Curing anger management issues

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by TheIronDuke, Feb 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

You are going to take the piss here, and that is fine within fairly well defined perimeters. Thus:

When I say 'my mate' I do actually mean a mate of mine who is moderately in the shit. I do not mean me. If I had anger management issues I would twat some **** and do the time.

Good. We are clear.

Heres the deal.

My mate has been with his bird for ten years. Through thick and thin. The good times and the bad. They are cool and I love them both.

But every now and then he looses the plot and chucks crockery at the wall.

My mate (the bird, and we have only ever been mates. I have no desire to shag her. Nor she, me. Jesus ******* Christ but ARRSE is a hard place to ask for advice)

Where was I?

Ah yes. So, if you had a problem with anger management issues, what would be your first shout?

2. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Mate of mine went to his GP and got referred to counselling. Personally, I just **** off to the pub when I get angry and don't come back until I'm too drunk to see, let alone throw things.

3. Gay Walt!

You have to first get the angry party to admit they have a problem and then they should go to anger management counselling.

Or start drinking heavily.

4. Sounds like he is managing it - by chucking stuff at the wall.

As long as he doesn't chuck it at her, then there shouldn't be a problem.

And if it's left to him to clean up the mess AFTER he's calmed down, and then to take himself off on a shopping trip to buy replacements then it should slowly get through to him that he's being a prat.

5. Go out for a long walk, the Shed is another favourite or just bugger off up the allotment

6. Cheaper crockery is the way forward.

I would also re-enforce one wall with padding to act as a butt-stop - possibly decorated with a giant picture of Gordon Brown's face, overliad with scoring rings.

Win/Win!

7. Paper / plastic plates and plastic drinking things. (I was going to type plastic glasses but how do you get plastic glasses? I mean glass is glass and plastic is plastic.) This thread will throw up more questions than answers.

8. Whats he angry about?

9. Recreational drugs.

10. Like was mentioned before, pissing off to the shed is a good cure. But so is breaking crockery. Put them together and you have the solution.

11. Dont thank me

Anger management is for touchy-feely-leftie gayers. He should chuck some of them about. The effect will probably cheer him up.

12. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

GNAAAAR-AR-AR...

More seriously, it depends what the cause of the anger is: something in the immediate, or something more deep-rooted from the past. I've mentioned on another thread a good mate who when he got into a scrap would just snap, do awful damage and not remember a thing after. The root was being beaten as a child, but it took professional help to get to that as it was so locked in he had no memory of it.

Putting his coat on and going for a walk (we're back to your mate now) isn't as daft an option as it might sound. However, although it gets him away from the immediate situation it doesn't solve things long-term.

I don't think counselling has either the stigma or the 'wetness' that it was perceived to have by previous generations. Even if there is no 'history' driving his behaviour, your mate could come away with some coping mechanisms.

There are NHS options but they're limited. The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (Google them) can help with people to go and see in your/his local area.

Of course, he could just buy tin plates...

13. I cured my anger mangement issues by telling the *cough*individual*cough* who told me to count to ten and imagine puppies and rainbows to go *cough*fudge*cough* his own face. Now I just have anger issues. Hope this helps.

Edit: Whoops, not the NAAFI. Titty-biscuits.

14. A damn good gym workout either CV or weights

Or

Take up disciplined contact sport which is helpful, not suited to everyone but 'controlling it' is the first step.

Besides I agree with Macber, at least it's not directly at her, I know people who punch doors & walls rather than the china plates.