Custom made webbing? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by MrBane, Sep 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Had a MilSkills Comp this week and although everything went fine, I noticed my webbing was starting to seriously rub off my arrse cheeks.
    I quite fancy the idea of getting some webbing sewn and fixed up. I've seen a few lads wandering around with the stuff, and am wondering if anyone knows any reputable places to go for it?

Cheers!

2. I would hang slack if i were you. As the Military slowly uptakes as to what the people on the ground are wearing, and start issuing us with good kit, like body armour undershirts, camelbaks, shades and the like, it won't be long before, we all start getting issued Osprey body armour instead of CBA, with attached pouches and accessories, and then all they have to do is issue us with the secret trauma plates when we arrive in theatre. Logistically it makes a lot of sense. That way we can train in it and get used to wearing it all the time. All be it a lot lighter with out the plates obviously!

3. I don't think we will as, as far as I undertand, Osprey was a one off UOR and isn't supported for 'peacetime'. There is more chance of hell freezing over than we all get issued it.

4. Why the hell would you want to wear it in peacetime?

5. Fight as you train, train as you fight perhaps ?

6. double post

7. Perhaps you should wear thermal underwear and cover yourself and your kit in sand and dust when training in the uk then.

8. Not such a stupid suggestion. various knightly (mmmm...) orders used to train in the heavy end scale of armour and fight in lighter armour. Result....feels like floating on air........

And to be honest, you can't train to cope with weighing heavy body armour that affects your carriage of equipement, movement and shooting poistion without wearing said heavy body armour or teach Officers and SNOc's how said heavy body armour affects their men without seeing said effects on said men and themselves.....

9. I would at least see what the future holds before spending money. How much will the concept of webbing change? There's no point spending a hundred and fifty now, and having to stop using it in 2010 because the new system has taken over.

You say your webbing's rubbing; have you got five utility pouches on, and so the belt's too loose and the whole lot flies up and down when you run? Buy a hippo pad and make sure the belt is tight enough to hold the lot up without the yoke, and it shouldn't bounce or rub. Failing that, cut a square off your roll mat and tape it to your arrse under your trousers. Especially useful around Marines ;)

10. I can see how that would benefit their fitness and stamina. However to suggest training in Osprey full time is a little daft. Anyone can be uncomfortable, we don't practise being cold and wet. You get issued Osprey for PDT giving you time to get used to it/sort your kit out. Should you wear Osprey to train for a stint on the Green Line or in the jungle?

11. Do you limit yourself to those new type of exercises which only occur indoors?

12. You obviously don't attend the same exercises I do.

13. I think you are quite possibly being a little too generic old chap. Getting issued it for PDT is one thing. Getting pinged for individual trawls at short notice and not being able to train with the eqpt until in theatre is getting more and more common place these days.

14. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

I agree that todays conflict has moved away from the Cold War tactics of being in a forest all by your lonesome waiting for the 3rd Shock to roll over you, and as such, the webbing we know and love is being replaced by the vest pouches. This is due to never being 'x' from a FOB, MB or resup. However, I don't think we'll ever see the end of webbing, and if it were to be replaced, guaranteed we'd keep using it for UK training.

As for the actual problem, I have hippo pads and all that good stuff, everything is fairly tight and high, it's just that a few of the heavier pouches tend to pull themselves down and into the region of my cushions. I'll try a bit more adjustment, but really, I think the sewn on and secure versions have more benefits than just comfort. You don't have to hold them down with bungees or cord for one.

Anyway, anyone actually have any suggestions as to who to go to? :)

15. ask kit monster or search the QM section for previous posts.