Custom made webbing? Any suggestions?

MrBane

LE
Moderator
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#1
Had a MilSkills Comp this week and although everything went fine, I noticed my webbing was starting to seriously rub off my arrse cheeks.
I quite fancy the idea of getting some webbing sewn and fixed up. I've seen a few lads wandering around with the stuff, and am wondering if anyone knows any reputable places to go for it?

Cheers!
 
#2
I would hang slack if i were you. As the Military slowly uptakes as to what the people on the ground are wearing, and start issuing us with good kit, like body armour undershirts, camelbaks, shades and the like, it won't be long before, we all start getting issued Osprey body armour instead of CBA, with attached pouches and accessories, and then all they have to do is issue us with the secret trauma plates when we arrive in theatre. Logistically it makes a lot of sense. That way we can train in it and get used to wearing it all the time. All be it a lot lighter with out the plates obviously!
 
#3
accidentalscaley said:
I would hang slack if i were you. As the Military slowly uptakes as to what the people on the ground are wearing, and start issuing us with good kit, like body armour undershirts, camelbaks, shades and the like, it won't be long before, we all start getting issued Osprey body armour instead of CBA, with attached pouches and accessories, and then all they have to do is issue us with the secret trauma plates when we arrive in theatre. Logistically it makes a lot of sense. That way we can train in it and get used to wearing it all the time. All be it a lot lighter with out the plates obviously!
I don't think we will as, as far as I undertand, Osprey was a one off UOR and isn't supported for 'peacetime'. There is more chance of hell freezing over than we all get issued it.
 
#4
k613 said:
accidentalscaley said:
I would hang slack if i were you. As the Military slowly uptakes as to what the people on the ground are wearing, and start issuing us with good kit, like body armour undershirts, camelbaks, shades and the like, it won't be long before, we all start getting issued Osprey body armour instead of CBA, with attached pouches and accessories, and then all they have to do is issue us with the secret trauma plates when we arrive in theatre. Logistically it makes a lot of sense. That way we can train in it and get used to wearing it all the time. All be it a lot lighter with out the plates obviously!
I don't think we will as, as far as I undertand, Osprey was a one off UOR and isn't supported for 'peacetime'. There is more chance of hell freezing over than we all get issued it.
Why the hell would you want to wear it in peacetime?
 
#5
spaz said:
k613 said:
accidentalscaley said:
I would hang slack if i were you. As the Military slowly uptakes as to what the people on the ground are wearing, and start issuing us with good kit, like body armour undershirts, camelbaks, shades and the like, it won't be long before, we all start getting issued Osprey body armour instead of CBA, with attached pouches and accessories, and then all they have to do is issue us with the secret trauma plates when we arrive in theatre. Logistically it makes a lot of sense. That way we can train in it and get used to wearing it all the time. All be it a lot lighter with out the plates obviously!
I don't think we will as, as far as I undertand, Osprey was a one off UOR and isn't supported for 'peacetime'. There is more chance of hell freezing over than we all get issued it.
Why the hell would you want to wear it in peacetime?
Fight as you train, train as you fight perhaps ?
 
#7
One_of_the_strange said:
spaz said:
k613 said:
accidentalscaley said:
I would hang slack if i were you. As the Military slowly uptakes as to what the people on the ground are wearing, and start issuing us with good kit, like body armour undershirts, camelbaks, shades and the like, it won't be long before, we all start getting issued Osprey body armour instead of CBA, with attached pouches and accessories, and then all they have to do is issue us with the secret trauma plates when we arrive in theatre. Logistically it makes a lot of sense. That way we can train in it and get used to wearing it all the time. All be it a lot lighter with out the plates obviously!
I don't think we will as, as far as I undertand, Osprey was a one off UOR and isn't supported for 'peacetime'. There is more chance of hell freezing over than we all get issued it.
Perhaps you should wear thermal underwear and cover yourself and all your kit in dust when training in the uk then.
Why the hell would you want to wear it in peacetime?
Fight as you train, train as you fight perhaps ?
Perhaps you should wear thermal underwear and cover yourself and your kit in sand and dust when training in the uk then.
 
#8
Not such a stupid suggestion. various knightly (mmmm...) orders used to train in the heavy end scale of armour and fight in lighter armour. Result....feels like floating on air........

And to be honest, you can't train to cope with weighing heavy body armour that affects your carriage of equipement, movement and shooting poistion without wearing said heavy body armour or teach Officers and SNOc's how said heavy body armour affects their men without seeing said effects on said men and themselves.....
 
#9
I would at least see what the future holds before spending money. How much will the concept of webbing change? There's no point spending a hundred and fifty now, and having to stop using it in 2010 because the new system has taken over.

