Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current UK state of affairs - Is it really messed up like SOME people say

It's an obvious question, now I'm not an expert on economics but all I get to hear down the pub all the time is "no wonder this country is going to sh*t", what is there honestly to complain about?

Illegal immigration mostly indicates unskilled workers coming here just for labouring work and the current economy I can't comment on, some policies could seriously do with revising like how we handle migration itself like expediting illegals altogether but the country itself is relatively safe, we are appparently one of the top 10 countries to live in according most polls I've read onlien.

but all I get to hear down the pub all the time is "no wonder this country is going to sh*t", what is there honestly to complain about?

People have been saying that since pubs were invented.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
There's probably 20 million too many people here.
Roads are clogged up on even the shortest journey.
House prices are insane.
NHS is on its knees (not in a good way)
London is a no-go zone
Kids are being stabbed up left right and centre
Wages are stagnant
Inflation is rising
Savings are non-existent.
I will work until I die
Crime is rampant, not enough police
Chavs are the dominant species
Feral kids
Immigration is not controlled enough, my home towns have changed beyond all recognition.
Government is a joke
Budgets have been cut
Honest law-abiding citizens are treated as criminals
Criminals are left alone
Rent is eye-watering
Food costs more
Fuel costs much more
Quality of life has gone down, not up

Other than that, the UK is bloomin' great!

ches

LE
Load of old bollocks if you ask me. Most of it is Daily Mail style moaning without any evidence beyond 'some bloke said in the pub' anecdotes.

Immigration for a start. No one gets punted a 'free' house as soon as they arrive. They may get some quick accom but most of us wouldn't want to live in most of the hostel type places these lot end up in. Imo they should be interned until they're papers are all in order anyway but meh.
They don't take all our jobs, they take by & far, the jobs that your average chav Brit thinks is below them. Fruit & veg picking, cleaning jobs, construction labouring etc. There is also plenty of reasons why a lot of gaffer choose to employ immigrants. They actually facking graft. I was running a site back of the Printworks in Mcr a few years ago. The scaffolding lads on the enabling phase of the job were mostly Kosovans & were frankly making their UK colleagues look lazy feckers. We haven't done ourselves any favours whatsoever with the entitlement attitude that the majority of our younger workers seems to have. In the lower paid environs there is not a lot of decent UK working class stock willing to graft. It may be shit wages but thats were most ppl start. Work hard, earn more seems to be lost on most.

Load of old bollocks if you ask me. Most of it is Daily Mail style moaning without any evidence beyond 'some bloke said in the pub' anecdotes.

Immigration for a start. No one gets punted a 'free' house as soon as they arrive. They may get some quick accom but most of us wouldn't want to live in most of the hostel type places these lot end up in. Imo they should be interned until they're papers are all in order anyway but meh.
They don't take all our jobs, they take by & far, the jobs that your average chav Brit thinks is below them. Fruit & veg picking, cleaning jobs, construction labouring etc. There is also plenty of reasons why a lot of gaffer choose to employ immigrants. They actually facking graft. I was running a site back of the Printworks in Mcr a few years ago. The scaffolding lads on the enabling phase of the job were mostly Kosovans & were frankly making their UK colleagues look lazy feckers. We haven't done ourselves any favours whatsoever with the entitlement attitude that the majority of our younger workers seems to have. In the lower paid environs there is not a lot of decent UK working class stock willing to graft. It may be shit wages but thats were most ppl start. Work hard, earn more seems to be lost on most.
Or actually should have studied at school, maybe done uni, picked a niche job market?

Or actually should have studied at school, maybe done uni, picked a niche job market?

I don’t agree, do what you enjoy, just work hard at it, all this pushing people to university is crap, it’s not suitable for everyone and even we’ll educated people are not the smartest, you only have to look at some of the bellthronks on here to see that.

Yokel

LE
House prices are insane.
London is a no-go zone
Wages are stagnant
Inflation is rising
I will work until I die
Feral kids
Immigration is not controlled enough, my home towns have changed beyond all recognition.
Government is a joke
Budgets have been cut
Criminals are left alone
Rent is eye-watering
Food costs more
Fuel costs much more

Is that a poem, or is there a tune to go with it? How many of these things are unique to the UK, or to current times? What would people have said in the fifties or sixties?

However, that is not to say things cannot or should not be improved. I would like to see serious breaches of integrity being dealt with firmly - ie prosecution.

