Current Major Conflicts

Discussion in 'Officers' started by JasonBourne123, May 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How extensive does your knowledge have to be on all the current major conflicts for the AOSB inteviews. As you probably know the list is exhausting.

2. You'll have to know a minute by minute blow of every single action.................. :roll:

What do you reckon? Broad overview of whats happening?? Ah, there we go.....................................

3. Read the quailty newspapers... (although I use the word 'quality' in its loosest possible sense), check through the posts on here (suitable/relevant threads)... and some web-searched sources of your own choosing and you should be fine.

A broad overview - rough idea of where/what/who, the potential repercussions and so on.... as mentioned above, does not require knowledge of the minutiae.

4. I would suggest that a slightly more detailed knowledge of the unit you wish to join wouldn't go amiss.

5. Wikipedia is a jolly good place to get an overview of each conflict. Just be on your toes for malicious editing, as in "The Iraq War, also known as the Second Persian Gulf War, the Occupation of Iraq, or Operation Iraqi Freedom, is an ongoing military campaign which began on March 20, 2003 with the invasion of Iraq by a multinational force now led by and composed almost entirely of troops from the United States and United Kingdom. IT WOZ STARTED BY TONY BLAIR, WHO'S A LYING CNUT, WITH HIS MISTRESS CAROL VORDERMAN".

6. Check out the Economist front two pages for a summary of the world's news. Further in (and in back copies) will be greater details of important stories.

GBTD

7. You are quite correct; I have run my eye up and down "that" list several times and such effort is exhausting.

Litotes

8. I think Litotes is hinting that the word should be exhaustive (and the list probably isn't, anyway). As has been said, read the better newspapers, including any relevant comment in them. And always have a good atlas to hand - it's surprising how much light a decent map will shed on almost any international conflict.

9. The normal advice of reading a quality broadsheet and/or magazine such as The Economist or The Week is advisable . However, remember that the situation where you need general knowledge is in the group discussions and it's your peers who pick the topics. I nearly came unstuck as I'd been reading the Economist, Times and the Guardian (for balance you understand) assiduously, whereas the topics that people picked sounded like they came off Newsround, e.g. Jade bloody Goody

10. A useful fact is to acknowledge that there are 70 conflicts currently under way at the present. You can admit you know this through your keen readership of the RUSI Journal...

11. To all that offered advice and constructive criticism thank you very much. It was very helpful.

Animus where did you find the time to read 3 newspapers? Well done for your research. I am glad you informed me that we pick the topic. I was under the impression that we were given the topic.

Litotes I did not mean to offend you, but I was reading this list http://www.historyguy.com/new_and_recent_conflicts.html and I personally found it exhausting. If you don’t, may be you could teach me a better way of revising. Thanks.

12. ^ Well apart from the fact I'm quite a voracious reader (especially after winding down from finals) I read the Times to and from work on the Underground (Not cover to cover though, remember what they're looking for in discussions are for you to have a good knowledge of current affairs but more importantly to have an opnion and to be able to put it across, if you don't have an opnion the Times can give you a very nicely balanced one! Therefore reading the inside cover and Comment section are probably your best bet if stretched for time).

I read the Guardian website at work mostly due to my easy city job. Economist, again not cover to cover, at weekends.

The point is though, that while all this is great, it was probably a bit over the top. You're going to be chatting with your peers, some of whom haven't even gone to university, not preparing for a verbal spar with Paxman or Marr.

Alternatively and probably the most useful is watching Newsnight, all the big topics, no matter how trivial (i.e. Jade Goody) discussed in an intelligent way. I rate it highly. Fantastic stuff.

13. The Times newspaper is generally very good.

14. You make a lot of sense Animus, that was really good advice. Thank you so much

15. For some great, cutting-edge news material on current major conflicts, try these blogs:

Abu Muqawama
    Tom Ricks' blog
    Abu Aardvark
    Kings of War

Follow them regularly and you'll be an expert on COIN/4GW/hybrid/modern warfare, the internal workings of Pakistan, and other security-related current affairs in no time. AM and Ricks link to most of the must-read news stories and articles as they appear.