Curry - Your Best Ruby Murray Recipes Here Please:

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Gundulph, Jun 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can't believe we are on Page 2 of threads and no Curry thread yet!

Place all your best arse burners here in this thread, hopefully we'll attract some Gurkha Chefs in here also to let us know the secrets of their amazing Ruby Murrays! :wink:

2. Not so much a curry but Arabic Rice (had for tea last night actually)

1.5 or 2 x chopped onion
    4 or more cloves Garlic chopped finely or crushed
    teaspoon of cloves
    Heaped teaspoon of madras powder
    a couple of cinnamon sticks
    2 bay leaves
    teaspoon of Salt or to taste
    2 teaspoons chicken or veg stock powder
    2 heaped tablespoons tomato puree
    1 x Tin chopped Tomatoes
    1 x heaped teaspoon Cumin Powder
    4 or 6 chicken Thighs skin off and fat removed with scissors
    2 or 3 cups washed rice (basmati preferably)
    Olive oil @ 2 table spoons
    2 or 3 heaped teaspoons dried chili flakes ( i like it hot...do less if you dont like hot)

Heat oil and fry onions and garlic. Add Chicken and after a few minutes add the cumin madras powder cloves bay leaves cinnamon chili flakes and salt..........stock powder and let simmer for a while....add the tomato puree and the tin of chopped tomatoes, then when its simmering nicely add the washed and rinsed Rice. slow boil and add for 3 cups rice 4 cups of water......let it simmer away, add a little more water from time to time but don't drown it. You can add but cant remove. keep stirring occassionaly till turgid.

When the rice seems cooked continue to simmer slowly. Allow the rice to become dry as its not a wet dish (lid off) This is a large pan jobby dont try in a rice cooker. This will make the bottom appear burnt and hard but this is OK and actually is the best part in my opinion ( just dont have too high a flame).

Then serve with sliced tomato and rocket and a dash of Tabasco over the rice.

The aroma is fantastic and you will make it a regular.

Give it a try and I'm sure you will love it.

It is also made with lamb instead of chicken.

If you like this I will post some more and also Filipino dishes which are dead easy to make but so different to anything you have eaten here.

Bon Appetite!

3. While Im at it heres Pork Adobo (Philippines)

Cubed pork (best with a little fat on as it makes it gelatinos)
    @ 1/3 cup of soy sauce
    2 x bay leaves
    1 or 2 teaspoons of Black Pepper corns whole or crushed (crushed is better)
    4 or 6 chopped garlic cloves
    1/3 cup Malt Vinigar
    2 tablespoons Olive oil or vegetable oil

Heat oil......add garlic and fry till nearly brown. add pork and fry off.......add pepper corns bay leaves and soy sauce and vinigar and 1/2 cup of water......simmer away until the liquid reduces.....not boil madly away but slowly when the dish is reduced serve with rice....sliced tomato and salad or rocket.

It is a great easy and quick dish

You can also put some chopped Ginger as well about 2 x teaspoons worth. We also hard boil eggs one per person and reduce slowly the ingredients the eggs will absorbe some of the flavour and soy sauce vinigar etc. In fact I would recommend this.

Enjoy!

4. Bombay bad boy - go to tesco

boil kettle

poor in water

leave for 2 mins to settle

jobs a good un

5. I had one of those last week; must've been in a sanity vortex at the time. Disgusting.

Interesting to see diverre's rice recipe, as you'd think with the numbers of people touring in the Middle East there'd be lots of kabsa fanatics around. Can't get enough, myself, and with chicken, lamb, pork, beef and fish (squid's good, and scallops are outrageous) in varying combinations you can keep the house aromatic all week long.

(Diverre: 'madras powder'? Nay. Cinnamon, cloves and coriander.)

