Curry Thread..

OK - need some advice. Not about a recipe. Spilled some curry oil on the bed while trying to open a takeaway container...and even with two napkins and a bedsheet underneath it managed to get into the mattress - amateur mistake. I did the usual - ran and got some detergent and soap and water tried my best to wipe it off. It's mostly gone but some still there.

Anymore ideas to fully clean it? Or should I just flip the mattress over and pretend it never existed. Never again trying to open/ eat a curry while sitting on a bed. It's like a freaking oil spill.
One of the hazards of living in a crummy bedsit, I guess.

Only ever had goat curry once. That was at a stall in Brixton when I was down there to see the Damned headline a festival over Brockwell Park, August 1984.

In Newcastle, the Rupali was the best known curry house, with the Lord Harpole (Abdul Latif). Home of the legengary Curry Hell - fire on your tongue. After months of training with madras and vindaloos, I gave it a go. And failed.

After his unfortunate death, his sons took over, then sold it. Now it lies unused.

The Koh I Noor, a short walk down the road, and the Raj around the corner are still good. The Raj does the best keema naans in the Toon.
The Koh I Noor just re opened after a long refurbishment

I expect that most people already know that, or I'd like to think that they do. Both ends of Pakistan were once constituent parts of India. They still remain a part of the geographical subcontinent.

I think I'm correct in saying that Burma, Ceylon and even the Aden protectorate were once administered as part of the British Raj version of India.
Ceylon I think always had it's own Governor separate from India.

Bollox

War Hero
When you have finished making your own curry which involved the chopping of fresh chillies and the crushing of dry chillies with your fingers do not under any circumstances pick your nose.

Friends from London Irish run a Caribbean restaurant in Brixham. They do a fabulous Curry Goat.

Brixham? You sure? :cool:
Verna’s Pepper Shack

Last reviewed on Tripadvisor three days ago, so guess they’re still open. Haven’t been for a long while, but it’s fabulous.

John & Verna Armitage are the parents of Delon, Steffon & Guy formerly of London Irish & England. Lovely family, & no one would mess with Mrs A either, very formidable’

Think this was more a case of trying out different restaurants and the varieties they offer...a Nepali curry restaurant is definitely on my bucket list as you guys talk so much about a "Gurkha" curry..
Gurkha curry very overrated in my book. 1/7 DoEGR in Belize were very generous but I got the impression that their SNCOs kept the decent meat off a chicken for themselves and served the Brits a concoction of indigestible chickens feet, beaks, feathers and offal, which we were all supposed to lap up as being delishious and authentic. Later the Gurkhas would tuck in to a curry with a nice bit of breast and leg.

muscat_diver

Old-Salt
Two tidy modern places in Penarth, Mint and Mustard and the Claypit. Another, Mo's is OK but a bit poncey. The Legion of the Damned favour the Paramount after chucking-out time.
Second Mint and Mustard and Paramount. Just moved family back to Penarth (renting Cae Canol whilst we renovate Paget Road).

The wholesale butcher in the village near my home supplies many of Northern Ireland's hotels and restaurants, and has a small shop next door which sells local produce as well as beef, pork, pies etc; all excellent. One of the consequences of being a supplier of such goods is that the 'tails' of beef fillet are left over and sold at a knockdown price in the shop. They can be grilled, barbecued or whatever, but I find them best for a good rich stew or curry. Being fillet, the texture is very tender, and can't be slow cooked for very long without fragmenting, but if cubed at about 1" are ridiculously good. Top tip.

When you have finished making your own curry which involved the chopping of fresh chillies and the crushing of dry chillies with your fingers do not under any circumstances pick your nose.
I would also earnestly entreat one to desist from engaging in sexual relations, as I discovered to my cost (or to be precise, her cost) neither does washing one's hands entirely solve the problem. I suppose one could don gloves but that might be a bit of a turn-off.

Last edited:
Gurkha curry very overrated in my book. 1/7 DoEGR in Belize were very generous but I got the impression that their SNCOs kept the decent meat off a chicken for themselves and served the Brits a concoction of indigestible chickens feet, beaks, feathers and offal, which we were all supposed to lap up as being delishious and authentic. Later the Gurkhas would tuck in to a curry with a nice bit of breast and leg.
Seems a bit cheeky!

Try some Vanish Oxy on it. Make up a solution as on container instructions and work it in with a nail brush.
Same goes for difficult cooking stains on clothes...just soak them for an hour or so and put them through a short cold-wash.
Also, invest in a mattress protector.
Excellent for ****-stains as well.
Allegedly.

View attachment 415178
BTW - your tip helped! Most of it gone, even if there is a small tiny stain still left. Thanks!

Yep. And more like trying to watch some telly on my lappie away from the noisy downstairs flatties who were having a party which I wasn't keen on.
You mean you weren't invited.
PNG.

Latest Threads