Current recruiting timescales in reserves (PQO) (ex-regular)?

Hi,

Looked at joining the reserves last year but due to general cluster that was Capita's takeover of recruitment I put it on the back burner and got on with my life concentrating on getting settled as a civi. Restarted my application this week and have completed on the dashboard all the questions through to application review which is pending. Next step is "face to face meeting" so I wondered if anyone could give me a sense of how long the process takes from this point... (assuming I pass all the stages of course and there aren't hiccups at my end). If it makes a difference I'm an ex regular (OR) nurse looking to join a field hospital as an officer.

Thanks

I have been in the process since Febuary. I finally have my medical on 16th November, I am also rejoining, civis should never have been put in charge of recruitment.

I have been in the process since Febuary. I finally have my medical on 16th November, I am also rejoining, civis should never have been put in charge of recruitment.
Cheers. Not encouraging, but at least it gives me some time to get my emerging civi belly back under control I suppose. I seem to remember when I joined up I'd been to the selection centre 5 weeks after walking in to the careers office, I guess it was a little optimistic to hope for something similar.

Capita are very poor at being proactive. I was able to get things going along at a decent pace once I came to the realisation that waiting for them was going to result in every step taking forever.

Best advice I can give you is to proactively phone them every week or so to ask for an update or for whatever it is you needto be doing. Once you submit something, follow it up with a phone call a few days or a week later.

Unless Capita are made to push you through the process they generally won't. You need to make them.

It's shit, but that was my experience. Took me forever to get a medical sorted and after that everything went fairly quickly because it was me phoning them all the time.

Capita are very poor at being proactive. I was able to get things going along at a decent pace once I came to the realisation that waiting for them was going to result in every step taking forever.

Best advice I can give you is to proactively phone them every week or so to ask for an update or for whatever it is you needto be doing. Once you submit something, follow it up with a phone call a few days or a week later.

Unless Capita are made to push you through the process they generally won't. You need to make them.

It's shit, but that was my experience. Took me forever to get a medical sorted and after that everything went fairly quickly because it was me phoning them all the time.
Good advice. I'll make sure I do.

Thanks

Cheers. Not encouraging, but at least it gives me some time to get my emerging civi belly back under control I suppose. I seem to remember when I joined up I'd been to the selection centre 5 weeks after walking in to the careers office, I guess it was a little optimistic to hope for something similar.

I have already been told by the unit I am joining to put in a complaint, its not something I would normally do but if it helps others joining after me im all for it. im fitter now then when I left due to starting boxing and only left 3 years ago so don't have to do selection or phase one, just phase 2 as im joining a different regiment

Hi,

Looked at joining the reserves last year but due to general cluster that was Capita's takeover of recruitment I put it on the back burner and got on with my life concentrating on getting settled as a civi. Restarted my application this week and have completed on the dashboard all the questions through to application review which is pending. Next step is "face to face meeting" so I wondered if anyone could give me a sense of how long the process takes from this point... (assuming I pass all the stages of course and there aren't hiccups at my end). If it makes a difference I'm an ex regular (OR) nurse looking to join a field hospital as an officer.

Thanks
Why did you leave in the first place?

I have already been told by the unit I am joining to put in a complaint, its not something I would normally do but if it helps others joining after me im all for it. im fitter now then when I left due to starting boxing and only left 3 years ago so don't have to do selection or phase one, just phase 2 as im joining a different regiment
Makes sense - complaints are against capita so none of the concern about potential blowback we might have had in the past. I've only been out since the start of last year but my job wasn't very active in the army but I did have the advantage of gym on site and time to go. Obviously bit different outside but I've been making an effort of late and hoping reconnecting with the army will help the motivation to keep it up. When I get in..!

Need for stability for my family. Moving around for postings didn't really work for us for a variety of reasons. Plus career prospects were actually better outside for the route I wanted to take
So do you actually think you would enjoy the AR? I know I wouldn't

So do you actually think you would enjoy the AR? I know I wouldn't
Interesting thought. Can't say for sure, of course, not having done it but the things that caused me to leave...postings and career...aren't a concern in the reserves and I can get involved for the fun of it. Genuinely interested if you have more thoughts on it?

Interesting thought. Can't say for sure, of course, not having done it but the things that caused me to leave...postings and career...aren't a concern in the reserves and I can get involved for the fun of it. Genuinely interested if you have more thoughts on it?
what cap badge you looking to go?

Sounds admirable, but be aware that the AR has been forced to get with the MS programme. Standby for the familiar round of SJAR/OJARs and people getting very exercised about career progression.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. Certainly happy to do what needs to be done but even so as it’s not my main career anymore it’s not likely to dominate my thinking in quite the same way. I guess I’ll find out soon enough

Just an update for anyone who's interested...

Had a few emails back and forth with the recruiters as I needed them to shift my application over from reserve soldier to reserve officer (there was no option for officer when I started and they advised to start the application and they would change it for me). Since them I've had more emails back and forth than seems necessary to ask again what I wanted to join, having already told them in the conversation about shifting my application from solider to Officer and why. Then to question if I wanted to join as a PQO, which I had already told them and confirmed in the previous email. Then to ask if I was a professional of some kind, which I am (Nurse - hence applying for a Nursing role!) and had confirmed in the previous two emails and had sent in my qualifications. Then to then ask if I was registered with some kind of professional body - they gave suggestions of possibilities none of which included the NMC (which I am and should really be a body they have heard of if they're recruiting Nurses). Waiting now for the next reply and anymore questions following from this --- I think however they have given a pretty good sense that this may not be a quick process after all

That is crazy! Good luck with it. Just make sure you keep calling for an update because if you get a decent person on the phone they’ll redirect you to someone who can help

I'd phone them rather than email them. Emails are too easily fobbed off or buried under new ones.

If whoever you need isn't available, do not accept their offer to let them know so they'll call you back. They never call you back. Phone back yourself in a few hours.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rapey MaGoo Seniors 7
Whiskybreath Int Corps 32
RRV8 Royal Navy 10