Currently watching these guys flying over Newcastle

I remember not so many years ago, all the aircraft used Newcastle airport for taking off and landing when performing at the Sunderland show. It was great sitting in the garden watching them come and go (I only live a couple of miles from said airport).

Fast forward a few years, and the airport (which is owned by five local councils) saw a cash cow in waiting. They raised the landing charges and fees for using overnight pans. Next year there weren`t quite so many applications to use the airport.

I wonder from where do the aircraft take off from now? Either way, it`s a canny event to go to, even if you do need inoculations for entering Seaburn.

I remember not so many years ago, all the aircraft used Newcastle airport for taking off and landing when performing at the Sunderland show. It was great sitting in the garden watching them come and go (I only live a couple of miles from said airport).

Fast forward a few years, and the airport (which is owned by five local councils) saw a cash cow in waiting. They raised the landing charges and fees for using overnight pans. Next year there weren`t quite so many applications to use the airport.

I wonder from where do the aircraft take off from now? Either way, it`s a canny event to go to, even if you do need inoculations for entering Seaburn.
They use Durham / Tees Valley I think mate, Possibly even Leeds / Bradford

Hopefully get a sighting of the BBMF at some point.

Well don't associate with shady ladies next to the metro station...... The weather as usual is a joke with days of sunshine and now the rain :) but its well worth a shout.

I once attended the Swiss International Airshow in a field at Yverdon, where, due to a paucity of entrants the PC7 team displayed again, and again, and again, and again.

My ex has a flat on the old Gateshead rail depot site which looks straight over the river to St James Park etc The views of the Lancaster and BBMF planes coming over on their way to and from Sunderland were fabulous.

I had a Forrest Gump day, a while ago.

I said that the planes were usually flying in from Teesside, so if we were on the cliffs just south of Sunderland, we'd get a grandstand view, as they lined up to approach the air- show.

We sat there on our camping armchairs, coolbox stuffed with food and drink.......... and the buggers flew in from Newcastle, then turned away, so all we saw were a procession of little black dots.

GRRRRRRR.

Another advantage of flying from Teesside, was there's a kink in the motorway, around where I live, and the planes followed the motorway towards Sunderland, so I could just sit in my garden and see lots or gorgeous planes fly directly over.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
My ex has a flat on the old Gateshead rail depot site which looks straight over the river to St James Park etc The views of the Lancaster and BBMF planes coming over on their way to and from Sunderland were fabulous.
Does the Lanc unload over Sid James's? No? Pity.

Latest Threads