Curry

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Taffnp, Jan 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have made quite a few curries using Pataks curry paste and throwing in the other bits. I have attempted to make one myself from scratch and over the last few days have searched the internet for a decent recipe. (Lamb Madras)

The more I look at, the more confused I become. Some recipes say to add turmeric, some ginger, cumin, bay leaves etc. Have made what I thought was a fairly decent one, but it seemed to lack the depth, there was something missing.

I made one earlier today, but still not what I am looking for.

Here is the one I made earlier today

500g of diced lamb, placed into freezer bag with 2 Tbsps of Asdas madras curry paste and squeezed about until it was all coated. Allowed to marinate for a few hours.

Chopped and onion and put into a hot pan with a little oil. Added ginger and garlic. Added lamb and stirred round to seal. Added a 500g tin of chopped tomatoes and allowed to bubble away quite slowly for about an hour. Added a bit more Schwarz madras curry powder to taste along with a little medium chilli powder.

Have all the other spices, Cumin and garam masala etc. but did not add any.

Have seen recipes which say to use mustard seeds and cardomom and also the juice of a fresh lime when finished.

Finished curry was fairly thick, but still lacking something. Would be grateful for a decent recipe and an explanation of the contribution of each spice.

2. Jarrod is the guy for this, try PMing him. Just don't give him your address.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Jokers the resident curry expert too - hell prolly have some pointers :)

Sent from my iPhone with tapatalk, I never cared much for spelling 😄

4. Aye edwinas canny like,as long as she's not ******* aboot with yer eggs.

5. A few things that I found help are:

Only use meat from the deli counter, packet meat is not as good.
    Coat the meat in some curry style spices (dependant on taste) and fry it up using a griddle pan.
    Use a good garlic, chilli, ginger and chopped tomato base and add the paste of your choice. Only use fresh chillis not concentrated sauces for heat.
    Add fried meat and cook for 45-60mins till sauce is really thick.
    Add natural yogurt to thin out the sauce a bit and add lovely flavour.

6. Use fresh spices and herbs

• Like Like x 1
  7. Taff, this is the recipe I use, taught to me by an Indian lad I knew but based on a Gurkha recipe to a certain degree:-

Heat oil, add onions and Garam Masala and brown off. Take bunch of coriander, 5 cloves of garlic, 6 chillis ( chillis to taste, more or less), 1 inch piece of ginger chopped, place in blender with a small amount of water and whizz until a smooth paste is achieved. Add the paste to the onions, cook for about 5 mins. Add 2 tablespoons of tomato puree, stir, add meat, coat in spice mix in pan, add tins of chopped tomatoes (I use 4 tins to make roughly 6 ptns) and cook for an hour on slow heat ( more for beef and lamb, this one is based on chicken). Add salt to taste.
    This should not stick in the pan and will just wash out, no scrubbing involved, result

I always have a large jar of Garam Masala handy, large bags can be picked up at any asian store. Most supermarkets do bags of chillis, what you don't use you can freeze and use straight from the freezer as and when.

ENJOY !!!!!

Thanks for the nudge, CG ^^

• Like Like x 4
  8. Yup use the recipes in the thread. I love Jokers one as its so easy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Home - Pat Chapman's Curry Club

He's reckoned to be a bit of a guru on the science of it.... but if you look at the size of the ******, he was a little more heavy handed than Ghandi with the ghee.

Curry is such a personal thing, I'm more inclined towards the Thai curry at the moment, gone away from the Indians a little, try some of the offers in B&M, you often find some authentic stuff that has been imported and not sold well, but is spot on to your taste, but if you like it, buy up a sackfull, because it probably won't come around again.

10. Oh and when Joker says six portions it's about ten portions for people with normal appetites. Freezes well.

11. For Thai curry use Mae Ploy brand. Couple of tablespoons of paste in a pan with some oil. Heat to release flavours, mix in couple of tins of coconut milk, heat up add raw or cooked meat, chopped onions, mushrooms, carrot or whatever vegetables takes your fancy.
    Heat until meats cooked.

12. I have a Beef Rendang in the slow cooker . :)

13. ...or John Major.