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Check out www.mamtaskitchen.com.
    Best source for Ruby recipies.
    Here's a sample;

Serves 6-8

Ingredients
    • 750 gm.-1 kg. basmati rice
    • 1/2 tsp. salt
    • 2 1/2 litre water for rice
    • a small sprig of mint leaves
    • For yakhni:
    • 1 kg. lamb or mutton leg/shoulder cut into bite size pieces, washed and drained (do not use poor quality meat for this dish)
    • 4-5 tbs. oil or ghee
    • 6 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
    • 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
    • 1 inch piece ginger, chopped or grated finely
    • 4 large cardamoms*,
    • 6 green cardamoms*
    • 2 inch piece of cinnamon*
    • 4 bay leaves*
    • 8-10 black pepper corns*
    • 6-8 cloves*
    • 2-3 green chillies- slit length wise. (adjust amount to your taste)
    • 2- 2 1/2 tsp. salt (adjust to taste)
    • 1/2 tsp. chilli powder (adjust amount to your taste)
    • 1/2 cup thick yoghurt
    • 2 large tomatoes, chopped
    • 1 bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
    • 1 small bunch of mint leaves, chopped
    • 1 lime or 1/2 lemon, cut into small pieces
    • A few strands of saffron soaked in a tablespoon of warm water
    • 1 tbs. Ghee or clarified butter
    • Orange or jalebi food colour

Buy ingredients from a recommended supplier, Spices of India. For more information, see here.

Instructions
    1. Peel, wash slice onions thinly.
    2. Peel, wash and grate ginger and garlic finely.
    3. Measure all whole spices*. Crack brown and green cardamoms a little, by hitting them with a rolling pin. Keep all whole spices together, aside.
    4. Measure/prepare all other ingredients as listed.
    5. Heat oil/ghee in a large pan and fry onions, until quite dark brown. Take out & keep aside.
    6. In the same oil (if there is too little left, add another tablespoon. or two), add all whole spices (cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, black peppers, bay leaves), ginger and garlic. Fry for a minute or two.
    7. Add meat pieces, salt, chilli powder. Stir fry until meat is nicely browned on all sides.
    8. Add yoghurt, tomatoes, coriander and mint leaves (save a few leaves for boiling rice) , sliced green chillies, pieces of lime and 2/3rd of fried onions, keeping 1/3rd onions aside for garnishing later. Cook, stirring frequently, until meat is nearly done and only a little gravy is left. This may take 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the cut and quality of meat.
    9. While meat is cooking, boil the water for rice, with a mint & coriander leaves and salt.
    10. Add rice and boil briskly, with lid off, until 2/3rd done (2 grains felt, when rice is pressed and squashed between two fingers).
    11. Drain the water off by transferring the rice to a colander/large sieve. You can run a little cold water over it, to stop the rice from cooking further while resting. Leave in the colander for a few minute, for the water to drain out completely.
    12. Grease a large oven proof dish or a pan and spread 1/3rd of the rice in a layer at the base of the pan. Sprinkle 1/3 rd of the saffron on rice.
    13. Now layer with 1/2 of the meat.
    14. Next, cover with the second 1/3 rd of the rice. Sprinkle 1/2 rd of saffron on top of rice.
    15. Now spread the remaining 1/2 of the meat on top of rice.
    16. Finish with the remaining 1/3 rd of the rice layer on top.
    17. Sprinkle the remaining saffron.
    18. Sprinkle fried onions on top. (You can spread some of the fried onions on each layer of rice, if you wish).
    19. Dot with a little ghee and a few drop of liquid jalebi (orange) colour . If dry colour powder is used, dissolve it in a teaspoon of water. This gives you a few dark orange coloured rice grains interspersed in the rest of the rice. It looks very nice when served.
    20. Cover the pan with a tight lid.
    21. Put it in a medium hot oven, 170º-180° C, on the centre shelf, for 20 minutes or so, until the rice is fully done. It can be cooked directly on the hob, on a low flame, with the lid tightly closed. This will take 20-30 minutes.
    22. Serve hot.

Notes
    • If you would like a richer biryani, add another 500 gm. of lamb. Remember to increase all other ingredients, except rice, accordingly.
    • Biryani can be prepared up to step 20 and then kept in the fridge. Cooking time in oven will be increased by 10 minutes.
    • Biryani freezes reasonably well. Defrost fully. Sprinkle a little water on top, cover and heat in a microwave, or an ordinary oven at medium heat or in a heavy bottomed pan, on low heat.
    • BBQ Biryani Pulao: Cook rice as per your recipe. Make small parcels, one parcel per person, wrapped in aluminium foil. Place them on BBQ for a few minutes to heat. Serve straight from the BBQ.

7. Buy the tinned Patak's sauces, the add what you want! Bets the fcuk out of that cooking lark.
    Personally, fry off some onions and garlic, Brown some chicken, add sauce and some peppers. Put in oven on a low heat for 4 hours, Serve with chips, rice whatever.

