Cultural interests are fair at best, & plan exs

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by mattmaily2k, Jul 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

Just a brief history on me. I am a secondary school teacher who is trying to get into the ETS. I consider myself well travelled and take part in sports such as tae kwon do, football, squash and running. I am 24 now but will be taking the AOSB for the second time probably early next year.

I failed my first AOSB due to a pretty rubbish planning exercise, and although I completed my command task, it wasn't the best. Obviously I will concentrate on those areas, but my form also said that my cultural interests are "fair at best". As it is the summer holidays for me I was wondering what advice people can give me on activities to do to enhance my cultural interests. I can't seem to think of anything that you can do regularly or weekly that is not sports related. Any ideas would be useful. I have been to museums etc but I feel it will be silly just listing museums I have been to on my latest board cv. I think it would be better for a weekly society or other activities etc.

Secondly, has anybody got any plan exs that can be put on this or mailed to me. I know this usually provokes a negative response asking for them, however, I have mailed the people in earlier posts about getting some and have only had 1 response since April. I even bought a book on amazon, but I can only say these were not very useful - quite flawed actually.

Any ideas on cultural activity, plan exs and command task tips would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks,

Matt

2. Initiative = Fail. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to come up with some suggestions- see a play/go to a museuem/go to the cinema/go to a concert/go to an art gallery/read a book/read a periodical. Maybe they expect a current teacher intending to join the ETS to be taking a more active interest in these things than other people.

3. I actually did all that before I went. Maybe I didn't highlight this enough. I was wondering if there is anything that I can do consistently every week. As I said, I don't want to just list all the places I have been and things I have done as that would look ridiculous. My ACA said I was very active on the sport side, but need to do things off the pitch as well. The thing with sports is that you play every few days-weeks. Is there any cultural experiences or clubs that would appeal that you can do week in, week out? I have visited a lot of the museums in my local area but going again would serve no benefit! One suggestion I have heard is joining a drama club, but that really isn't me!

Matt

4. Do you read? That's always a healthy place to start.

Maybe even look at writing too. Do you do that?

5. I assumed that all potential officers need to read in the first place.
    I will add a bit more info then as I can see I haven't given enough in the first place.

Books = mainly autobiographies, ie. Richard Dannett, Mike Jackson and others
    Museums = several in Britain, but looking to go to Oxford and London to go to some of the more famous ones. Been to a few in Berlin, Amsterdam, New York, Wales
    Art = yet again, been to some in Amsterdam, New York, some good ones in Barcelona and Greece
    Theatre = London, my local one, Amsterdam, Stratford

Matt

6. Without presuming to know anything about what's being looked for at AOSB, when somebody comes to me and says "How do I give the impression of being cultured" the alarm bells immediately start ringing.

Culture is helpfully defined:

"the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc."

I would guess from this definition, picking up hobbies for the sake of it or visiting museums in check-list fashion doesn't equate to being cultured.

Operative word seems to me to be "concern". Do you actually care about any of the subject matter you're looking at? What cultural interests do you actually have (don't say "going to museums" as you sound like a downer)?

If you know your subject matter and are well versed on it this will come across in any interview which probes for these qualities.

Just my two pence.

7. Matt,

I am no expert on the matter but perhaps something such as NADFAS would be a good start. On my application I listed travelling, reading, music and others down in the cultural section and it went well for me.

FR

8. Well, my main academic area is psychology which I really enjoy. That's why I went on to teach it and got a masters in it. I love travelling and visiting new places that are unique. I am not much of an art,music or museum bottom but have really enjoyed the major collections, such as Dali due to him being so surreal. I do take an interest in the world affairs and subscribe to time magazine and the independent - I actually enjoyed the current affairs discussion!

Also, thanks for that suggestion on that charity - that's really useful. Am definitely going to look into that!

Matt

9. As for planning ex mate, somebody on the site had a link to a site with a bugger load of them on. Do a quick search as I cbf finding it for you, but there's certainly something here for that :D

10. Hi,

I think the link is that old that they aren't working anymore. Have managed to get one or two but that's it.

Matt