Current Affairs versus Intelligence

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by putteesinmyhands, Jan 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know they've been running under their current titles for such a long time but there's quite evidently a lot of confusion over what content is expected to be in them. I'd suggest that the source of the confusion is the inclusion of "News" in "Current Affairs, News and Analysis". The only clue that it's only for high-brow news is that Daily Mail news is invited to be referred to The Intelligence Cell.

The ambiguity leads to Mods locking, holing or moving (if they're feeling generous) threads followed by irate contributors opening one or more threads to complain that they've been unfairly treated.

Perhaps retitling as "Analysis of Current Affairs" and "News and Gossip" would alleviate some of the confusion and reduce blood pressure.

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Now Puttees, stop being sensible. There is no knowing where this sort of talk will lead!

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Sorry Puttees, missed this one first time around.

It's a valid point but the COs did, at PTP's request, add a 'for geo-political news & current affairs analysis' (paraphrased) tag to CA on the old site software but it didn't make an awful lot of difference.

There really shouldn't be any ambiguity for anyone who's been on the site for any length of time but I'd agree that it could be confusing for new members / people who don't look in a lot. You'd still not believe the amount of dross that has to be shifted though, posted by people who should know better.

Your suggestion is one I agree with though. Anything to stem the tide would be welcome.

Will have to see what the COs think.

4. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

An interesting idea and I'm all for making moderators' lives easy ..... I'm just envisioning the howls of protest along the lines of 'where has the int cell gone'....

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The Int Cell sits in News,Gossip & Chat so the name could be changed to Rumour Control or Rumour Centre - this is after all the Army Rumour Service.

There will be some bitching from the usual sources but people will get used to it quickly - FFS you just changed the whole site recently.