8. Funny aint it, Diverse gives us a curry lesson then promotes the BNP with a link at the bottom of his post ..... what a..... :)

9. Whats ur problem kunt! I'm married to an Asian and half a mixed blood son. BNP are not Skinheads anymore and I DO NOT LIKE WHERE MY COUNTRY IS HEADING! So vote for Gordon you twat and any of the other self serving pandering parties of pigs with their snouts in the trough.

Im not a racist but agree with what they say, and most people I know do too. Anyway fook you & I dont give a shit what you think.

Just edited as I see your not living in the Uk anymore. Why did you not like it? But instead of voting for a party that says what most of us thinks you were a coward and pissed off. You big mouthed Tw@t!

Yeah your name suits you.... Bullshit!

10. Right here is my personal favourite, I personally like it with mushrooms, but it is adaptable to any meat or veg of your choice. I give you Dwarf Vindaloo, Pillau Rice, and Home-made nans.

I found that the secret is in the base sauce that I make, it seems like a bit of work but it isn’t really, I make a load every six or seven weeks and then defrost for the weekly Sunday curry.
    I found this in a little book about secrets of Indian restaurant cooking, and By Vishnu it makes a difference giving a real depth to the sauce, that and their method of pillau rice. I get professional curries now thanks to that book. Kris Dillon – The Curry Secret (I Think)

So my personal sauce is as follows.
    (I don’t give measurements as everyone has preferences, try experimenting, it’s half the fun. – It is different to most recipies which have you mixing spices at the beginning, I always found that I needed either loads of oil or loads of spices and some things didn’t cook so well.)

Dwarf Vindaloo (Can be made milder)

Small red chilli peppers, - the fiery little barstards.
    Hot madras powder
    Nutmeg
    Amchoor – mango powder
    Black cumin
    Black cardamom
    Cloves
    Hot madras, not too much though.
    My own mix of coriander, cumin, tumeric, ginger, mild madras.
    Optional:
    Splash of vinegar/lemon juice.
    Sugar

Break chilis (3-4) into pan, add oil and salt, leave to settle while you prepare the rest. (or overnight really works)

Finely chop onion, green peppers, a little carrot, green bean and fry in the oil, when half-done add mushrooms. (Or chopped meat of your choice)

Add curry base sauce to cover, add the mix of the spices and stir.
    Add grated tomato and/or yoghurt/milk to taste. (vinegar-sugar)
    Leave to simmer and thicken.

Scoff with pleasure and home-made nan. (see below)

Their way to make the rice:
    Measure rice into colander,
    Wash rice repeatedly until water clears.
    Leave to dry at least 15 minutes.
    Fry finely chopped onion in a pan in a little oil/ghee.
    When just done, add the rice and stir for a minute or so till rice is coated.
    Add boiling water (1 cup rice 2 cups water and no more!)
    Add salt and any other desired spices, like tumeric. (Or more if making a biryani)
    Leave to boil for a couple of minutes
    Stick in oven at 175ºC to finish, stirring once if necessary to ensure even cooking.
    Don’t leave in the oven too long. It can dry out on top.

You can make a biryani by adding all sorts of veg at the frying stage, and spices at the water stage, You may need just a LITTLE extra water with lots of veg, but just a dash.

Curry Base: You can set this going and then go off and do other things while it is cooking.

2lb (900g) Onions.
    2 oz (50g) Green Ginger
    2 oz Garlic
    2.75 pint (1,570ml) water
    1 teaspoon salt
    +++++
    1x big tin (225g) Tomatoes
    1 teaspoon Tomato paste
    1 teaspoon Paprika
    1 teaspoon Tumeric.

In a pan add roughly chopped onions, ginger and garlic. Cook gently until onions are done. Blend well, I use the hand-held device, and simmer for 5-10 minutes.

In another pan add the tomatoes, (grated or tinned) the paprika and tumeric, bring to boil and let simmer, the recipe says to skim off the foam that forms but I never bother.
    Again blend and let simmer.

Combine the two and blend again, the secret is in having a really smooth mix.

Simmer for twenty minutes and then leave to cool. Use straight away and/or freeze.
    It is worth making a load and then you have some for a while.

