Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Cultural Marxism, the Neo Right, and threats to Western Democracy

Yokel

LE
Typing 'Cultural Marxism' into any search engine produces scores of articles and papers, as well as articles claiming it is a conspiracy created by the political right. The thing is many of these articles are too far to the right for me to be entirely comfortable with them. I also find it hard to believe that there is a deliberate force orchestrating the weakening of Western values, despite having expressed my own concerns on a number of threads about things such as:

- Replacing absolute standards or the more liberal 'no harm no foul' with 'do whatever you can get away with'
- The weakening of the sense of identity of the nation state
- Weakening the family's role in society - and yes I would include unmarried and same sex couples as families
- Demonising traditions
- Replacing legal concepts such as presumption of innocence and right of reply with trial by social media/old media
- Putting emphasis on competing groups within society instead of individuals or society as a whole

I also struggle with the concept of what is meant by the 'West'. Some think it is Western Europe, North America, and the Antipodes. Whilst these are all Western this definition excludes non white or non Christian nations. What about Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Turkey, or any number of Latin American or African states? What makes the West the West? What values count? My quick list includes things like:

- The sovereignty of the individual
- The rule of law
- Separation of political and judicial powers
- Free speech
- Freedom of belief
- Democracy

So is cultural Marxism real, or is it just the unfortunate co-existence of a number of sociopolitical tensions?

Last edited:
- The rule of law
- Free speech
- Freedom of belief
- Democracy

So is cultural Marxism real, or is it just the unfortunate co-existence of a number of sociopolitical tensions?

You nailed the first bit, let's see in bold how the west is fairing

- The sovereignty of the individual - groupthink, and de-platforming
- The rule of law - expanding and biased
- Separation of political and judicial powers - political correctness
- Free speech - hate speech and suppression
- Freedom of belief - ridicule and demonization
- Democracy - ignorance, and bullying

It's real and going to get ugly.
The long march through the institutions has sown the wind, and it will reap the whirlwind.

According to the "Urban dictionary" cultural marxism includes:

- Political Correctness.
- Privilege.
- Third-Wave Feminism.
- Anti-Capitalism.
- Anti-Islamophobia.
- Identity Politics.

We've seen the rise of the political correctness for many years, the privilege and third wave feminism have risen significantly in recent times but would appear to be aimed at "i haven't got what I want therefore it's your fault", anti-capitalism was always seen by me as what the anti-nuclear protestors went to after the wall came down and they didn't have anything to protest about, anti-islamaphobia is seen as the reason a lot of people comment that certain strongly held religeous beliefs appear to be at odds with "western" civilisation, and identify politics is wrapped up in the privilege / third wave feminism wave.

Go onto youtube, search for the likes of Jordan Peterson, sit back and listen to a very clear description of the evils of neo-marxism and post modernism. Cultural marxism is hidden in there as well.

What makes the West the West? What values count? My quick list includes things like:

- The rule of law
- Free speech
- Freedom of belief
- Democracy

A more salient characteristic of what makes the West the West is that all of the cited examples above can and have been periodically suspended when it suited the 'national interest (NI Troubles is but one example) and that is before we begin to examine each point in detail (Democracy could keep us busy for a while).

Such is the contradiction within the 'western value system, it makes it inherently exposed to the selective assaults of just about neo anything. Recognition that imperfection is a normative humanoid condition regardless of idealogical base and the political philosophers shall (have) an infinite playing field. Post plato, neo-argumentus....bring it on....unless you have something better to do, e.g., arrseretti blogus infinitium.

'Follow me and I can make things better' - Cultural Marxism is just another attempt by authoritarians of the left to introduce some pied piper like ideology. First it was all power to the soviets, now its the individual colloborating.. The language is designed to appeal to a childs imaginations and casting them into the role of champions and leaders, feeding their egos and making them impervious to alternatives is one way to make a society that much more easily controlled.

