Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current UK state of affairs - Is it really messed up like SOME people say

The UK is currently iis n a bit of a bind but is not a bad country live in - no more than any other nation in a similar scenario. Let the events play out.

Like people mentioned before, if I were given a chance from war torn places, I would definitely take the chance to come over here.

There's probably 20 million too many people here.
Roads are clogged up on even the shortest journey.
House prices are insane.
NHS is on its knees (not in a good way)
London is a no-go zone
Kids are being stabbed up left right and centre
Wages are stagnant
Inflation is rising
Savings are non-existent.
I will work until I die
Crime is rampant, not enough police
Chavs are the dominant species
Feral kids
Immigration is not controlled enough, my home towns have changed beyond all recognition.
Government is a joke
Budgets have been cut
Honest law-abiding citizens are treated as criminals
Criminals are left alone
Rent is eye-watering
Food costs more
Fuel costs much more
Quality of life has gone down, not up

Other than that, the UK is bloomin' great!

Do you live in Basingstoke, perchance?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I know plenty about Sparta, as well as other aspects of the military in the ancient world. I was simply making an attempt to run with the previous poster's joke.

Mind you, you probably don't have a sense of humour so I'll call it quits.

Go on - beat him like the ginger-haired stepchild he is!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Sadly real ones, y'know- the ones with Doc Martins, dungarees and a face that could make your balls shrivel into raisins.
No wonder you have such a dystopian view of Blighty. Move to Folkestone, where at least one polish lesbian in every couple Is hot.

Last night I met friends in the local pub - open fire, good natured dogs, good selection of well-cellared beers and excellent bangers and mash. No-one tried to sell me drugs and I wasn't stabbed on way home.
Earlier in the day I went to the post office to send off my tax return by recorded post. Good, friendly service and I know the letter will get delivered when they say it will.
Waited all of 15 minutes for my regular appointment with my consultant at an NHS hospital. Booked in for an MRI - next week. I didn't have to bribe staff to get an appointment. I haven't hat to sell my house to afford the medication, either.
Last weekend I travelled to Newcastle on the train from Kings X. Excellent, clean station. Train left on time, arrived on time. Booked ahead; cheaper and easier than driving.
Today I'm taking my daughter up to Cambridge to have a look around and visit the many free museums there. Consistently in the top 5 universities in the world. Along with Oxford, Imperial College and Hull.
Tonight we might get a takeaway with an enviable selection of choice. Or might pop in to one of the local shops and get a selection of fresh foods and rustle up a half-decent meal.
Tomorrow we'll go for a rather wet walk with the dogs in the Chilterns, amongst the glorious colours of Autumn. Lunch will be at one of the many decent pubs (probably the Jolly Farmer in Ewelme). We won't be knifed, or kidnapped by marauding gangs of brigands.
I just had a shower. The water was hot because we have an uninterrupted gas supply. The water supply across the UK is always potable, ie safe to drink. Unlike much of the world. (And why do Eastern Europeans feel the need to buy loads and loads of bottled water?).

Stop ******* whining about living in 'dystopian' Britain.

ETA: I live within the M25 but have not been murdered yet. Indeed, ever.

Last edited:
Clearly you need to book a delightful weekend break in the town-centre . . .

I used to have that place as my nearest town, but sensibly I emigrated.

Quite it's known as Basingrad for a reason

Last night I met friends in the local pub - open fire, good natured dogs, good selection of well-cellared beers and excellent bangers and mash. No-one tried to sell me drugs and I wasn't stabbed on way home.
Earlier in the day I went to the post office to send off my tax return by recorded post. Good, friendly service and I know the letter will get delivered when they say it will.
Waited all of 15 minutes for my regular appointment with my consultant at an NHS hospital. Booked in for an MRI - next week. I didn't have to bribe staff to get an appointment. I haven't hat to sell my house to afford the medication, either.
Last weekend I travelled to Newcastle on the train from Kings X. Excellent, clean station. Train left on time, arrived on time. Booked ahead; cheaper and easier than driving.
Today I'm taking my daughter up to Cambridge to have a look around and visit the many free museums there. Consistently in the top 5 universities in the world. Along with Oxford, Imperial College and Hull.
Tonight we might get a takeaway with an enviable selection of choice. Or might pop in to one of the local shops and get a selection of fresh foods and rustle up a half-decent meal.
Tomorrow we'll go for a rather wet walk with the dogs in the Chilterns, amongst the glorious colours of Autumn. Lunch will be at one of the many decent pubs (probably the Jolly Farmer in Ewelme). We won't be knifed, or kidnapped by marauding gangs of brigands.
I just had a shower. The water was hot because we have an uninterrupted gas supply. The water supply across the UK is always potable, ie safe to drink. Unlike much of the world. (And why do Eastern Europeans feel the need to buy loads and loads of bottled water?).

Stop ******* whining about living in 'dystopian' Britain.

ETA: I live within the M25 but have not been murdered yet. Indeed, ever.

I love everything you said, except a couple of things:
-BT are useless in terms of service. Both the times I moved flats, they turned up only a week to 10 days after the appointment
- British Gas - same again - went without hot water when the bloody boiler broke down, in the middle of the winter. A week to get a boiler fixed is insane. Thank hell, my work had showers and we had a kettle in the kitchen

But I like the UK in general, despite not always great weather.

I love everything you said, except a couple of things:
-BT are useless in terms of service. Both the times I moved flats, they turned up only a week to 10 days after the appointment
- British Gas - same again - went without hot water when the bloody boiler broke down, in the middle of the winter. A week to get a boiler fixed is insane. Thank hell, my work had showers and we had a kettle in the kitchen

But I like the UK in general, despite not always great weather.
Go to a different supplier, which is very easy in the UK. Coincidentally I've pdumped both British Gas and BT as suppliers recently.

On the weather, unlike most parts of the world, it won't kill you. It's never too hot nor too cold; there's never Australian-style droughts, Californian-like Bush fires or Fukushima type earthquakes. It's all a bit milky tea..