Cultybraggan

The other camp located not too far away from Culty (Drip camp maybe?) was far better, went there when I was in the cadets in the early nineties and then went back in 97 when I was regular for Adventure drinking/training, both times it was fcucking freezing and I think both time were in August too!

Mag_to_grid said:
The other camp located not too far away from Culty (Drip camp maybe?) was far better, went there when I was in the cadets in the early nineties and then went back in 97 when I was regular for Adventure drinking/training, both times it was fcucking freezing and I think both time were in August too!
I have fond memories of Drip Camp... our UOTC was running its week of MTQ1 training over a frozen week one January, and they wanted the Pipes&Drums (See "OTC Skills & Drills" thread) to provide music for a parade at the end.

Anyway, the Nissen huts were absolutely full, so they put the P&D in the Officers' accommodation - Nissen huts divided into four, each with two beds and a gas fire that had the heat output of the average birthday cake candle. Beautifully insulated - they kept all of the heat of the day outside, so that it was nice and frozen at night. I had six blankets on the bed, was wearing my tracksuit inside it - and I was still freezing.

Two of our drummers turned up the night before the parade - both female - and it transpired that the last unoccupied bed on the whole camp was the other one in my billet. The female JUO trying to match people to bedspaces was heard to say "oh, just put them in with Gravelbelly, he's safe"....

...blow to a twenty-one-year-old's ego, that is... Mad, bad, and dangerous to know? Young, free, and single? Nope, safe. B*gger.

Anyway, one drummer got pissed and crashed out in another billet, and the other ended up sharing body heat (if you rock in at 3am to an unmade bed in a billet that's running at -5, it's understandably the easy option). And only body heat. Curse my stars for being "safe".

Was worth it next day when my mate dashed in to the room to wake us up, to find the fittest lass in the band in bed next to me... After that (depending on who you spoke to) I was either a lucky b*stard, or verifiably safer than the vaults of the Bank of England...

diehard57

War Hero
I'd almost forgot about Cultybraggen - it damn near scarred me for life!

I went there when as a cadet in 1972/73 ish. We were told it had been condemned and was due to be demolished when the Last King of Scotland (Idi Amin) kicked out the Ugandan Asians and some were housed there temporarily. This made the MOD/Home Office spend some money on it to make it habitable.

We were the first to use it after they had left and there was still a faint smell of curry in the main cookhouse. I remember being shown the the cell (then part of the armoury) that Hess was held in and also have fond memories the bogs and the flushing system of which you were advised to stand up as the bore wave passed your seat.

An adult instructor was caught having a w*nk in the showers in front of a couple of cadets and subsequently had the shit kicked out of him by the regulars of the Queen's Cadet Training Team that were with us

I also remember our OC getting us all to hold hands and then ordering the cadet at the end of the line to touch the wire of an electric fence up on the training area and pissing himself as the pulse current sent us about 3 feet in the air - cnut!

As our unit was from Tottenham we had a few lads that were West Indian (one of them being a certain Winston Silcott who we knew as Tony - but that's another story) when they walked down the main road in Comrie - the locals called the rest of their family out to look at 'the wee darkie bairns' - thanks for helping me to remember all this - priceless!

im sure i must have been on that same summer acf camp72 73,,,??
195 queens, acf,,northwest london.,,staines...
vivid memories of the whole unit going down with food poisoning for a week,, great time in a hut chucking up every min....
seem to remember 4rtr,,had a sarecen armoured car they were giving joy rides in,,,..was also told the bit about hess being locked up in the armoury,,,....rest is a blur,,,put me off scotland for ever....never been back...

I was in the Comrie area - househunting - just over a year ago, and naturally cast my mind back to those ancient CCF days at Cultybraggan - fun, but frequently cold, damp, and midgey - and always wildly uncomfortable.

On making local inquiries, it seemed the whole place was up for sale, and they appeared to think the site would be used for warehousing/factories/houses.

As events turned out, I didn't go to live in those airts, and now I can't seem to find out what, if anything, did happen to Culty. Anyone know?

Hess was held at Craigiehall, just outside Cramond, near Edinburgh. It was HQ Scotland (Army) when i served there and the old mansion was the Officers Mess.

BB51

Old-Salt
Spent many a weekend there with the ACF between 81-88, what a place.

Last I heard it was being considered as an immigrant camp - I hope this is not true.

caubeen
Culty is indeed up for sale the local community are / have been putting together a purchashing plan under the land reform act .
WW

wheelchairwarrier said:
caubeen
Culty is indeed up for sale the local community are / have been putting together a purchashing plan under the land reform act .
WW
Many thanks, WCW.

Sounds good - assuming the community have a good idea for a development. The place just looked incredibly sad, dreary and delapidated when I drove past it in early '06 - a foul, wet-snowy day and hard to find a soul on the streets to give me directions.

Thinking back to CCF days, the weather at Culty was never too clever . . .

Latest Threads