Cumbria

Cries of "Super! Smashing! Great" can be heard all over Cumbria, as one family from Cockermouth can finally use that fecking speedboat they won on Bullseye several years ago.

The sooner a temporary solution is sorted out, the better. The town is effectively cut in 2 since the bridges collapsed/are about to collapse. It's making it very difficult travelling up and down the west coast.

The_Highway_Man said:
The sooner a temporary solution is sorted out, the better. The town is effectively cut in 2 since the bridges collapsed/are about to collapse. It's making it very difficult travelling up and down the west coast.
Whats th status of the railway bridges?

The rail bridge has been passed as safe and normal services as scheduled to restart tomorrow, the line was under water in places. The engines that run the line are diesel so there was no danger of damage to electricity supply. The train station is the opposite end of Workington to the shopping centre so the taxi's are going to do well out of the floods.

The_Highway_Man said:
The rail bridge has been passed as safe and normal services as scheduled to restart tomorrow, the line was under water in places. The engines that run the line are diesel so there was no danger of damage to electricity supply. The train station is the opposite end of Workington to the shopping centre so the taxi's are going to do well out of the floods.
Cheers Highway man.
If memory serves there is another railway bridge that connects the docks on the north side to where the rail cars used to be built on the south side.
Could this not be used as a footbridge with connecting bus services on either side?
Many years since I looked down there and can't remember what form the 2nd bridge takes (if its still there?)

Not looking good on the LSB front!

Minimum gap required to be crossed is 54m wth footwalks...oops we can't do that!

Another brilliant policy from HQ EinC!

jagman said:
The_Highway_Man said:
Cheers Highway man.
If memory serves there is another railway bridge that connects the docks on the north side to where the rail cars used to be built on the south side.
Could this not be used as a footbridge with connecting bus services on either side?
Many years since I looked down there and can't remember what form the 2nd bridge takes (if its still there?)
This has been taken from the local paper forum ;-

QUOTE (Russell W. Barnes @ Oct 28 2009, 08:46 PM)
I'm told that the industrial (mineral) railway from the dock to the former Moss Bay works has been lifted, and the last train has run over the dock-bridge. What's going to happen now? Will a foot-way still be provided from the Quay to the dock, or will the bridge be removed altogether?

Another nail in the coffin of industrial Workington, but an acorn in the woods of the new touristville!

Old_banger said:

Minimum gap required to be crossed is 54m wth footwalks...oops we can't do that!

Explain?

I just hope the sappers that come to erect the bridge are up to date with their shots as the local female population will be gagging for fresh portions of squaddie c0ck!

chimera said:
Old_banger said:

Explain?
Probably down to training objectives or capabilities. In other words I'd be suprised if you can manage to construct a 54m LSB c/w footwalks without having piers. And you can take a guess at what wasn't covered in the LSB design package......

This is just guess work on my part though, I expect to be corrected by somebody who knows better.

Don't get the riggys started. They are still bitter about not be properly used on Telic with most of the bridging being done by the TA.

FUGAX said:
M3 could be a tempory solution, Gap size would not be a problem.

412 Troop from Hameln would need to be mobilised though :D

How the fcuk are M3s the answer? They have to be manned 24/7 and are only expected to be in place for hours not days, yet alone weeks!

And to answer someone else, there are Pier sets for the LSB so the Corps could put in a 54m bridge.

We could for a laugh do an NEB. You know cut down the trees, use the rubble for bastions, use the railway line for girders etc.

Plantlife would love to design that little baby.