Current Issue G10 Wristwatch

Just a bit of history. This was my Grandfather's watch. I know nothing about it but it keeps good time. There's an old photo of him at the end of WW2 where he appears to be wearing it, but I doubt it was issued - he probably blagged it off some wealthy pilot (or could have been purchased post war and the one in the photo was an earlier watch):
View attachment 234618
Please don't be tempted to get the scratches out the glass (or God forbid replace it). Leave everything as original as you can.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs. I consider watches that bridge the generations very special.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs. I consider watches that bridge the generations very special.
I have my grandfather's watches a gold Longines and a Tissot both need crystals and they sre staying that way. Even down to the dreadful expanding strap on the Tissot.
That was how he had them, thats how they will stay.

Please don't be tempted to get the scratches out the glass (or God forbid replace it). Leave everything as original as you can.

I agree completely. I suspect the cost of a full refurbishment would be astronomical anyway, but as far as I'm concerned, the scratches, wearing of the plate on the case, etc. are all part of its 'provenance' - as @Conniesdad says, that's how he had it, and that's how it'll stay. The only thing I have done is put it on a leather strap, as the gold Speidel bracelet was far too large for my wrist. Rather than alter that, it's safely in the box that the watch came to me in.

I've still got mine, bit small on me these days.
Just inspired me to dig mine out. I've wound it up (it ticks!) and will see if it's accurate still. I had forgotten how small it is - pic shows it next to my 'everyday' watch, which isn't particularly big. If I did decide to start wearing it again, I'd have to find a suitable strap - probably what would be classed as a Ladies strap nowadays.
IMGA0010.jpg

Citizen ecodrive chrono on g10 strap

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Those Eco drives any good. I'm torn between that or a time factors Everest.
I've been looking at eco-drives as I like Citizen watches - Citizen themselves say at least ten years and reckon even after twenty it'll still be able to keep 80% of its charge. But I have heard people say they've had them and the mechanism has crapped out after 6-7 years. Hence me going for a purely mechanical automatic recently. But as much I hate to say to it, my Promaster has had two sets of internals, both of which have failed (and they only guarantee replacement parts for 12 months) which makes me a bit leery of buying one again. FWIW, I'm loving the Seiko I bought just after christmas.

I've been looking at eco-drives as I like Citizen watches - Citizen themselves say at least ten years and reckon even after twenty it'll still be able to keep 80% of its charge. But I have heard people say they've had them and the mechanism has crapped out after 6-7 years. Hence me going for a purely mechanical automatic recently. But as much I hate to say to it, my Promaster has had two sets of internals, both of which have failed (and they only guarantee replacement parts for 12 months) which makes me a bit leery of buying one again. FWIW, I'm loving the Seiko I bought just after christmas.

Have had mine ten years now including 2 telic tours and many misadventures through imbibing vino collapso and its still rocking it like day one

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Have had mine ten years now including 2 telic tours and many misadventures through imbibing vino collapso and its still rocking it like day one
maybe I've just been unlucky. lovely watch (and the first decent one I ever bought myself) but I'm a bit leery of getting it fixed again just to crap out. Again. Like everything, you pays your money and you takes your choice. :)

I'm quite taken with Junkers - who I didn't even realise made watches until recently:

Junkers watches | Official Junkers UK stockist
Nice looking watches amongst the range. The name and its provenance are great, just need to know if it's sapphire glass? Screw on back?
I've had one of these for the past 6-7 years and replaced the battery twice. Bought it on a Luftwaffe flight for 150 euros and worn it everyday since then. Replaced the leather strap twice. I never have to adjust the time but I do travel frequently so I'm always moving it back or forward.
For me, it was about the big numbers so I didn't have to put me specs on to tell the time.

[photo="medium"]10326[/photo] [photo="medium"]10327[/photo]

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Luftwaffe? or did you mean Lufthansa?

Those Eco drives any good. I'm torn between that or a time factors Everest.
I've got an EcoDrive - a present from my Bro. It works well, hasn't had a new battery or failed in 4 years so far. I don't wear it that often, but after it stopped because it was kept in a drawer (needs light or the battery doesn't charge) I assumed it would need a new battery, but I just put it on the windowsill for a few days and off it went again. I keep it out of the drawer now, and haven't had any problems (ETA: good luminous numbers and hands - keep their glow for quite some time)

The strap it's on, BTW, came from Aldi - with a cheap watch attached which I gave away - but it's a good quality leather strap for £8.99, which I thought was a good deal!
IMGA0022.jpg

Her in doors sports a G10 watch when at work. I got pissed off with her crap time keeping same goes for my lad he sports one at uni little git always missed the bus to school .I alternate between G10 and Citizan Eco,the Eco never misses a beat come rain or snow it is always spot on same with the G10.
I won a bet with a naval diver moons ago and was extremely happy with my winnings a nice Rolex. Mind you he did say that it would just be written off as lost whilst diving. I did offer him a small business opertunity which he declined mores the pity.
I have a weird ish sort of hobby.I collect Chinese watches at about £15 a pop they keep good time and not to badly made the only fault is that they are blood heavy.
My first ever watch was a Seiko Chronograph bought on the tick on my arrival to battalion in Germany in 1981.
It was still going strong until the wife whilst I was away had the battery changed by some prick at a market ,silly cow the let my young lad use it on a camping trip yep it got wet on return dumped in to a draw and forgotten about.I returned from deployment to find a rusty trashed watch.