Cultybraggan Farmer has a go..... again!

Culty Farmer said:
So it is Easter and time for army cadets to come to Cultybraggan Cadet Training Camp. The farm surrounds the MOD camp. As in earlier years one has to wonder at the age of the school kids that attend. Some look younger than 12 years, while others cannot be older that twelve unless the MOD has gone in for nuturing children who are below the 90th percentile in body developement.

The first tiff with the camp this Easter weekend, when the farm has busy with spring work such as lambing, calving, sowing barley, putting on fertiliser, harrowing grass, putting out dung etc was to find one of the MOD's hired people carriers (used to ferry cadets a distance of some half a mile) parked across a field gate with little sign of any consideration for the farm. A poor example to impressionable school kids.

Much more serious, that same afternoon, while I was working in one of the farm fields next to the MOD's mini firing range, I was surprised to see youngsters - some of whom appeared to be not even 12 years old - firing rifles that looked like 12 bore. The kids - one at a time - were firing from a small hillock downwards towards me but fortunately just a few degrees off my direction.

I could hear the sound of the gun shoot landing in the grass close by. The MOD had a red flag just at the march of my field and their firing range. It was obvious that a person or persons were working in the farm field because my quad bike was parked in full view of the group of cadets and presumably also of their instructor.

Since this practice of school kids banging away with obviously live ammunition continued under the apparent supervision of an instructor who never once seemed to look my way, I took my quad bike up to see him and to enquire as to what he was doing.

Neither the instructor nor the cadets were in uniform. I verified with the instructor that the kids under his supervision were firing live ammunition, not blanks. He said twelve bore rifles were being used and that he had not seen me. He appeared to have little concern for my safety and to resent the interruption and my suggestion that he did not look.

I therefore went to the camp and asked to speak to the officer in charge. The person on guard duty once again looked decidedly less than 14 years old and more like 12 or even 11 years. I spoke to an adult in uniform who informed me that the officer in charge was away somewhere. I related my concern. He told me that the age of the cadets ranged from 12 to 16 years.

Later the Major responsible for the camp that Saturday afternoon phoned me to say that the cadets - according to him all of whom were 14 years or over - were acting under constant supervision and according to army safety rules. That there was no need for the camp to inform the neighbouring farm that they were going to use live ammunition. He said the cadets were clay pigeon shooting.

If it was clay pigeon shooting it is the strangest form I have witnessed, shooting downhill and no clay pigeon in sight. The instructor did not seem the slightest concerned that the shot was landing just a few yards from my person, although I was outside the red warning flag. A nervous youngster struggling with this man-sized twelve bore with a crack and a kick to go with it, would only need to swing the gun a few degrees to his/her right for me to get a shower of shot.

My impression was one of surprise and some dismay that the MOD should be introducing firearms with live ammunition to 12 year olds as some sort of macho image to attract kids to join the army. My further concern was the lack of regard for the safety of those who work on the farm that neighbours with them. As a holder of a gun licence myself I would expect to loose my licence (and possibly worse) if I was to behave so irresponsibly. Why should the MOD be allowed to get away with this, especially with kids entrusted to their care?

Gun control for the rest of us rightly gets tighter and tighter. We are also repeatedly told that good education of the young as to how to behave in the countryside is of paramount importance. Perhaps it is the educators and their supervisors who need educating.
But does it stop here..... ? No!

He's also posted the following articles:

http://www.land-care.org.uk/environ...004/cadetes_guns_15_04/cadets_guns_15_04.html
Local newspaper takes up Land-Care's concerns over proper control of army cadets with guns.
http://www.land-care.org.uk/environ...il2004/cor_cadets_18_04/cor_cadets_18_04.html
Correction re: MoD cadets at Cultybraggan

Makes you think why someone who is hardly enamoured with the MoD / Army would by a farm right next to a training camp / area.

Any other views... ?

Having been to the camp a few years ago, as an assistant attatched to an ACF, i have to say that we had problems with the farm around the camp too. The result of which was that the ACF was forced to transport entire Coys of cadets and staff across to Barry Budden Ranges in order to fire, and to exercise.

This became a logistical nightmare as foot and mouth precautions were still in place, resulting in every person/vehicle having to de-comtaminate at both ends.

This farmer has clearly not changed his attitude in years, and seems resigned to whinging to the MOD every time someone uses the Cultybraggan camp.

It seems that the only way to resolve the issue is for the MOD to close the camp to cadets and deprive cadets of the opportunity to go away for a couple of weeks a year. This is clearly unfair to the cadets, but there doesn't seem to be any other way to appease the farmer.

Ah but you see we dont understand their country ways.
Besides he's probably worryied about where his next 4x4 is coming from and therefore entitled to be a bit grumpy......

Iamagoldfish said:
It seems that the only way to resolve the issue is for the MOD to close the camp to cadets and deprive cadets of the opportunity to go away for a couple of weeks a year. This is clearly unfair to the cadets, but there doesn't seem to be any other way to appease the farmer.
How about launching Operation Tony Martin? Simply persuade 2 cadets to pretend to be scallies and rob the said farmer's house (or nick one of his spare Range Rovers). He shoots them with a shotgun and is subsequently banged up for a 10 year stretch? You can all then stamp about on his land as much as you like. Plus you'd have 2 spare sets of uniform (allbeit slightly damaged) for new recruits.

Couldn't be simpler!

just do as one of my cadet officers did :p
when my mother complained should children be learning how to use shotguns. He cheerfully replied don't worry its not a real shotgun.
mother relaxed. he carrired on cheerfully its a real machinegun :twisted:

Well, there really was an Op. BARRAS...so why not FRED BARRAS II? Send a brick of them to close target recce his hovel - with orders to return fire if engaged. Either he shuts up, or it's one less pig-ignorant hillbilly. All is good!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Nutstrangler - you took the words right out of my mouth !

This James Irvine character seems to enjoy being a mouthpiece, as some of his other articles show, but his drivel ends up making him look like a ringpiece.

Probably some local kid or perhaps even a cadet has cheeked him at some time and instead of having the backbone to sort it out there and then he's minced off to his office to write a 'strong letter to the Times !'

'Doctor' James Irvine spends far too much time with his head wedged firmly between his buttocks pontificating on all he can see. Time that would be more wisely spent in getting his facts straight, or at least checking every shotgun barrel in the country to find out how many are rifled.

Aaaarrrghh !!
Sorry about the rant but pompous cretins like him make me reach for my chainsaw.

Gotta stop taking them seriously......

Latest Threads