Current Issue G10 Wristwatch

I've got an EcoDrive - a present from my Bro. It works well, hasn't had a new battery or failed in 4 years so far. I don't wear it that often, but after it stopped because it was kept in a drawer (needs light or the battery doesn't charge) I assumed it would need a new battery, but I just put it on the windowsill for a few days and off it went again. I keep it out of the drawer now, and haven't had any problems (ETA: good luminous numbers and hands - keep their glow for quite some time)

The strap it's on, BTW, came from Aldi - with a cheap watch attached which I gave away - but it's a good quality leather strap for £8.99, which I thought was a good deal!
View attachment 235806
You've got three more years with it then.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I've had one of these for the past 6-7 years and replaced the battery twice. Bought it on a Luftwaffe flight for 150 euros and worn it everyday since then. Replaced the leather strap twice. I never have to adjust the time but I do travel frequently so I'm always moving it back or forward.
For me, it was about the big numbers so I didn't have to put me specs on to tell the time.

[photo="medium"]10326[/photo] [photo="medium"]10327[/photo]
Damn, that's good. I'm due to spend some of the late Aged Ps money on a couple of watches. I'm sure he'd find the humour in a couple of Junkers.

I've had one of these for the past 6-7 years and replaced the battery twice. Bought it on a Luftwaffe flight for 150 euros and worn it everyday since then. Replaced the leather strap twice. I never have to adjust the time but I do travel frequently so I'm always moving it back or forward.
For me, it was about the big numbers so I didn't have to put me specs on to tell the time.

[photo="medium"]10326[/photo] [photo="medium"]10327[/photo]
Why the spicy mince pie and crocodile burgers?

You've got three more years with it then.
The thing that intrigued me was how much a battery will cost when it finally goes, so I've just had the back off it.

I was expecting to see some kind of weird contraption in there, but it appears that it's a relatively straightforward rechargeable battery.

They seem to go for about £15-£20 online, so not too unreasonable.
IMGA0023.jpg

Don't just jerk the battery out. It has a strap soldered/riveted to the negative side.
I noticed on the sites selling the batteries that some of them said there was a tagged version and untagged and you needed to check the movement number to know which it is. I'll probably take it somewhere to get the battery changed, rather than risk buggering it up completely (which goes against my tight-fisted nature having shelled out for the gear to do my own battery changes!)

The thing that intrigued me was how much a battery will cost when it finally goes, so I've just had the back off it.

I was expecting to see some kind of weird contraption in there, but it appears that it's a relatively straightforward rechargeable battery.

They seem to go for about £15-£20 online, so not too unreasonable.
View attachment 235832
I've read the eco gubbins is only good for seven years, then the whole watch is knacked.

Just a bit of history. This was my Grandfather's watch. I know nothing about it but it keeps good time. There's an old photo of him at the end of WW2 where he appears to be wearing it, but I doubt it was issued - he probably blagged it off some wealthy pilot (or could have been purchased post war and the one in the photo was an earlier watch):
View attachment 234618
Ooi have you had the luminous paint job checked ? A lot of early watches used a radium compound. Not quite what you'd want to wear most days.

Are those the Corps colours of the RAChD ?
It is the commonly [incorrectly] used colours to pay homage to the James Bond watch.....as originally worn by Connery (Rolex) and latterly seen worn by Mr Craig (Omega).

The problem is that it is wrong, wrong,......wrong, ....wrong, ........wrong!

Connery originally wore a Royal Jocks strap with its colours, that has over the years, due no doubt to black and white photography been abbreviated to a grey and black pattern.......called the James Bond strap in the Rolex anorak community.

Connery, way back when, described as being 'dark navy, dark olive, with thin burgundy stripes':

The newer version, grey and black......I lusted over one and left nose marks on the shop window so I know it is grey and black:

Prompted by an ad which popped up on my pages here, I'd like to put in a 'Not Recommended' point; do not, under any circumstances, buy a watch made by 'MWC'. I bought one ten years ago, thinking that it would do what it said on the box; ie show the time in the middle of the night. I got it while on leave in the UK, took it back to my place of work and tried it out on my first night back. All I could see was a splodge of weak light from my wrist - I've no idea how they managed to foul up that function, but thankfully it wasn't too crucial on the occasion, as I was with someone with a timer that worked. The annoyance was sufficient for me to give it to a village kiddie next day, after a serious snotgram to the seller.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I had one of those (Mwc) sold it to the dames best friend as a pressie for the hubby. It went ping as in bits fell off within a short space of time.
It was never mentioned, but I was embarrassed. Going through the late Aged Ps stuff I found the G10 I'd given him as a spare on one of his zero birthdays.
Mint, I took it and gave the dames hubby my own by way of an apology. That was some eight years later, he was delighted.
Real shit in the dark though.
Go Timex expedition

Well, time to dug up this old thread on watches.
My bonus has been good this year and after sticking the bulk into the joint savings account I have some dosh left over :)
I have my sights set on a Smiths W10. eBay seems ro have a number, is there any where else I should be looking?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, time to dug up this old thread on watches.
My bonus has been good this year and after sticking the bulk into the joint savings account I have some dosh left over :)
I have my sights set on a Smiths W10. eBay seems ro have a number, is there any where else I should be looking?
Not old but I'm looking at a couple on Timefactors for dressing up nights out. (Although at my ex works do last night I was wearing a timex, rough crowd)