Curry Hell, No more???

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Hescoheed, Jan 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gutted, the Lord of Harpole has passed away!!

Link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7199691.stm

Have had some of the best curries in there after a few jars in the Bigg Market!! Never managed to finish the curry hell, although was close to it. There wasn't enough soothing cream in the world that could sort out my ricker after that.

He was a fantastic bloke. RIP Curry King

2. Bloody immigrants! They come here, creating our jobs, putting food in the mouths of hard working British families... Drags the neighbourhood out of the gutter, so it does!

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;jsessionid=Z5NQ24XCNMZ15QFIQMFSFFWAVCBQ0IV0?menuId=1588&menuItemId=-1&view=DISPLAYCONTENT&grid=A1&targetRule=0

4. I await the obituary in Viz with baited breath! As a curry hell failure I admire and loath the man in equal measure.

On a serious note 52 is no age to go, is that what curry does to you?

5. Do you think he slipped into a Korma first? ;)

6. Toilet Paper in the freezer before embarking for a curry in Newcastle, but where is Harpole? :pissedoff:

7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

8. Lord Harpole was a great bloke, and a real character.

In my student days, we organised a day long 'Iron Man' drinkathon for Comic Relief (any excuse for a day long drill) during which there were various challenges for each team, one of which was the 'Curry Hell' at the Rupali. I couldnt taste anything for about a week afterwards, it was like eating fire. He had some banter with us when we arrived, and made us feel like his friends, as opposed to a bunch of pissed up rugby tossers in fancy dress. His appearances in Viz were a stroke of marketing genius!

The Rupali is a great restuarant, just down from Blu Bambu on the Bigg Market in the Toon centre. I hope it continues, and I will munch down a ruby in his Lordships honour this very night.

9. Christ, how your world can fall apart in one day. Not only has the curry master passed on but just heard that my mate has been killed this morning in a farming accident...................I hate mondays!

10. Wahay! Sad news about his Lordship, though. Will they carry on the tradition at the restaurant?

There are other places but they are far away. The Neuadd Arms Hotel in Llanwyrtyd Wells, Powys offers a medal to anyone who can finish their beef phall, but it's not as strong as a Curry Hell classic.

Nice medal, though. Looks exactly like a Legion d'Honneur.

11. "In 2003, he offered free meals for five years to all British servicemen and women who served in Iraq"

Whaaaat?? Cheers guys, you could have told me! Why wasnt there a sticky topic on this? Or did I miss that on part 1 orders.

RIP anyway. Great character. True gent.

12. RIP The Lord Harpole. Destroyed more student throats than Quentin Crisp.

[​IMG]

:cry:

13. Milk is a very good soother for fiery curries, alternatively eat banana.

14. I think I remember this guy, saw him, or someone like him offering curries along with free bucket and picture (if you ate it! (the curry not the picture!!)) on the wall of curry fame!

Me? I can't even eat a tin of dynamite hot stagg chilli.
    Still, a loss to the curry world isn't it :(.

15. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Bugger. :(

Next months black-border copy of Viz will be worth a scan.

Only visited the Rupali once, and that was many many moons ago. Wimped out of the Curry Hell, though.