Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current UK state of affairs - Is it really messed up like SOME people say

Go to a different supplier, which is very easy in the UK. Coincidentally I've pdumped both British Gas and BT as suppliers recently.

On the weather, unlike most parts of the world, it won't kill you. It's never too hot nor too cold; there's never Australian-style droughts, Californian-like Bush fires or Fukushima type earthquakes. It's all a bit milky tea..

it’s also bereft of deadly wildlife that will poison or eat you

Go to a different supplier, which is very easy in the UK. Coincidentally I've pdumped both British Gas and BT as suppliers recently.

On the weather, unlike most parts of the world, it won't kill you. It's never too hot nor too cold; there's never Australian-style droughts, Californian-like Bush fires or Fukushima type earthquakes. It's all a bit milky tea..
Which is a bit tricky when you're renting in the UK, as the landlord has say on it.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Last night I met friends in the local pub - open fire, good natured dogs, good selection of well-cellared beers and excellent bangers and mash. No-one tried to sell me drugs and I wasn't stabbed on way home.
Earlier in the day I went to the post office to send off my tax return by recorded post. Good, friendly service and I know the letter will get delivered when they say it will.
Waited all of 15 minutes for my regular appointment with my consultant at an NHS hospital. Booked in for an MRI - next week. I didn't have to bribe staff to get an appointment. I haven't hat to sell my house to afford the medication, either.
Last weekend I travelled to Newcastle on the train from Kings X. Excellent, clean station. Train left on time, arrived on time. Booked ahead; cheaper and easier than driving.
Today I'm taking my daughter up to Cambridge to have a look around and visit the many free museums there. Consistently in the top 5 universities in the world. Along with Oxford, Imperial College and Hull.
Tonight we might get a takeaway with an enviable selection of choice. Or might pop in to one of the local shops and get a selection of fresh foods and rustle up a half-decent meal.
Tomorrow we'll go for a rather wet walk with the dogs in the Chilterns, amongst the glorious colours of Autumn. Lunch will be at one of the many decent pubs (probably the Jolly Farmer in Ewelme). We won't be knifed, or kidnapped by marauding gangs of brigands.
I just had a shower. The water was hot because we have an uninterrupted gas supply. The water supply across the UK is always potable, ie safe to drink. Unlike much of the world. (And why do Eastern Europeans feel the need to buy loads and loads of bottled water?).

Stop ******* whining about living in 'dystopian' Britain.

ETA: I live within the M25 but have not been murdered yet. Indeed, ever.

I've got no ******* idea. My missus and my sister-in-law (who lives with us) are both ******* murder for it. Current consumption per week is around 18l of one brand of fizzy stuff in 1.5l bottles, and 12-18l of still in 500ml bottles. The void space under the stairs is ******* crammed with bottles at all times waiting to be added to the land-fill.

Which is a bit tricky when you're renting in the UK, as the landlord has say on it.
Did you get back to him/her in a regular basis about the loss of hot water? Was it a contract with BG or were they called in on an ad hoc basis.

We are landlords and had a contract with BG who would respond within 12 hours. However the LLD contract became more and more expensive, so we've gone for another provider. Our tenants would have every right to complain if we denied then hot water and heating in winter for more than a day.

But to get this back on track, almost all the tradespeople we use are Eastern European - not by design, but that's how it turns out. They are all very professional and hard working; paying taxes and contributing.

I've got no ******* idea. My missus and my sister-in-law (who lives with us) are both ******* murder for it. Current consumption per week is around 18l of one brand of fizzy stuff in 1.5l bottles, and 12-18l of still in 500ml bottles. The void space under the stairs is ******* crammed with bottles at all times waiting to be added to the land-fill.
Err, what?

The bit I bolded from your first post...
Ah OK. Bottled water, eh? What an inordinate waste of time and money, and a very Continental habit. Yesterday, in Cambridge i bought a couple of bottles from a corner shop (my aluminium bottle leaked around the top) and it was imported from Turkey. Insane waste of penguins and glaciers, especially as it was pissing down.

Yokel

LE
Ah OK. Bottled water, eh? What an inordinate waste of time and money, and a very Continental habit. Yesterday, in Cambridge i bought a couple of bottles from a corner shop (my aluminium bottle leaked around the top) and it was imported from Turkey. Insane waste of penguins and glaciers, especially as it was pissing down.

True story - about twenty five years ago my cousin was staying with my aunt folr a while, and took a liking to chilled water. One day a neighbour came around, so my aunt offered him a cup of tea, which he declined as he only drank water - bottled water. My aunt looked in the fridge and found a bottle of brand x water. Neighbour says he will try it - and likes it.

Cousin arrives home, and is asked what it was, to which he replies it was just tap water.

What was the thread about again?

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer

Amen to that (as it's Sunday). Especially when muggins here has to carry 30kg of liquid I could just get out of the ******* tap!

Not Basingstan then.

It used to be noted for it's dismal soviet style architecture, before the days of mass cultural enrichment

Did you get back to him/her in a regular basis about the loss of hot water? Was it a contract with BG or were they called in on an ad hoc basis.
The landlord himself was a decent bloke and responded quickly (and usually got things done quickly), but I think he had a contract with BG or something and I don't what type or sort. But that week of not having hot water was really bad - in winter.

ches

LE

Er what? I've rented a few times here & at no time has the landlord had any say in what supplier I used for utilities. I'll move supplier as often as I want if I can get a cheaper deal. The LL can go fcuk spiders & refund me the difference in cost if they're a cnut about it. As soon as i was told what supplier was in place upon enquiring about a gaff i was on google looking for deals. I'd then tell the agent or LL who i was moving the supply to.

endure

GCM
Last night I met friends in the local pub - open fire, good natured dogs, good selection of well-cellared beers and excellent bangers and mash. No-one tried to sell me drugs and I wasn't stabbed on way home.
Earlier in the day I went to the post office to send off my tax return by recorded post. Good, friendly service and I know the letter will get delivered when they say it will.
Waited all of 15 minutes for my regular appointment with my consultant at an NHS hospital. Booked in for an MRI - next week. I didn't have to bribe staff to get an appointment. I haven't hat to sell my house to afford the medication, either.
Last weekend I travelled to Newcastle on the train from Kings X. Excellent, clean station. Train left on time, arrived on time. Booked ahead; cheaper and easier than driving.
Today I'm taking my daughter up to Cambridge to have a look around and visit the many free museums there. Consistently in the top 5 universities in the world. Along with Oxford, Imperial College and Hull.

In which particular discipline is Hull one of the top 5 universities in the world?

Latest Threads