custom camo from photographs

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by MostlyHarmless, Jun 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has nobody considered a generally light-coloured camouflage uniform and a bucket of dye that washes out in a 60 degree wash?

The trouble with specific camo patterns is that it's only right in one light condition - and even then depends on the wearer and the surroundings not moving.
  2. If they're raiding anywhere in Pompey, Addidas trakkies and a Nike baseball cap will provide perfect camo.
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

it used to be olive drab which when dirty would adopt the surrounding hues. the best report of this came from an book on khe sahn I read a while back when they new who was a hill grunt because he was dressed in red.

the best recent error has to be the choc chip pattern which was supposedly designed for fighting iran not iraq which was why they claimed it didnt work so well and made you stand out as the contrast was turned up too high.

I know the sovs had some strange patterns but did anyone ever wear realtree or was it just a hunting walt thing favoured by fishermen who all seem to want to be snipers nowadays.
  4. Realtree is sold widely in the more rural branches of WalMart (Wally World as it is called). It may be hard to believe but there are certain parts of the rural US where realtree and similar patterns are considered de-rigeur and to not have at least one item in your daily wear wardrobe makes you a philistine.

We have taken to calling realtree and associated patterns "Hillbilly-Cam".

If you go along to some of the outdoor stores you can buy whole wardrobes full of "Hillbilly-Cam" not to mention entire boats, quad bikes and even picnic boxes covered in the stuff:

Bass Pro Shops | Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Boating, Archery and More

Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices

Gander Mountain® > Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Outdoor Gear & Equipment : We Live Outdoors®
  5. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Ah, Bass Pro. What a shop!

Always worth a visit if you need to stock up on camping, shooting, fishing or outdoors stuff. It's like the Ikea of the outdoors world, but without the flatpacks or meatballs.
  6. Here's an example of American 'Remf' cammo that is currently being tested. It was apparently inspired by a design from Laura Ashley called 'Rose Chintz'.

Attached Files:

7. Aye but if you do wash your dpm smock/kit,you'll shine very brightly when seen through nvg you know.

8. Don't talk to me about Bass Pro and their 'price match' guarantee...

cucking funts, the lot of 'em!
  9. Go on, I'll bite, do tell.
  10. Buying a firearm, and after completing all the feckin' paperwork for a background check, waiting a week for approval (being a non-Citizen), then finally getting to ring up the gun at counter, I pointed out that Dick's Sporting Goods sold the same gun for $70 less.

Guy on counter agrees to do price match, but at last minute has to call up Helga the duty manager to approve the sale price on the till.

Helga acts like I've just tried to fart in her pocket, and after studying the Dick's catalogue for 5 minutes, triumphantly points out that Dick's are selling theirs with a free scope...which means it's a different item. No price match today, sir!

Me: "But that's crazy! They're selling a better package, and you won't even match the price?"
    Helga: "That is our policy"
    Me: "Your policy sucks - and you're about to lose a cash sale!"
    Mate: "And I was going to spend $500 on a new Glock, but I'm not going to buy from you now!"

I really did know how Richard Gere felt in "Falling Down"...they were probably lucky they didn't agree to sell it to me in the end!

Wal-mart and Dick's for me now, every time!
  11. I've found Bass pro are a bit up themselves too. Dick's seem to have some good deals at times and Wally World is my cheap source of 9mm and 5.56mm, guns I tend to buy from: Florida Gun Exchange guns firearms pistols revolvers rifles ammunition ammo knives cutlery

The Camo crackers ( CamoCraacker - Home ) seem to buy their stuff at the big shed hunters stores...........I wonder how the wife would react to me getting here beetle multicam dipped??????
  12. I love to be pedantic, but wasn't that Michael Douglas in the film "Falling Down"?

Richard Gere hasn't even had throat cancer.
  13. Indeed, you are correct sir.

Perhaps I should have just said that irritating cnut in "Falling Down', and covered all bases?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. And the most irritating thing is that they're building a new Bass Pro just 1/2 mile from my house (which even just about counts as walking distance over here!), so now I'll be goaded into browsing their store just because I can!