Cure for asthma? What will the Army say?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by KennyT04, Nov 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all just a quick question. A new treatment for asthma has recently been announced and it is now possible to get treatment, without having to sign up as a human ginny pig. The treatment is called Bronchial Thermoplasty, and for people with mild asthma, the treatment will keep their lungs functioning well for at least 5 years, and people with severe asthma I believe it's 2-3 years.

I have mild asthma, and am considering getting the treatment to relieve it. What do you think the Armed Forces views on this are? Will this allow people such as me to get accepted even if they've had asthma within the last 4 years or not? Also, what do you think about this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I would volunteer for RLC / EFI if I were you.

Have a look at the NAAFI web site.

3. Will do. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Kenny, ignore him. He's taking the piss

5. Don't know anything about it but you still have a diagnosis of asthma.

6. Yeah but, do you think anything will change in the near future? (preferably within the next 4 years -.-).

7. A quick google suggests that if you had this done its as a trial it's expensive. Long term effects will not yet be known and I'd expect the MOD would be cautious. It also looks like its for treatment resistive asthmatics.

8. Next 4 yrs,,Why are you 13/14yrs old or something?,,

Being a chronic Asthma-COPD sufferer I can tell you that apart from the following,,,Atrovent (Ventolin),Seretide,Spiriva,there is NO medium/long term fix,,unless the Asthma is 'Nervous' your lungs are fucked and you adjust life accordingly and that rules out active service in any service where stamina is required.....

9. I'd doubt it. It's only a trial so they'll need a few years to see the outcome before changing their policy

10. No, not a chance.

a) you've still got asthma
    b) they might just want you predictably fit for more than 5 years
    c) but, if they ever were to contemplate it, like laser eye surgery, they'll want to see lots of evidence before deciding - certainly a representative cohort through the expected 5 years and consequences beyond
    d) like laser eye surgery, they'll want to know your pre-treatment diagnosis, which takes us back to:

a) you still have asthma.

11. The Military are incredibly conservative when it comes to 'new' treatments. For example laser eye surgery is still not fully accepted despite it being available in virtually every large city in the country for a few hundred pounds. Even if this turns out to be the holy grail of asthma treatments (unlikely though this is) the Army will want long term followup studies. This would firstly be soldiers who 'develop' it in service and if they do ok then they might extend it to recruits.
    Given previous treatments rate of adoption (ACL repair, LASIK) across a variety of conditions I don't think the guidance is likely to change for recruits in the next 10 years let alone 4.
    Best to consider an alternative career unless you are magically cured by some other means

12. Forget it!

Unless the treatment is proven over a number of years, the Army will not consider it.

It also does not accept certain eye laser procedures as again, they have not been proven over time.

13. Next 4 years because I have asthma and have just stopped using my inhaler, because I never really needed it. I believe I have the stamina, and definitely have room and mentality to develop it. I used to be a long distance swimmer, but quit because it got boring. And then I got asthma.

I get what you're saying though, with the whole laser eye surgery etc.

14. If you didn't need it you wouldn't use it. Remember lots of people die from asthma every year, don't risk your health/life for a job.

15. Just make sure you keep your inhaler handy, all very well and good to just stop using it but it's been prescribed for a reason, so don't take stupid risks for the sake of the 4 year thing mate.