I gave because they were in the very small minority that use the electoral roll as their primary reference and it had not been updated.

Surely it was just because you used to be a copper?

That, rather strangely, may have been a plus point as an undischarged debt in the job is (or was) a sackable offence.

I only personally knew of one copper who did not quickly sort themselves out. They did everything they could to help the guy, who was eventually sacked - chucked overtime at him etc. He and his missus were the sort of people who could not go from one year to the next without a new fitted kitchen etc. You just could not help them.

endure

GCM
Even though you might be a financial nightmare up to your back teeth in debt... just as long as you keep making that minimum payment, we'll give you more.
No - they use your whole financial record to assess the risk. If your credit cards are maxed out they won't be interested in you. They have a full record of what you owe to who. Credit cards, leccy bills, Sky subs, the lot.

I'm signed up with the free credit check agencies and get a monthly email telling me what my credit score is.

Last year I booked a holiday on a credit card. The month after my credit score dropped with all of the agencies I'm signed with because I'd used more than 25% of my available credit on the card booking the holiday. They all told me specifically that this was why my credit score had dropped.

You can signup for free with Clearscore.

Last year I booked a holiday on a credit card. The month after my credit score dropped with all of the agencies I'm signed with because I'd used more than 25% of my available credit on the card booking the holiday. They all told me specifically that this was why my credit score had dropped.

You can signup for free with Clearscore.

A thought has just occurred - a major attraction of using a credit card is having the extra protection if what you buy is fraudulent / substandard. Does that protection still exist if the debt is paid off on the card? I've never had to use it myself so it's a bit unclear.

eg. I spot a holiday I want and make the booking in April. I pay that off on the card by the end of April, go on my holiday mid-May and find the hotel has been demolished. Is there still recourse through Visa, Mastercard etc. or having paid off the debt is their obligation finished and it's a job for travel insurance?

I'm signed up with the free credit check agencies and get a monthly email telling me what my credit score is.

How do you get into that? I had a free trial period with one of the main credit agencies. I just let it lapse after the free period as it was quite boring and didn't really reveal anything of any interest.

endure

GCM
How do you get into that? I had a free trial period with one of the main credit agencies. I just let it lapse after the free period as it was quite boring and didn't really reveal anything of any interest.
My link above will get you a free credit score email every months.

A thought has just occurred - a major attraction of using a credit card is having the extra protection if what you buy is fraudulent / substandard. Does that protection still exist if the debt is paid off on the card? I've never had to use it myself so it's a bit unclear.

eg. I spot a holiday I want and make the booking in April. I pay that off on the card by the end of April, go on my holiday mid-May and find the hotel has been demolished. Is there still recourse through Visa, Mastercard etc. or having paid off the debt is their obligation finished and it's a job for travel insurance?
You might find this to be of interest.

Or google section 75 credit cards.

endure

GCM

If you use a credit card to pay for it and it's over £100 you're protected by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

If you use a credit card to pay for it and it's over £100 you're protected by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

I have only once had occasion to use that. I bought a photo scanner through an Italian electrical retail warehouse (ostensibly with a UK presence) about a year or so ago.

Long story short the item did not come and it soon became evident that it never would.

Prior due diligence through Trustpilot was a waste of time. The reviews were a bit mixed but nothing too concerning. I soon found out why. If a company complains about a negative review, Trustpilot just take it down. My highly negative but fully detailed review lasted about a day. (Must have crap mods there as well.)

So a one * review for Trustpilot, as well.

Got my money back under Sec 75 so I just let it go.

RTU'd

LE
When I renewed my insurance last through compare the market it took me to the Churchill site.
However before the payment went through Nationwide texted me with a one of code.
Done and dusted & then Churchill, the insurance company not the man rang to welcome be back.

Compare sites good but credit card companies very jittery these days over credit card fraud.

rehab44

Old-Salt
I have had similar problems, due to my bank changing from Visa (debit and credit) cards to MasterCard. My bank informed that there might be some ‘minor hiccups’ when using online

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I dont understand this credit score rating thing.
In my sixties, no mortgage, pay credit card off every month and have never been refused a loan.
Years back curiosity almost got the better of me, and I thought I’d see what my credit rating was but what put me off was when I was filling in my details.
Hang on I thought, with all this info I’m putting in no wonder fraud is so viral, so I didn’t and haven’t.
So what’s the point in this credit score, does it only effect the younger generation?

The latest advert makes me laugh when this woman says she needed a loan for a bunk bed, “WHAT? You can’t afford a bed for your kids, bloody hell”, then she goes on to say she got a store card, something I’ve never had and kitted out the whole house, “feck me how much debt is this woman in?

endure

GCM
I dont understand this credit score rating thing.
In my sixties, no mortgage, pay credit card off every month and have never been refused a loan.
Years back curiosity almost got the better of me, and I thought I’d see what my credit rating was but what put me off was when I was filling in my details.
Hang on I thought, with all this info I’m putting in no wonder fraud is so viral, so I didn’t and haven’t.
So what’s the point in this credit score, does it only effect the younger generation?

The latest advert makes me laugh when this woman says she needed a loan for a bunk bed, “WHAT? You can’t afford a bed for your kids, bloody hell”, then she goes on to say she got a store card, something I’ve never had and kitted out the whole house, “feck me how much debt is this woman in?
It affects anybody who's looking for all sorts of things. If you search online for next year's car insurance there'll be a 'soft' (one which doesn't affect your credit score) search placed on your file. Open a new bank account, change energy supplier, swap your broadband provider. All recorded.

anglo

LE
It affects anybody who's looking for all sorts of things. If you search online for next year's car insurance there'll be a 'soft' (one which doesn't affect your credit score) search placed on your file. Open a new bank account, change energy supplier, swap your broadband provider. All recorded.
The funny thing with credit score is, if you never borrow money** or buy things on tick,
your credit score is low

**A part from mortgage and a car

Why not check your credit score by signing up with one of the credit agencies, like Experian or Money Supermarket? You'll be able to see who is making checks about your reliability.

You're entitled to free access for info about yourself.

I check mine occasionally to make sure what cards and loans are registered to me after someone tried to take out a credit card in my name.

Latest Threads