Currywurst sauce recipe

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BrandySoured, Oct 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I did a search and found nothing so, risking the wrath of "Not another currywurst thread" stoning I thought I'd share a recipe I stumbled on that I think works very well. I tried it on a couple of mates who also spent time in Germany in the 70s/80s and they were impressed too. Saying that, they are crabs so their opinions don't mean that much anyway. ;> Therefor if some of the more experienced ARRSE cooks could have a bash and let me know I'd appreciate it.

Heat 2 tbsp. light oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
    Add 1 finely chopped large yellow onion; cook until soft (salt stops it browning). 8–10 minutes.
    Add 2 tbsp. curry powder of choice and 1 tbsp. hot paprika or chilli; cook for 1 minute more. Add 2 cans whole peeled, chopped canned tomatoes (with juice) into pan and 1/2 cup of tomato puree. Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, and salt to taste; stir well. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 25 minutes.
    Purée sauce in a blender until smooth.
    Strain sauce through a sieve. Serve hot over sausage. Makes about 350ml.

CAVEAT: It's more opaque than the shop bought. Though I do remember a wide variation of the sauce from schnelly to schnelly as the better ones did make their own.

Cheers meneers
  2. I made up a pan of this stuff last night for visiting family and their fireworks; sourced some Lidl brattys and let them loose. Result - no brattys left and DiL (who'd never tasted currywurst before) scooped up the remaining sauce and took it home.

I used chilli instead of paprika and a medium curry powder. All agreed it had just enough bite, and I confirmed my alpha male status.

Will definitely be using this recipe again. :judge: :thumright: