CURRENCY EXCHANGE - HIGH STREET OUTLETS

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by chimera, Aug 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Thomas Cook/HSBC used to sell foreifgh currency commission free to Service personnel - I don't see that being offered anymore on their website.

Any advice if anyone else does this? I am looking to use a bank or high street outlet rather than having it delivered.

2. Try Marks and Spencers always get the best deal there, beats the others hands down

3. Most places are 'commission free' these days.... However, all they then do is make the spread sodding ridiculous, so if the Euro is £1.15, they'll sell them to you at £1.10 and buy em back at £1.20, pocketing the difference, but it's ok, because they're not charging you to use they're service :roll:

I just use my cash card and the hole in the wall in dagoland

4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

What he says. Using cards in Greece for example gave me a better return for my money when paying for meals/cars/trips etc.

5. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Thanks to all for the advice.

6. I always draw cash from the ATM, but not at £10 a time because there is a fixed fee for withdrawals.

However I put most of my foreign spend on my Nationwide credit card. They don't charge commission and I have always found the rate to be fairly close to the market rate on the BBC website.

Only thing is to check their website before travelling because VISA charge a 0.84% fee in some places (not in the few EU countries I checked, but they do in the US)