Custom Walking Kit

I thought I'd post a pic of my customised dog-walking kit which I put together myself. (Bear in mind I live in Hong Kong and hill walking here has different needs to the UK).

I found the shoulder harness from somewhere and put it on a small framed ruck which sits low on the back. I'd sewn and glued a 'hard' belt (i.e. one which has a plastic insert and so won't sag when you add pouches).

Walking kit - Copy.jpg
Key:
1. Water tube and mouthpiece
2. KA-Bar knife
3. 0.5 litres emergency water
4. First aid & survival kit, matches, etc.
5. Leatherman
6. Rain poncho made from a 'skinned' umbrella
7. Ruck with 3.5 litre water bag, spare dog bowl, compass, odds & sods
8. Silicone dog bowl
9. Princeton torch
10. Binoculars & scrim scarf
11. 0.5 litres water for Bella & Tigger
12. Bottle of alcohol snake deterrent
13. 'Hard' belt
14. Telephone pouch
15. Whistle
16. Shoulder harness
17. 18 inch machete carried over right shoulder

All-up weight about 12+ kilos.

When you walk by yourself I go by the motto 'better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it'. I also carry a 5 feet hickory walking staff which I made (I added carrying sling, rubber grips and foot), and have a 'hardened' waterproof camera in my pocket

Some of the places I go are 'off piste' and may not see another person for a week. 45 degree hill trails in 35C temperatures, trees blocking trails after Typhoon Vicente, wild boar, cobras, pythons - yeah, I need the kit.

I know you 'roo worriers would probably do it in your thongs with nothing but a 6 pack of XXXX and a Vegemite sandwich, but I'm a poof.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Your dog must look nails wearing that!

Four and a half litres of water?

A machete, a K-Bar and a leatherman?

Are you fighting ninjas on the Sun?

Binoculars and scrim scarf!?

For walking your ******* dogs!!!!

I've checked. You're mental.

Four and a half litres of water?

A machete, a K-Bar and a leatherman?

Are you fighting ninjas on the Sun?
You forgot underwater knife-fighting.

Binos - to see things far away - like wild-life. Scrim - all sorts of handy uses.

So you could potentially be lost for a week but you only take 1 litre of water between you and your dogs?
Eh? Count it again - 4.5 litres and I assume the hounds would **** off and find their own if it came to it. I want to be OK for 18 hours if needs be.

Every couple of years a walker goes missing in HK*, I don't intend to be one of them.

*I blame those sun ninjas.

Surely this is standard Dog Walking kit in any UK urban area that the cops won't patrol unless it's a 2 van PSU convoy?

Surely this is standard Dog Walking kit in any UK urban area that the cops won't patrol unless it's a 2 van PSU convoy?
If I lived back in the UK this is the minimum I'd carry if I lived back in Battersea. That's why I live in Hong Kong.