Curtains

Hi
I have been told that i have to pay for my curtains to be cleaned on march out (£60 for the cleaning service to do it). Is this right? because i didnt have to do it the last time round and was told they are cleaned at public expense. Could some one please clarify? Thank you

Bourne said:
Hi
I have been told that i have to pay for my curtains to be cleaned on march out (£60 for the cleaning service to do it). Is this right? because i didnt have to do it the last time round and was told they are cleaned at public expense. Could some one please clarify? Thank you
That's the first I've heard of anyone having to pay.

If they insist on you having to pay their fee, politely decline and use the local laundrette (bigger machines - one wash does all!).

You'll save a fortune and p1ss the DHE off as well.

We have lived in 14 FSQs over 25 years and have never had to pay for curtians to be cleaned on march out. We usually took the Army curtains down on march in and put them up at march out, using our own curtains in the meantime. Notwithstanding that, I will try and find the official line and put it here if I find it.

Edit:

Opt-in Cleaning Scheme
In order to reduce the stress associated with moving out of Service Families Accommodation, families in GB and Germany can now opt-in to a Pre-payment Scheme for cleaning their quarters.

Families occupying Service Family Accommodation (SFA) in these Theatres can take advantage of an occupant funded opt-in contract cleaning scheme, which enables them to move out of their SFA having prepared it to a pre-arranged standard. Responsibility for the quarter then passes to the relevant housing authority who will arrange for a contractor to fully clean it.

Unfortunately, the scheme cannot be extended to Substitute Service Family Accommodation but DHE are looking into making other arrangements for these occupants.

There are significant advantages to families who use the scheme, which is already proving popular, and the procedure to be followed is briefly shown below. These are written for occupants in GB but the procedure will be similar everywhere else.
Step 1 - Registration. Occupants register their intention to opt into the scheme with their local Estate Management Officer (EMO) no less than 4 weeks before vacation.

Step 2 - Pre move out inspection. This will take place approximately 4 weeks prior to vacation. During this visit the EMO advises the occupants on the following information:

The price for the cleaning of the quarter, and the cost of the cleaning of the carpets should this be necessary. Prices will vary depending on the size and location of the quarter, but typically the cost (excluding VAT) for a Type C (3 bedrooms) ORFQ is £120 + £51 for carpets and for a Type IV (4 bedrooms) OFQ is £135 + £85 for carpets.
The cleaning standard occupants are expected to meet when moving out of the property. This means leaving the house, garden and garage in a tidy and "cleanable" condition so that a full house deep clean will bring the property to the condition expected on move in.
Whether the occupants are likely to incur any dilapidations at the time of move out and advice on remedial action that could be taken in the interim period.
General advice on the remaining steps of the process.
Step 3 - Payment. Payment is made to the DHE Area Finance Office at least 4 weeks prior to vacation in the form of either a personal cheque or Bank/Building Society cheque. Alternatively, the sum can be deducted from pay by use of a Debit Voucher.

Step 4 - Move out. The move out will occur on a pre-arranged date. The EMO will check that the property has been cleaned to the standards required and will also identify and agree any charges for damage which have occurred during occupation. If the EMO believes that the condition of the property has significantly deteriorated since the pre-move out inspection it may be necessary to mutually agree whether additional costs should be paid. Assuming all is well, however, the family will vacate the property and accommodation charges will cease, and responsibility for the property will transfer to the DHE.

Other major Theatres are examining the feasibility of running their own schemes. Exceptionally, families in Northern Ireland are currently in a position to make use of a fully-funded cleaning service as part of a 2 year trial due for completion in June 2003.

Full details are available from the local EMO, or housing staffs in Germany. Whether families choose to opt into the scheme or not, they will continue to be able to receive Disturbance Allowance and other relocation provisions according to eligibility.
From - http://www.army.mod.uk/soldierwelfare/familysupport/familiesaccn/cleaningscheme/sw_fs_fa_cs_w.html

This does not mention the cost of cleaning curtains o march out but if you consider that you have been in the quarter for about 2 years, you would have had them cleaned in the normal course of events anyway.

For god's sake don't pay DE to clean them. Stick them in the washing machine. They might say dry clean only but to be honest there's nothing you can do to them that would make them worse than they are.