Current Deployments

Discussion in 'Juniors' started by A_Matelot, Feb 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if there are currently any NI deployments available, and where I could find the available ones if so?

2. NI stopped being operational years ago so there's no deployments over here (unless you happen to be of the communities which still regularly work over here but if you were you wouldn't need to ask on ARRSE about postings).

Depending on capbadge there are still units in NI you could be posted to.

If you're RN then I'm not sure there'd be much outside of a PSI type posting to an RNR unit or possibly to whatever HQNI is called these days?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3. Thought as much. It's just that I noticed the GSNorthern Ireland medal was still an operational campaign medal, it got me curious. Cheers.

4. Has the Maidstone gone to the great breakers in the sky after all this time !!

5. Think it stopped being awarded in about 2007 when Banner finished. EOD are still working over here and possibly a few others dotted around supporting the PSNI but so far as I'm aware they don't get medals anymore (unless they do something very silly, obviously).

If you're after a medal then NI's no good to you.

6. Nah, I'm not medal hunting like. My unit's just in a bit of a cluster at the minute when it comes to going to a frontline squadron and subsequently a deployment of any sort. Be it sea-going or otherwise. Getting a bit bored of sitting in the UK doing nothing and would much rather be sitting somewhere else doing nothing for a few months.

7. You'll need to be a diver and EOD qualed for NI.

8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Have a chat with your DO and get them (or you) to speak to your Waterfront career managers and see what OpTours are available. Plus you could look to swap draft with a deployed unit, I think Navy News still does swap drafts.

Failing that there is the uber hard STC branch that is recruiting. They work extensively with 49 Para and do all sorts of exciting stuff. Pop over to Rum Ration (tab at the top of this page) as that is the Naval version of ARRSE but with better looking people. They have plenty of people who can help MLP and Blackrat spring to mind

9. I'll go get the popcorn...

A_Matelot- by the talk of "squadrons", "sitting in the uk" and "frontline unit" I'm guessing you're a wafu? Even if you're not, try having a look over in MASF down culdrose- they're always flying people out places to serve on RN and RFA ships.

10. You could always try P Sqn 43 Cdo. Unless that's the cluster you're at currently.

11. Mlp has given me quite a bit of good advice both on and away from the forum. However, I dislike rum ration.

12. Only problem with them is most of the billets are out of trade, so not much on promotion prospects.

13. Navy types can go for SFC at 18 Sigs can't they? You could give that a go...