Current coy named after an old regt?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by the_beer_man, Oct 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wasn't sure where to put this so thought someone in here may know.

My coy bears the name of an old infantry regt that, oddly enough, my great grandad served in during the first world war. Is this purely co incidental or would it be a historical link that has caused it?

2. A historical link probably. In these days of super regiments, which have been created by continuous amalgamations, I would think that a few infantry Bns have rifle coys that bear the name of former regiments. My old Bn (1 R ANGLIAN) has A (Norfolk) Coy, B (Suffolk) Coy, C (Essex) Coy and D (Cambridgeshire) Coy.

3. A historical - and local - link.

e.g. B (The Green Howards) Company, The Yorkshire Volunteers. Then B (The Green Howards) Coy, Tyne Tees Regiment, Yorkshire Regt etc.

Prior to being Yorkshire Volunteers, it was B Coy, 4/5th Bn, The Green Howards. It does have an element of coincidence, though, it's always been B Coy, regardless of regiment.

4. B (Queen's Regiment) Company of the Londons are badged PWRR but clearly show their lineage.

5. Ok cheers. Royal West Kents is part of my coy name. My grandad was from Mile End when he signed up so the chance of him having anything directly to do with my coy is slim to none but I still found it a rather odd co incidence after all these years.

6. That's just confusing.

I nearly joined them in '81 but for two reasons. Firstly, I couldn't have stood the ribbing if any of my old mates asked who I'd transferred to (this was pre-LONDONS) and secondly, they were (I think) Home Defence at that time.

7. [QUOTEI nearly joined them in '81 but for two reasons. Firstly, I couldn't have stood the ribbing if any of my old mates asked who I'd transferred to (this was pre-LONDONS) and secondly, they were (I think) Home Defence at that time.[/QUOTE]

In '81 the company didn't have a NATO role and was B 'Albuhera' Company, 6/7 QUEEN'S(V).

At that time the company were badged QUEEN'S but were more biased to the links with the Middlesex Regiment (DCO) as reflected in the company title, company traditions and the nickname within the battalion of the 'Middlesex Mafia'.

The recruiting chat around 1992 went something like this...

"OK son, listen carefully, I'll try and explain it one more time - the London Regiment is the largest infantry battalion in the army consisting of four multi-badge rifle companies - A (London Scottish), B (Queen's Regiment), C (City of London Fusiliers) and D (London Irish Rifles). We are B (Queen's Regiment) Company, which despite the fact we wear the uniform and insignia of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment or PWRR and was formed from the Queen's and Royal Hampshire Regiments in 1992, furthermore B Company is intensely proud of its links with the old Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own) - the famous Die-Hards of Albuhera fame.......... tell you what son why don't you go and join 4 RGJ or 10 Para?"

• Like Like x 2