Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current UK state of affairs - Is it really messed up like SOME people say

Quit whining! At least you didn’t have Kanye West and Kim Kardashian take up residence...
Assuming this was addressed to me, remind me the population density where you live and I'll calculate the number of immigrants to your state to bring you up to English levels.

Meh, my little part of Blighty is actually quite pleasant and I enjoy a fairly comfortable quality of life. The fooking weather is grim mind.

Someone mentioned migrants before, do we even know (really) how many are in the UK? I'd heard the population was estimated to be closer to 80 million than the official 65.

There's probably 20 million too many people here.
Roads are clogged up on even the shortest journey.
House prices are insane.
NHS is on its knees (not in a good way)
London is a no-go zone
Kids are being stabbed up left right and centre
Wages are stagnant
Inflation is rising
Savings are non-existent.
I will work until I die
Crime is rampant, not enough police
Chavs are the dominant species
Feral kids
Immigration is not controlled enough, my home towns have changed beyond all recognition.
Government is a joke
Budgets have been cut
Honest law-abiding citizens are treated as criminals
Criminals are left alone
Rent is eye-watering
Food costs more
Fuel costs much more
Quality of life has gone down, not up
Redshift still hasn't ******* fucked the **** off

Other than that, the UK is bloomin' great!

Meh, my little part of Blighty is actually quite pleasant and I enjoy a fairly comfortable quality of life. The fooking weather is grim mind.

Someone mentioned migrants before, do we even know (really) how many are in the UK? I'd heard the population was estimated to be closer to 80 million than the official 65.
I'd argue 15 million people is a bit of an overestimate.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
This is not a dig at @Nemesis44UK , but I want to answer as many of these as possible with my own personal experience:

There's probably 20 million too many people here. I live in East Kent, in my street the majority of residents are white English; the exceptions are the Polish lesbian couple and two families of Gurkhas. We're not exactly overrun, although I will agree that overall the immigration rate has skyrocketed.
Roads are clogged up on even the shortest journey. Word.
House prices are insane. I live in a 3 bed Victorian terraced house, my mortgage is covered by my Army pension so it's not exactly billionaire row.
NHS is on its knees (not in a good way) NHS is always "on its knees", that's how it's set up. Provide everything to everybody for free, and once you've run out of money scream for more.
London is a no-go zone Nope. I work in London, I love it.
Kids are being stabbed up left right and centre Kids involved with stabby gangs, in inner city stabby areas mostly. It's certainly not happening on my street.
Wages are stagnant Depends where you work. I'm due 3% this year
Inflation is rising Inflation Rate in the United Kingdom averaged 2.56 percent from 1989 until 2019, in Sep19 it was 1.7%. So no.
Savings are non-existent. Then save.
I will work until I die. I won't.
Crime is rampant, not enough police. Rampant? I haven't had a crime perpetrated against me any time recently. Fair one on Police numbers, but the money tap has been turned back on by Boris, so that will change over time.
Chavs are the dominant species Not in my street.
Feral kids Mine aren't, nor are those of my friends and neighbours.
Immigration is not controlled enough, my home towns have changed beyond all recognition. Agreed on immigration, but time changes everything, regardless of the demographics.
Government is a joke Vote for a better one.
Budgets have been cut Boris has turned the money back on.
Honest law-abiding citizens are treated as criminals I'm not.
Criminals are left alone Not that I have much info on this, but you may be right.
Rent is eye-watering Don't rent - buy.
Food costs more 1.7% more. Against my payrise of 3%
Fuel costs much more True. Bloody Iranians.
Quality of life has gone down, not up
Not mine.

Other than that, the UK is bloomin' great! Yes it is.

So for me (living in the east of Kent, and working in London), life is pretty damn good. It could of course be much better; however it could also be far, far worse. As I see it the UK is a good place to live, where freedom of speech is still allowed (as long as you don't call a tranny "him"), quality of life is high compared to virtually everywhere else I'd consider living and there is a functional welfare state. On top of that we have the best nay-sayers, doomsters and gloomsters in the world - as this thread proves. :-D

<Old Roman Publicus Houseus>

Gaius Maxiumus! the countries gone to the canines, the Pretorian Guard are useless and can't control crime, the Senate is full of self serving crooks, the children don't respect their elders, and young tearways are racing around the Forum in they high powered boy racer chariots!

D

Deleted 24582

Assuming this was addressed to me, remind me the population density where you live and I'll calculate the number of immigrants to your state to bring you up to English levels.

That would be a hard pass, we don’t let riff raff in. We don’t even have a refugee resettlement program here and we finally got rid of most of the Somali’s that managed to make here.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd argue 15 million people is a bit of an overestimate.

@PhotEx in one of his previous incarnations pointed to the levels of buying by the major supermarkets as a better indicator of true population size than any census.

80 million probably isn't beyond the realms. Have you ever flown into Heathrow and looked at all those back garden 'sheds' in some neighbourhoods? The ones that the authorities have to give at least 24 hours notice of inspecting?

No major party really wants to admit the true scale of the problem.

<Old Roman Publicus Houseus>

Gaius Maxiumus! the countries gone to the canines, the Pretorian Guard are useless and can't control crime, the Senate is full of self serving crooks, the children don't respect their elders, and young tearways are racing around the Forum in they high powered boy racer chariots!

Ancient Spartan Naafi...

"Now I've nothing against gays but now they've made it compulsory in the army. I'm not having that sort of thing pushed in my face. Sparta has gone to the bloody dogs..."

"Aye mate. I'm thinking of transferring to the Persian Army, you only have to wear make up with that lot..."

That would be a hard pass, we don’t let riff raff in. We don’t even have a refugee resettlement program here and we finally got rid of most of the Somali’s that managed to make here.
Were they driven out or did they just realise there are no jobs and went somewhere more economically friendly.

Ancient Spartan Naafi...

"Now I've nothing against gays but now they've made it compulsory in the army. I'm not having that sort of thing pushed in my face. Sparta has gone to the bloody dogs..."

"Aye mate. I'm thinking of transferring to the Persian Army, you only have to wear make up with that lot..."
You really don't know much about Sparta do you.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Indeed, time spent in Sparta was just about as cheerful and happy as time spent in NI. :)

I know plenty about Sparta, as well as other aspects of the military in the ancient world. I was simply making an attempt to run with the previous poster's joke.

Mind you, you probably don't have a sense of humour so I'll call it quits.

D

Deleted 24582

Were they driven out or did they just realise there are no jobs and went somewhere more economically friendly.

The Mexicans got rid of them and they did not receive any preferential government treatment. Many were also keen to ride the welfare train, of which ours is very Spartan and not as generous as the Blue States.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think you need to explain that one a bit more.
I think most will understand the comment and the spirit in which it was posted. I would say I'm sorry that I seem to have upset you, but I won't as I don't like telling fibs!

Latest Threads