Cut off age for Officer at SF selection

Juice

Clanker
Hello,

Been trying to find info on the upper age limit for SF selection for an officer. Remember reading somewhere couple of years ago that its 32 for a soldier 30 for an Officer, is this still so?. If successful at Main Board, which starts this Monday, I'll be going in to Sandhurst at the ripe age of 29.

Is there still a chance for me to at least be eligible for selection after I commision and get the 2 years of service before applying?

Hello,

Been trying to find info on the upper age limit for SF selection for an officer. Remember reading somewhere couple of years ago that its 32 for a soldier 30 for an Officer, is this still so?. If successful at Main Board, which starts this Monday, I'll be going in to Sandhurst at the ripe age of 29.

Is there still a chance for me to at least be eligible for selection after I commision and get the 2 years of service before applying?
Once you're at RMAS you'll get the briefing that will let you know; you'll also be able to search for the appropriate DIN that will have all the details.

I would concentrate on:

1. Passing Main Board;
2. Commissioning; and
3. Getting some experience at unit.

First.

Good luck at AOSB.

Juice

Clanker
Once you're at RMAS you'll get the briefing that will let you know; you'll also be able to search for the appropriate DIN that will have all the details.

I would concentrate on:

1. Passing Main Board;
2. Commissioning; and
3. Getting some experience at unit.

First.
Cheers, I know that SF selection is not something that should be approached lightly, and that thinking about it at this early stage is quite ambitious, but if somebody knows for definite that if I get to Sandhurst at 29, theres no chance I'd get to go for SF selection, it would be helpful to know before hand.

Juice

Clanker
Tappets first sentence seems to provide the information you are seeking. If you need to know before, then why are you joining?
I dont need to know before, but it would be nice to know. I tried researching online, but most sources are from about 8 years ago. Was wondering if anyone here knows. It is a bit strange to meet only resistance to the question, so far. I get it, shouldn't be thinking thay far ahead, maybe, but it doesnt hurt to know either.

I dont need to know before, but it would be nice to know. I tried researching online, but most sources are from about 8 years ago. Was wondering if anyone here knows. It is a bit strange to meet only resistance to the question, so far. I get it, shouldn't be thinking thay far ahead, maybe, but it doesnt hurt to know either.
I honestly cannot remember the age limit - however it might not be publicised for good reason.

No matter if the age limit is 29 or 49, you can't do much to change that, so it doesn't really matter if you find out now, or half way through training.

Get fit. Get fitter. Join a unit that will develop you to your best potential. Apply for SF.

Good luck.

Juice

Clanker
I honestly cannot remember the age limit - however it might not be publicised for good reason.

No matter if the age limit is 29 or 49, you can't do much to change that, so it doesn't really matter if you find out now, or half way through training.

Get fit. Get fitter. Join a unit that will develop you to your best potential. Apply for SF.

Good luck.
Cheers mate!

skymacuk

Old-Salt
Hello,

according to the current DIN, there is no upper age limit for soldier or officer ( you just need to be able to give a certain amount of ROS)

Scoff House Gen is there has been a 46yo who passed Joint Selection in the last couple of years and is now at Poole, also there has been a few SP in their 40's who have passed SRR ( obviously i wouldn't put my eyebrows on this, but i heard it from a badged bloke)

I believe it is now linked to ability to give a couple of jobs before likelihood of promotion to Major.

It is a bit strange to meet only resistance to the question, so far. I get it, shouldn't be thinking thay far ahead, maybe, but it doesnt hurt to know either.

You haven't started Sandhurst yet, and after Sandhurst you will have PCBC and then you will spend some time actually commanding a Platoon, maybe some more courses, a tour, some other job in or outside of your battalion, and then and only then can you think about applying for Selection. The rules 4 or 5 years from now could be totally different, they change all the time, not just for Selection but for, well, everything. So when people tell you to focus only on what's immediately ahead of you, that's sound advice.

RTU'd

LE
I once issued a Major in 22SAS with some ammo pouches when they were at our unit.
Think it was between jobs/missions, softly spoken, very polite & got the kit quickly.
He was about 35yrs old & went on to become 22SAS CO.

I once issued a Major in 22SAS with some ammo pouches when they were at our unit.
Think it was between jobs/missions, softly spoken, very polite & got the kit quickly.
He was about 35yrs old & went on to become 22SAS CO.

Epic dit, bro. Got any more?

WhiskeyTango

Old-Salt
You haven't started Sandhurst yet, and after Sandhurst you will have PCBC and then you will spend some time actually commanding a Platoon, maybe some more courses, a tour, some other job in or outside of your battalion, and then and only then can you think about applying for Selection. The rules 4 or 5 years from now could be totally different, they change all the time, not just for Selection but for, well, everything. So when people tell you to focus only on what's immediately ahead of you, that's sound advice.
By the same token, the only officer from my unit that's got in lately was adamant from briefing course onwards that he wanted to do it. Badged as a first job Lt.

OP - set your sights on your target but keep your goals largely to yourself because people find very vocally ambitious junior officers incredibly annoying - especially if that officer hasn't yet done anything to prove he could achieve anything greater.

I'd also suggest that you evaluate your career and goals every year and be very open with yourself.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I believe it is now linked to ability to give a couple of jobs before likelihood of promotion to Major.

Please either post in English or stop drinking seawater.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
If I was aspiring to join an SF unit I would definitely post about it in a public forum before I was in and subject to Sy clearances...

Hello,

Just wait until you've spent a few nights in the field getting bugged out at 11pm and 4am, then you'll chin that idea off and join the AGC.

Please either post in English or stop drinking seawater.

With a move to length of service vice age limited careers in the Army (and in particular, opening and closing of zones for the BL), lots of previous “must be done by age XX” are changing. In this case, there’s a desire to get at least two Captain’s jobs out of an Officer before they’re in the running for the BL and ICSC(L).

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
With a move to length of service vice age limited careers in the Army (and in particular, opening and closing of zones for the BL), lots of previous “must be done by age XX” are changing. In this case, there’s a desire to get at least two Captain’s jobs out of an Officer before they’re in the running for the BL and ICSC(L).

That makes much more sense, thank you.

Latest Threads