cultybraggan comrie ex army camp

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by chriswar, Oct 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Our commmunity has recently purchased cultybraggan army camp. One of the interests expressed by the community is an outdoor pursuits centre. We are looking at partnerships with the local council outdoor sports development officer, SRU and SWRU. At the initial discussions for the community buyout there was talk of the armed forces using and helping with any planned outdoor facilities.
    Does anyone have contact details for someone or a department who could help me further these discussions?
    As a community we have personal reasons for trying to involve the armed forces. We would like to have some form of memorial for a local boy who reached the rank of sergeant in 1 Para, left the forces for close protection work where sadly a year later he was killed in Iraq.
    He was a very fit, athletic man who when he was home on leave would beast and inspire the local rugby club under 18 boys.
  2. I remember Cultybraggan as a CCF cadet in the 60's. It was a wonderful place and, I believe, a wartime POW camp where hard-line Nazis were held. It was also one of the few camps from which inmates ever made a successful escape.
  3. I spoke to this chap earlier today on the phone and pointed him to this site in the hope that someone can point him in the right direction. We're trying a couple of other contacts but I reckon someone on here maybe able to help.
  4. msr

msr LE

5. Maybe try your local ACF detachment?

At the least, they should be able to give you the contact details of the area commander.
  6. A very laudable aim, but could I please clarify that while it would be wonderful to have the armed forces help you out, they cannot be seen as a source of cheap labour. Defence gets a lot of requests for the armed forces to help with various projects, and while we do what we can to assist, too often people see the army turning up as a means of not having to pay local builders to do the job for them.

As a rule, the military will be able to help you if you have a task which would provide real training value or offer something tangible. Otherwise its unlikely they could officially help, as to do so would deny local firms business.

I'd suggest you have a good think about what you would like the armed forces to provide, then scope your request accordingly - happy to offer advice via PM if required.

Try looking online for the doctrine manual JDP2-02 (Defence Contribution to Resilence) - this sets out what the armed forces can and cannot do to help you in your mission.
  7. When I spoke to him earlier Jim I think they just wanted the Army to help out doing activities with the kids etc and not for building/renovations. I'm sure the poster will clarify.
  8. Contact nearest OTC? Plenty of young, enthusiastic types who may be able to assist there.
  9. Chris,

I believe that HQ 51 Bde in Stirling may be interested in discussing areas of common interest. 51 Brigade is the HQ that covers all Army activity in Scotland and Cultybraggan has been mentioned in a number of youth/leadership training type conversations.

PM me your phone number or email and I'll put you in touch with the right folk.

- We probably have mutual friends in the community development world -
  10. ....and reply there came none....

There is no answer on the contact numbers for the Comrie Development Trust either.... and according to the list of Board members at least one should have very good contacts within MOD.

11. Thanks for your comments, intention was not for a cheap labour source but to see if some form of sporting/outdoor partnership can be ventured into between the community and armed forces to have the facilities and instructors available to both. Friends of mine in the armed forces thought this would be a great opportunity and I wanted to see if there was any way in which it could become a reality.
  12. No, no, no......the Nissan huts, the cold, the wet...wild horses wouldn't drag me back!!!!

Will there be free beer........?
  13. Are you looking at using CLD in a partnership project? If so ill ask around if you want
  14. I was introduced to the delights of the Haggis Supper whilst at Cultibraggan on Annual ACF Camp 1973ish ............ and the delights of the local Scottish girls.