(Dwarf’s shortcut is to fill a big pan just under 2/3 with chopped onion, adding ginger –dried is ok- garlic and covering with water. Then in another pan to a little over half the volume of the onion soup I make the tomato bit, lots of grated tomato, maybe a can as well, some water, and the paprika-tumeric which I add decent amounts. Combine the two pans, it produces good results.)

Home-made Nan.

If you wish skip parts one and two and go straight to three, but it is worth the effort if you have time.

1.Gently heat a little milk, or water and milk with sugar so that it is just over tepid but not hot.
    Add yeast (Never baking powder) and allow to grow in a warm place, about 15 mins.

2.In a bowl add some flour and salt, combine the yeast mix, and keep adding flour until you have a spongy dough. Knead for a few minutes then cover and leave in a warm place for about 90 mins

3. Divide into small balls and roll out on a floured surface, (quite thin).
    Have a dry heavy-bottomed frying pan pre-heated to very hot.
    Put bread in pan wait till it bubbles and turn over. It doesn’t need very long.
    When nans are done lightly rub with butter or ghee, cover with cloth until scoffing time.

If you do go straight to part 3 make sure the milk is tepid and you work the dough till it is flexible.
    A hint is to start with a little flour and keep adding, otherwise you can get a very stiff mixture which doesn’t produce great bread. I usually begin by using one hand to mix, which gets very sticky, and one to add flour until I get to the kneading stage.

Pooris can be made by frying the bread either in the pan, or by deep-frying for a moment.

All the above freezes well and only needs a quick re-heat. (like when you have just finished the rice)
    Enjoy.

11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Ingredients
    1 tbsp Garam masala
    1 tbsp ground coriander
    1 tsp Salt
    250ml Greek yogurt
    8 Chicken thighs, organic boneless, cut into about 8 pieces each
    3 tbsp mustard oil, or other vegetable oil
    1 tsp Mustard seeds
    2 green chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
    115g fresh coriander, chopped (plus a few sprigs for garnish)
    1 tsp fine salt
    1 tsp Sugar
    150g single cream
    1 packet steamed rice, to serve

Method
    1. Place the garam masala, ground coriander, salt and Greek yoghurt in a bowl. Mix thoroughly and then add the chicken pieces.

2. Cover and marinate for 1-2 hours or preferably overnight in the refrigerator.

3. Drain the chicken really well, reserving the marinade.

4. Heat the oil in a large wide non-stick frying pan. Add the mustard seeds and when they start to pop add the chillies and the chicken.

5. Fry over a really high heat until the chicken is nicely browned.

6. Pour in the reserved marinade and stir really well. Next add the coriander, salt, sugar.

7. Cook for 2-3 minutes and slowly start adding the cream. Reduce the curry to a gentle simmer.

8. The curry is ready when the sauce is reduced and thickened.

9. Garnish with coriander sprigs and serve with steamed rice.

12. Ventress, sauce looks good, but just a small question. If the chicken legs are boneless how do they walk?

If you look on videojug the indian food section is quite extensive, with step by step.
    The only thing is when they make a sauce they fry the spices with tomato and then combine. I find that the curry base I discovered works better. -see above post- but you will still get good results.
    Though the nans turned out crap.

http://www.videojug.com/tag/food-and-drink

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The onion base is the key to most curries and I use one from Curry Secrets which gives you a base to start any curry.

14. diverre, I make something similar but lazier with:

-fresh chillies
    -whole tinned tomatoes, mashed with a fork: these shrivel when cooked and become incredibly sweet and juicy
    -a jar of madras paste (I know...)
    -herbs,spices largely at random, depending on shelf contents

1) Boil quite a lot of rice
    2) Meanwhile, mix the mashed tomatoes (2 x tins) & madras paste in a large baking tray into a reddish-brown runny paste.
    3) coat chicken legs/thighs/quarters (skin on) in the above, and roast in the oven for a bit: until about 1/2 way done
    4) add rice, and stir in until everything's mixed
    5) put back in oven until the chicken's fully cooked and the rice has absorbed all the sauce, is red, dry and has a slight crust on top

The edges of the tray have the best gleanings (apart from the crust) as the sauce thickens into a sweet, hot goo. Mmm.

Eat with homemade raita and very cold shredded lettuce doused in lemon juice.

I'm going to start doing this with your sauce/spice recipe instead of the bought paste... cheers :D

15. Your welcome m8! Happy Eating ;-)