Current Application Ongoing; Is It Worth Applying for Reserves too?

Hi all,

I had a quick search and couldn't find anything on here specifically related to my question. I have a current Officer application ongoing, however, I know it'll most likely be the end of the year before I may get into training, and that's if I'm not delayed anywhere. I was wondering whether it's worthwhile applying for the reserves alongside my main application to become a reservist in the meantime, get some experience of the lifestyle and fitness etc and potentially some additional experience, or is that just detrimental to my full time application? I have a suspicion that I would only be allowed one application at a time and it's one or the other.

Thanks for any advice. Apologies to moderators if I've missed this question elsewhere - I've fallen foul of that already.

If you think that you are going to get into a reserve unit before you get to RMAS, think again.

Have a look at any of the myriad of complaints on here about how long the process can take.....

Short answer: no.

Why clog up the system?

If you think that you are going to get into a reserve unit before you get to RMAS, think again.

Have a look at any of the myriad of complaints on here about how long the process can take.....

I did think it was probably likely to take a while, but wasn't sure if it might be quicker than the regular application

Short answer: no.

Why clog up the system?

Mainly in the interest of getting experience to help with my regular application and also get more insight into Army life. Whilst I have an idea, it's different to getting hands-on experience. Fair enough though, it's probably better to just wait for the regular application to go through.

To piggyback off of this thread, I’m in a similar position but technically still on the OTC’s books... could I transfer over to a reserve unit from there? Keen to do something before getting to RMAS which will inevitably not be before the end of this year.
The time it would take for you to establish yourself sufficiently to be of use would probably be as long or longer than waiting for your application to work its way through the system.

To piggyback off of this thread, I’m in a similar position but technically still on the OTC’s books... could I transfer over to a reserve unit from there? Keen to do something before getting to RMAS which will inevitably not be before the end of this year.
Depends where you are Mod wise. If A and B it could just be a short course to get you up to speed with bits you generally don't cover in UOTC. If you've already completed C then most local units will have your arm off. Transferring is quick and painless. With 10 months of the year to go there's plenty of opportunities in most units to do "stuff" like Ph2 training so you can join Regt or outside Exs.

Latest Threads