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
House prices are insane.
London is a no-go zone
Wages are stagnant
Inflation is rising
I will work until I die
Feral kids
Government is a joke
Budgets have been cut
Criminals are left alone
Rent is eye-watering
Food costs more
Fuel costs much more

You must live down south, up here in County Durham it’s all amazballs.

House prices are insane.
London is a no-go zone
Wages are stagnant
Inflation is rising
I will work until I die
Feral kids
Government is a joke
Budgets have been cut
Criminals are left alone
Rent is eye-watering
Food costs more
Fuel costs much more

If it helps, most of those issues can be attributed to us joining the common market in the 1970s on lies and obfuscation....our politicians direction ever since.
HTH

(But don't forget that the EU built all our infrastructure since, its easily recognised by those lovely blue flags with a yellow circle of stars)

The UK remains one of the best places in the world to live and work, as proven by the number of outsiders willing to risk their life savings and actual lives to get in.

Two things do bother me: -
Population density, which does mean controlling immigration, not because immigrants are in some way inferior or nasty, but just because there is a practical limit and England is one of the most densely populated bits of land there is.

The magnificent disrespect for democracy of some of our supposed leaders. I want to leave the EU because it isn't by British standards a democracy and I discover that they have a fifth column in the HoC who seem intent on achieving the same effect here.

Sadly I'm getting less and less sure that government will tackle either issue effectively in the near future.

Is that a poem, or is there a tune to go with it? How many of these things are unique to the UK, or to current times? What would people have said in the fifties or sixties?

However, that is not to say things cannot or should not be improved. I would like to see serious breaches of integrity being dealt with firmly - ie prosecution.

Like a modern day Chicken Town by John Cooper Clark? Here’s my version.

The ******* countries ******* skint,
The ******* business’ make a mint,
The ******* Police are ******* gone,
The ******* criminals have ******* won,
The immigrants are ******* flooding the place,
The ******* youth of today are off their face,
For **** sake put the knife down,
In a fried chicken shop in Chicken town.

The ******* food banks are ******* packed,
The ******* workers are ******* sacked,
The ******* disabled sent back to ******* work,
By some ******* Tory politician berk,
The ******* countries a ******* mess,
The ******* schoolboys wear a ******* dress,
Down the shit pan it goes down,
Evidently chicken town.

Last edited:

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I had the misfortune to visit the UK this summer, MiL funeral.

It’s was shocking how much it felt a strange land since I moved to Canada. The people seemed angry, there was an air of despair. It felt crowded, scruffy and run down.

There seemed to be real ranker in people I spoke to about Brexit and views entrenched.

It’s was shit, not because of the funeral but because there didn’t seem to be any joy in where I grew up.

I was so happy to come home to Ottawa.

House prices are insane.
London is a no-go zone
Wages are stagnant
Inflation is rising
I will work until I die
Feral kids
Government is a joke
Budgets have been cut
Criminals are left alone
Rent is eye-watering
Food costs more
Fuel costs much more

And Wagon Wheels are now much smaller as well.

House prices are insane.
London is a no-go zone
Wages are stagnant
Inflation is rising
I will work until I die
Feral kids
Government is a joke
Budgets have been cut
Criminals are left alone
Rent is eye-watering
Food costs more
Fuel costs much more

Did you nick these all of Daily Mail headlines?

endure

GCM
House prices are insane.

2 Bedroom semi up here is around ~£180k and plenty of jobs if you're a techy/engineery type person.

I had the misfortune to visit the UK this summer, MiL funeral.

It’s was shocking how much it felt a strange land since I moved to Canada. The people seemed angry, there was an air of despair. It felt crowded, scruffy and run down.

There seemed to be real ranker in people I spoke to about Brexit and views entrenched.

It’s was shit, not because of the funeral but because there didn’t seem to be any joy in where I grew up.

I was so happy to come home to Ottawa.
Your run down home town, clearly the result of joining a European Union LMFAO!

philc

LE
2 Bedroom semi up here is around ~£180k and plenty of jobs if you're a techy/engineery type person.

To be honest, I find UK house prices to be high (yes, it's London - just like any other big city in the world, a bit mental) but with regards to jobs for the techs, all you really need is a good internet connection and work from home most of the time. Even at my last one, we were not given fixed desks and were encouraged to WFH for 3 days of the week and come in and hot desk the other 2 days.

I didn't even see some of my colleagues who worked from Manchester, Lisbon and everywhere else who were technically based in the London office apart from once every quarter.

They were online and working of course, with a London address, but it was all though phone calls, emails, MS Skype.

Latest Threads