Current Best Specifications for a Desktop?

Does anyone know what is the current best specifications for a desktop, Graphics card, hard drive size, power etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Gundulph

Amazing, Thanks for that, not looking for a cheap desktop, was wondering what the current top specs are for a desktop, any idea?

Gundulph

Actually, Gundulph (was that the park in Hameln?), that's not really a bad specification - you could always buy a decent graphics card to stick in it. Then it would be a pretty decent machine. I've looked around and that is quite a good price, even compared to building one with the same spec, due to coming with a copy of Vista worth 140 quid.

Although, if you are looking to spend an obscene amount, try looking around the AlienWare website (though they are very, very expensive)... although I would recommend building one, as you can save a huge amount that way (and you can always download a dogdy version of Windows Vista to save yourself a huge sum, too.).

Hope that helps,

A_L

I can strongly recommend any one of the new Intel Mac's. Mac's can now run any "spit" Windows based applications, just quicker with half the RAM. Better made than most PC's with better integrated hardware and excellent back up.

It's guaranteed for three years. My folks have also bought a couple of PC's from Aldi, and the same make and have never had any dramas.

I also had a laptop made by the same company that I bought from Dixons and that lasted me pretty well until I broke it (was squaddy proof, but only until a point).

But I am also toying with the idea of picking one up, and I really cannot afford it.

Mr Happy

LE
the best machine you can get at the moment if you don't want to build it yourself is actually a Mac with 2 dual core CPU's, (so 4 processors!) its called the Mac Pro, and you can spec one up at www.apple.com

For windows, a high spec machine would be a Dual Core Extreme processor, 2Gb+ of RAM, 750Gb+ H/D and a graphics card with at least 512Mb, on a fast MoBo

Mr Happy,

Sounds like the computer specs for the Space Shuttle :headbang:

Thanks for this,

Gundulph

If you minded to go for the best then the only real way to get the top spec is to build yourself:

Intel Duo Quad Core - £630
EVGA S775 MB - £180
4 Gig Corsair XMS2 RAM - £360
Western Digital 10,000 rpm HD - £150
2 x 8800 Factory OC in SLI - £850
Energymax 1000W PSU - £210
Creative XFi Soundcard - £80-£190
Dell 30" LCD monitor - £1000

Keyboard and mouse to choice.

Plenty of OC space fi you want to water cool, even if you dont its about the best spec that you can get from factory standard parts at the moment.

Oh and Use XP Pro or MCE not vista as its slower for most applications and the 8800 drivers are mega unstable.

'2 x 8800 Factory OC in SLI - £850'

I'm Ass-uming that these are the graphic cards?

Edeted for mongness

yes they are:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

There may even be faster factory oc cards.

GTX are the top of the range. You could in theory have 4 of them, if you found a quad board, but drivers are not mature and there will already be a bottle neck at the cpu with a quad core cpu with 2 so 4 is just a waste af graphics power which can never be used currently.

Just remember that with a 30" monitor, you are going to need a seriously powerful graphics card if you want to get the best out of it so no cutbacks in the graphics card department!!

(I'd still recommend a mac though)

Laury said:
I can strongly recommend any one of the new Intel Mac's. Mac's can now run any "spit" Windows based applications, just quicker with half the RAM. Better made than most PC's with better integrated hardware and excellent back up.
It is also possible to run Mac OS on a PC. Google the words "Mac OS x86". Some people claim it runs even better than it does on a Mac!

Youd be looking at 3 grand for a complete top spec machine and masses upon masses of power consumption and heat generated so water cooling is definately advisable.

Hard drive - You can now get small 15,000 RPM HDDs - Use it for installing your favourite games and running your OS. Get a second data hard drive 1TB for storage (it will more than likely be 2 x 0.5TB HDDs running in RAID).

2 x Geforce 8800 GTX cards running SLi
My mobo can support up to 8GB RAM, so thats 4x2GB DDR 800 chips. Pay for good ones.

Processor id never get an Intel, go down the AMD Athlon dual core route.

You will need a monster PSU, ive seen 1100W ones kicking around the internet.

Alienware is a good site, also try http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk, not quite as geeky as alienware but you can still configure your own system

Bare in mind you don't NEED anything close to this powerful, id get the grpahics card so you can SLI later on but stick to 2GB ram, get a good mobo for upgrading later on and perhaps shell out for a top spec processor.

If you are after a gaming machine, then you are best waiting for the next generation of DX10 graphics cards. Now is not a very good time to be buying an expensive PC, due to DX10 just being released.

Wait a while, if you cant, here are the recommended specs for current machines to run the latest software/games, with some nice shizzle thrown in:

RAM: 2048Mbs of DDR2 (2Gbs)

Processer: Dual core from AMD, each core running at around 2.4.

Hard drive: Raid HDD (2 hard drives mounted side by side, data back up) with at least 300Gbs of storage. 10,000 rpm at least.

Graphics cards: I recommend SLI (2 Nvidias mounted side by side)

Screen: Get an LCD not TFT, TFTs are slow and annoying. 17" min.

Power supply: 400Watts minimum.

You'll struggle with a 400W PSU and SLi cards, also 10,000RPM hard drives aint cheap if all you want to use them for is data storage it just isnt worth it.

Latest Threads