Custom build PC for Flight sims? What spec?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by walt_of_the_walts, Sep 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am hoping to get a new PC customs built for flight sim and air to air combat sims.

I am unsure of the spec I require. I want something that is 'future proofed' and can handle the complex data involved in such software without falling over.

So, I'm thinking of a spec along these lines.

An i5 or i7 Intel pentium processor, of at least 3.2GHz, Quad core.
    4 to 6GB of RAM
    1 TB HDD
    Graphics/video card. Can anyone suggest a good one?
    800w PSU
    Big fan to keep it all cool

Any suggestions/comments. I don't want anything, initially that is not essential, but want good performance, especially with scenery files.

I have approx £1000 to spend.
  2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Talk to the uberware chap who sponsors the site.

I'd suggest that 1TB HDD is overkill myself, but hey your choice. I'd rather go with a smaller HDD for data and stick in a solid-state for your OS and flightsim software.

Graphics card is probably your main concern, you'll want something decent along with a decent monitor.

3. Have a look at Novatech.
    Bought high end range pc from them last year and saved £££
    But would go for a SSD as the load time is quicker than standard HDD.
  4. If you go to the components section on Ebuyer, and look at the processors and motherboards, some of the reviewers list the system they built, may give you some ideas.

Don't forget AMD either, some gamers prefer them.
  5. We have built a few systems for dedicated Ship and Flight Sims. Advice wise: Intel and ATI are actually the best mix. I don't normally like pairing them up myself but for flight sims they are definitely better. More Ram the better (6 is bigger than 4) but make sure its got good timings. Solid State is an option and its fast but I have found as long as you got loads of ram and a fast hard drive like a WD Caviar Black then you should be laughing. Finally I recommend just a powerful Dual Core 3.2GHz or more is good. Quad Core is great if you are running loads of bits and bobs in the background but for dedicated games/sims processing power is more important than cores.

We can offer you something like this:

# Intel P55 Chipset Motherboard SLi/CrossfireX Ready
    # Intel i5 650 3.2GHz
    # ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024MB
    # OCZ Gold 8GB (4x2gb) Ram
    # WD Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive
    # LightScribe DVD+-RW 22x
    # 8-channel HD Audio
    # Coolermaster Elite 330 Case
    # Microsoft Windows 7 64 Home Premium

Normally £1080 but with the discount it's £972. Whether or not you buy from us we will happily give you advice and get the right PC for you.
  6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Good system there - get some CHPRO gear - stick and rudders to go with it - actually the mmo flight sim I play - WW2 based calles Aces High doesn't require that high an end system.

Welcome to Aces High
  7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Some screenies

8. That sepia shot is a screenie? Bloody hell, that's good.
  9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Up to 400 people in a single arena, you can drive stuff and pilot bombers too - here's a pic of a 109 over a bomber stream - they have awesome historical scenario's once a month. Graphics not as good as IL2 but gameplay is far better.

10. If you want to go for Nvidia, that card is a very good option. Good price too. But as I said earlier even tho i prefer Nvidia, in my opinion ATI is better for the Ship and Flight Sims.
  11. I'm going to download that game and have a play :D
  12. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Lol it's very very tough to get into as it has realistic views - ie no invisible cockpit and realistic gunnery and flight modelling (supposedly - much complaining about uber spits!) - - but good fun, split into 3 sides after chess pieces - I fly Rook as Schaden, get two weeks free trial when you start - give me a shout if you need any help, try not to make baby seal like noises as you fly around wondering wtf is going on.
  13. Sounds sound.

However some advice I picked up today was to place my OS and other stuff like IE, Office etc on one HDD and my game software on another solid state drive. The advantage being that if the OS drive gets infected/damaged, I've not lost my game data/software.

Uberware: Cheers for the offer. We might do business.

Everyone, thanks for the good advice so far. I'm getting a clearer picture of what I should be buying.

I'd be posting my some of my FSX screenshots but sadly they are on my fucked laptop! Got a nice one of the virtual me flying a T45 goshawk through an open hangar at Edwards AFB!
  14. Even if you don't buy from us, we are still happy to give you advice and help :D