Interestingly the theory has been adopted by the gig economy and the multinationals as well. Control again is the word and the money men see some advantages in the theories, which makes it much harder to oppose what they desire. So we have the old left intelligensia in the same camp as the new economy and that explains why its a theory so hard to oppose.

EE

You make a good point - the short sighted profit seekers and vote chasing politicians have done there fair share of damage to society - consider the thread of the current explosion of problem gambling.

The 'me me me' school of thought and the cult of instant gratification have done society no favours either.

See also my threads about Integrity and Identity Politics. Whilst the latter could be said to be related to Marxist ideas about power and identity, the former is more to do with expediency as what can be got away with.

This Google search shows I have expressed concerns on multiple threads.

Can the West be saved? Do we start by defining our values?

Last edited:
Do we start by defining our values?

Yes.

Freedom of Speech.

We have already started the very slippery slope into Totalitarianism by restricting this crucial part of a fair and open society. For any other value to be defined in society, FoS must be a social fiat.
When you cannot challenge other voices because they are silenced, When you end being unable to challenge the voices of authority, The tipping point is upon us, dissent will fester and boil over into violence.

FoS is absolutely crucial.
We can ignore history at our peril, The future will judge our actions.

According to the "Urban dictionary" cultural marxism includes:

- Political Correctness.
- Privilege.
- Third-Wave Feminism.
- Anti-Capitalism.
- Anti-Islamophobia.
- Identity Politics.

We've seen the rise of the political correctness for many years, the privilege and third wave feminism have risen significantly in recent times but would appear to be aimed at "i haven't got what I want therefore it's your fault", anti-capitalism was always seen by me as what the anti-nuclear protestors went to after the wall came down and they didn't have anything to protest about, anti-islamaphobia is seen as the reason a lot of people comment that certain strongly held religeous beliefs appear to be at odds with "western" civilisation, and identify politics is wrapped up in the privilege / third wave feminism wave.

Go onto youtube, search for the likes of Jordan Peterson, sit back and listen to a very clear description of the evils of neo-marxism and post modernism. Cultural marxism is hidden in there as well.

The problem is grievance and identity politics, and the justice of the mob, overriding the three characteristics that have enabled the ascent of the West and Western ideas. I do not think the West is defined by geography, history, skin colour, or religion.

The characteristics are representative democracy, the rule of law, and separation of powers between the executive and the judiciary.

Last edited:
Organised conspiracy? No.

An organic cultural movement that is slowly pushing Post Modernist theory into every aspect of western life? Oh yeah.

That’s good stuff, but hardly new as the “Sokal affair” was almost 25 years ago. So academia has done little to clean up this mess since at least the 1990s, in fact it has almost certainly gotten worse. Sokal affair - Wikipedia

Dicky Tickler is also correct above that Jordan Peterson is probably the most prominent spokesman against the rise of post-modernism in the universities today, but there are other thinkers and academics who have taken a stand. The neurobiologist Sam Harris often addresses this issue on his podcast and he is a famously left-leaning atheist (he has been talking about issues like this at length with Peterson as well).

Last edited:
I do like how the one prof said that they "rewrote a section of Mein Kampf as intersectional feminism" and wound up getting it published.
If you dig about a bit you will find that it was in fact three learned professors who basically had a bet they could get papers published under the banner of the humanities that were complete nonsense. If you have the time (two hours) sit back and listen to the following:

That’s good stuff, but hardly new as the “Sokal affair” was almost 25 years ago. So academia has done little to clean up this mess since at least the 1990s, in fact it has almost certainly gotten worse. Sokal affair - Wikipedia

Dicky Tickler is also correct above that Jordan Peterson is probably the most prominent spokesman against the rise of post-modernism in the universities today, but there are other thinkers and academics who have taken a stand. The neurobiologist Sam Harris often addresses this issue on his podcast and he is a famously left-leaning atheist (he has been talking about issues like this at length with Peterson as well).

The Sokal hoax pretty much echoes what the science must fall fuckwits in SA are bleating about. Difference is that they take it seriously and actually believe that feelings trump science (mainly because their brains hurt when they try to think).