Currywurst sauce recipe

I did a search and found nothing so, risking the wrath of "Not another currywurst thread" stoning I thought I'd share a recipe I stumbled on that I think works very well. I tried it on a couple of mates who also spent time in Germany in the 70s/80s and they were impressed too. Saying that, they are crabs so their opinions don't mean that much anyway. ;> Therefor if some of the more experienced ARRSE cooks could have a bash and let me know I'd appreciate it.

Heat 2 tbsp. light oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
Add 1 finely chopped large yellow onion; cook until soft (salt stops it browning). 8–10 minutes.
Add 2 tbsp. curry powder of choice and 1 tbsp. hot paprika or chilli; cook for 1 minute more. Add 2 cans whole peeled, chopped canned tomatoes (with juice) into pan and 1/2 cup of tomato puree. Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, and salt to taste; stir well. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 25 minutes.
Purée sauce in a blender until smooth.
Strain sauce through a sieve. Serve hot over sausage. Makes about 350ml.

CAVEAT: It's more opaque than the shop bought. Though I do remember a wide variation of the sauce from schnelly to schnelly as the better ones did make their own.

Cheers meneers
I made up a pan of this stuff last night for visiting family and their fireworks; sourced some Lidl brattys and let them loose. Result - no brattys left and DiL (who'd never tasted currywurst before) scooped up the remaining sauce and took it home.

I used chilli instead of paprika and a medium curry powder. All agreed it had just enough bite, and I confirmed my alpha male status.

Will definitely be using this recipe again. :judge: :thumright:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
YesItsMe Charity Auctions 33
ordinaryforces Cookery 111
S The Intelligence Cell 62