Customs charge on item from the US

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by saintstone, Feb 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just wondering if any HM Revenue and Custome gurus are lurking and could give advice. I purchased a small backpack from the Orange County Chopper website for my nephew ( mad on motorcycles) paid £24 for the bag and £13 for P&P. This morning, whilst out, Royal Mail came and left a card informing me of a Customs charge of £12.39 for to be paid before I could pick it up or they'd deliver. Now, this seems a bit extortionate considering the value of the item, could anyone give me some relevant info on this. I don't mind paying a charge, but this seems to be kicking the arrse out of it. All help appreciated.
  2. Cheers, Legallybald. They've charged £1 handling fee, but the rest comes under the Customs charge, I can under stand a % being paid, but almost 50% does seem a trifle excessive, especially as I've never had to pay this before.
  3. It hacks me off that, on top of rip-off customs charges, you then have to pay the PO/Parcelforce another £8 "handling fee" for the privilege of collecting the parcel from their depot!
  4. I buy bits from E-bay (USA version) from across the Pond

Like you I got stung first time for tax...

The knack is for the sender to mark the item as 'Gift'

No more tax!!
    Of course the sender has to agree - which is not always the case...
    so you need to check first before buying
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I don't condone this but a friend of mine would not mind paying the customs but objects to being charged by the post office for the privilege of paying tax has a coping strategy.

He asks anyone sending things from the states to remove any packaging and invoices etc and then add a little note saying 'Dear Mr not BuggerAll I am returning xxx to you because it did not fit' or something similar.

Although this is a morally dubious practise I think it is immoral that one has to pay the Post Office for the privilege of paying duty. If the duty is not high enough for the Government to pay the cost of collecting it then they should not collect it. Rip Off Britian.
  6. Seeing as it came from a TV prog based website I doubt it very much, although Paul Teutel Sr does have a dubious past.
  7. Saint: ''although Paul Teutel Sr does have a dubious past.''

I'll let you tell him!! :D
  8. He openly admits in the programme to his past and his use of drugs and alcohol.
  9. What always bugged me was having to pay VAT and import duty on postage costs as well. And, IIRC, the icing on the cake was paying import duty on the VAT as well! Bieving Thastards.
  10. i had this problem with some perfume i bought as a christmas present. ended up paying nearly seventeen quid including p.o charges. the company i bought it from stated on their website that (although not binding), they 'may' reimburse any customs (etc.) charges incurred in the uk (as a goodwill gesture). emailed them thinking yeh, whatever, and lo and behold return email saying no probs, ten days later money in account. impressed? to say the least!
  11. Ah, so that is the dubious bit of his past. I thought it was his cameo in the Blue Oyster Bar scene in Police Academy. :)
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Use a courier company like DHL etc. They don't do the governments job for them.
  13. Fine when your US supplier gives you an option many will not, but beware if the courier gets nobbled by the customs, and all courier stuff does go through customs, some charge a lot more than the post office to collect the cash of you.
  14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Maybe in your experience, but of all the times I've ordered stuff from the US not once have I been asked to pay anything to customs when I've used DHL.