You say your webbing's rubbing; have you got five utility pouches on, and so the belt's too loose and the whole lot flies up and down when you run? Buy a hippo pad and make sure the belt is tight enough to hold the lot up without the yoke, and it shouldn't bounce or rub. Failing that, cut a square off your roll mat and tape it to your arrse under your trousers. Especially useful around Marines ;)
 
#10
Kitmarlowe said:
Not such a stupid suggestion. various knightly (mmmm...) orders used to train in the heavy end scale of armour and fight in lighter armour. Result....feels like floating on air.....
I can see how that would benefit their fitness and stamina. However to suggest training in Osprey full time is a little daft. Anyone can be uncomfortable, we don't practise being cold and wet. You get issued Osprey for PDT giving you time to get used to it/sort your kit out. Should you wear Osprey to train for a stint on the Green Line or in the jungle?
 
#11
spaz said:
Kitmarlowe said:
Not such a stupid suggestion. various knightly (mmmm...) orders used to train in the heavy end scale of armour and fight in lighter armour. Result....feels like floating on air.....
I can see how that would benefit their fitness and stamina. However to suggest training in Osprey full time is a little daft. Anyone can be uncomfortable, we don't practise being cold and wet. You get issued Osprey for PDT giving you time to get used to it/sort your kit out. Should you wear Osprey to train for a stint on the Green Line or in the jungle?
Do you limit yourself to those new type of exercises which only occur indoors?
 
#12
spaz said:
Kitmarlowe said:
Not such a stupid suggestion. various knightly (mmmm...) orders used to train in the heavy end scale of armour and fight in lighter armour. Result....feels like floating on air.....
I can see how that would benefit their fitness and stamina. However to suggest training in Osprey full time is a little daft. Anyone can be uncomfortable, we don't practise being cold and wet. You get issued Osprey for PDT giving you time to get used to it/sort your kit out. Should you wear Osprey to train for a stint on the Green Line or in the jungle?
You obviously don't attend the same exercises I do.
 
G

GLESGA-NED

Guest
#13
spaz said:
Kitmarlowe said:
Not such a stupid suggestion. various knightly (mmmm...) orders used to train in the heavy end scale of armour and fight in lighter armour. Result....feels like floating on air.....
I can see how that would benefit their fitness and stamina. However to suggest training in Osprey full time is a little daft. Anyone can be uncomfortable, we don't practise being cold and wet. You get issued Osprey for PDT giving you time to get used to it/sort your kit out. Should you wear Osprey to train for a stint on the Green Line or in the jungle?

I think you are quite possibly being a little too generic old chap. Getting issued it for PDT is one thing. Getting pinged for individual trawls at short notice and not being able to train with the eqpt until in theatre is getting more and more common place these days.
 

MrBane

LE
Moderator
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#14
I agree that todays conflict has moved away from the Cold War tactics of being in a forest all by your lonesome waiting for the 3rd Shock to roll over you, and as such, the webbing we know and love is being replaced by the vest pouches. This is due to never being 'x' from a FOB, MB or resup. However, I don't think we'll ever see the end of webbing, and if it were to be replaced, guaranteed we'd keep using it for UK training.

As for the actual problem, I have hippo pads and all that good stuff, everything is fairly tight and high, it's just that a few of the heavier pouches tend to pull themselves down and into the region of my cushions. I'll try a bit more adjustment, but really, I think the sewn on and secure versions have more benefits than just comfort. You don't have to hold them down with bungees or cord for one.

Anyway, anyone actually have any suggestions as to who to go to? :)
 
#16
if i may throw my 2 pennies worth in,

why do people fell the need to buy gucci sewn together webbing? yes it probably is better than issued and so it should be for what it costs but the major drawback i see is this.

youve spent £xxx on these gucci webbing sets, all nice and snug, doesnt rub or bang about blah blah blah and low and behold on exercise for 2 weeks or so
gucci webbing malfunctions in some way, shape or form be it belt, yoke or pouches. your kit is falling out all over the area what are you going to do?

same thing happens to issued webbing and what happens? "sgt, my webbing is fcked, can i have a new set of pouches"
"you cokc pvt mong,youll get a bill but theres a new pouch"
problem solved
 
#17
If the webbing went wrong on ex, you could prob just go to your CQ and get issued a full set of PLCE webbing out for the ex and then return it once back at the end of the ex and get your bought webbing fixed - depends on CQ of course, but f he's a good bloke he'll probably be fine with it.

Dragon Supplies at Colchester do a tailoring servie for webbing and all sorts - check them out, mate.
 

Similar threads

Top