Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current UK state of affairs - Is it really messed up like SOME people say

I know plenty about Sparta, as well as other aspects of the military in the ancient world. I was simply making an attempt to run with the previous poster's joke.

Mind you, you probably don't have a sense of humour so I'll call it quits.
I've been told I have a weird sens of humour so it's probably all my fault.

I think most will understand the comment and the spirit in which it was posted. I would say I'm sorry that I seem to have upset you, but I won't as I don't like telling fibs!
See post 41

I had the misfortune to visit the UK this summer, MiL funeral.

It’s was shocking how much it felt a strange land since I moved to Canada. The people seemed angry, there was an air of despair. It felt crowded, scruffy and run down.

There seemed to be real ranker in people I spoke to about Brexit and views entrenched.

It’s was shit, not because of the funeral but because there didn’t seem to be any joy in where I grew up.

I was so happy to come home to Ottawa.
It depends where you live.
I live in a village in north Oxfordshire and life is fine.
Five years ago I attended an MC rally in the North of England and was shocked by the town nearby when I went in to buy fags, beer etc. (the rally site did not have a licence or do food).
Three out of every four shops boarded up, those open were betting shops, charity shops, supermarkets or pawn shops.
Most were dressed in jogging kit (to be fair many were jogging) and the whole effect was utterly depressing.
This is what Blair and New labour created. I was born under rationing and remember bread and pullit as an evening meal but we weren't as desperate as many of those we saw were.
Perhaps Brexit will bring hope, I don't know.

Five years ago I attended an MC rally in the North of England and was shocked by the town nearby when I went in to buy fags, beer etc. (the rally site did not have a licence or do food).
Three out of every four shops boarded up, those open were betting shops, charity shops, supermarkets or pawn shops.
Most were dressed in jogging kit (to be fair many were jogging) and the whole effect was utterly depressing.
This is what Blair and New labour created. I was born under rationing and remember bread and pullit as an evening meal but we weren't as desperate as many of those we saw were.

You should have called by for a cuppa.

Why employ a local you have to pay at least minimum wage when you have truck loads of chinese slave labour pouring in through Purfleet?

Point of order Citizen… one Emperor set the Pretorian Guard on boy racers with racing chariots that were causing alarm and consternation around the Forum.

Penalties were apparently a bit harsh, day out with the Lions and such like.
I thought the role of the PG was just to eat, drink and occasionally kill an emperor, who knew they actually did something useful occasionally.

You should have called by for a cuppa.
Would I needed to bring my own tea bag, sweetener and milk.
Or even cup and water as well.:)
The weekend really did open my eyes and I haven't been back. far too depressing.
I am very lucky to live where I do and too have only claimed 7 weeks off the gvmt in my life ( though I have been without work for longer than that).

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Would I needed to bring my own tea bag, sweetener and milk.
Or even cup and water as well.:)
The weekend really did open my eyes and I haven't been back. far too depressing.
I am very lucky to live where I do and too have only claimed 7 weeks off the gvmt in my life ( though I have been without work for longer than that).

...and bring your own jet boil too.

Whereabouts was it you went?

...and bring your own jet boil too.

Whereabouts was it you went?
I've been cogitating on that one as I never went back.
Does Old Denaby ring a bell.
BTW I am not knocking the people, most seem to be trying their best to get on with their lives and their was little rubbish or anything else lying about. The ones we spoke to were invariably polite and friendly, I could very easily unfavourably compare with most of the honkies who live in Oxford itself.
And the roads were great fun rather than this overcrowded South.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Like a modern day Chicken Town by John Cooper Clark? Here’s my version.

The ******* countries ******* skint,
The ******* business’ make a mint,
The ******* Police are ******* gone,
The ******* criminals have ******* won,
The immigrants are ******* flooding the place,
The ******* youth of today are off their face,
For **** sake put the knife down,
In a fried chicken shop in Chicken town.

The ******* food banks are ******* packed,
The ******* workers are ******* sacked,
The ******* disabled sent back to ******* work,
By some ******* Tory politician berk,
The ******* countries a ******* mess,
The ******* schoolboys wear a ******* dress,
Down the shit pan it goes down,
Evidently chicken town.

Have you thought about sending that to John?

I've been cogitating on that one as I never went back.
Does Old Denaby ring a bell.
BTW I am not knocking the people, most seem to be trying their best to get on with their lives and their was little rubbish or anything else lying about. The ones we spoke to were invariably polite and friendly, I could very easily unfavourably compare with most of the honkies who live in Oxford itself.
And the roads were great fun rather than this overcrowded South.

Never heard of it, googled it, over near Rotherham. How were the taxi drivers?

Load of old bollocks if you ask me. Most of it is Daily Mail style moaning without any evidence beyond 'some bloke said in the pub' anecdotes.

Immigration for a start. No one gets punted a 'free' house as soon as they arrive. They may get some quick accom but most of us wouldn't want to live in most of the hostel type places these lot end up in. Imo they should be interned until they're papers are all in order anyway but meh.
They don't take all our jobs, they take by & far, the jobs that your average chav Brit thinks is below them. Fruit & veg picking, cleaning jobs, construction labouring etc. There is also plenty of reasons why a lot of gaffer choose to employ immigrants. They actually facking graft. I was running a site back of the Printworks in Mcr a few years ago. The scaffolding lads on the enabling phase of the job were mostly Kosovans & were frankly making their UK colleagues look lazy feckers. We haven't done ourselves any favours whatsoever with the entitlement attitude that the majority of our younger workers seems to have. In the lower paid environs there is not a lot of decent UK working class stock willing to graft. It may be shit wages but thats were most ppl start. Work hard, earn more seems to be lost on most.
SCHOOLS: Middlesbrough Council told parents of more than 100 Year 6 pupils last week that they had not been offered a place at one of the town’s schools. The authority said schools were full due to “unprecedented demand”. It has now emerged that the demand was a result of a number of factors - the largest being international new arrivals. Immigration was major factor behind school places crisis

HOUSING Many families living on Teesside will be forced to move from their homes. A new provider, Mears Group, took over the responsibility to house the region's 1,500 asylum seekers on Sunday. Previously, G4S had held the 10-year-contract and used local property firm Jomast to provide houses for asylum seekers, predominantly in central Middlesbrough and Stockton . Families will be forced to move as new provider takes over

CRIME: Businessman and charity leader Andy Preston wrote a post on social media highlighting links between immigration and "large scale anti-social behaviour caused by big groups of men” and “horrific gang violence”. The comments were heavily criticised by Middlesbrough's Labour MP Andy McDonald, who said they were "irresponsible and dangerous". A total of 89% of readers said Mr Preston was right to voice the concerns in a Teesside Live poll. "Everything you can imagine goes on around here. "Prostitutes walking up and down, my girlfriend gets approached by punters, that's really insulting. "Gangs are always round here. You have got kids selling drugs, you have got 14-year-olds selling heroin and crack. Life in TS1: 'You have to live here to see what we put up with'

HEALTH: Preston is deemed the worst out of 70 major towns and cities in Britain. It is followed by Middlesbrough and Coventry and all of the ten unhealthiest places are in the Midlands and the North – except Eastbourne in 10th place. Revealed: The unhealthiest high streets in Britain (Data source: Royal Society of Public Health - hardly bollox)

Can you explain your logic as to how would Brexit bring hope? It's mostly due to town council planning, permissions, parking restrictions and large stores outside.
F-all to do with Brexit. Has been happening for years.

Latest Threads