Cultural immunity; not a valid defence

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Lucky_Jim, Nov 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

A well thought out article.

2. A very thought provoking piece of writing,cetainly makes you realise how much we take for granted in the western world,perhaps Cpl Mates should be made aware of the article also.
    Good find Lucky

3. If you find yourself with time on your hands, reading Jant Albrechtsen's back catalogue will provoke your thought processes. I caught myself nodding in agreement more than once, especially when reading this article and her piece about there being too much legislation and not enough risk. Another thread perhaps, in a day or two.

4. It reminds me of the story of when James Brown's missus was picked up by the rozzers for something or other and she tried to claim diplomatic immunity because her husband was "The Official Ambassador of Soul".

5. Germain Greer is an arrsehole. She has nothing to say that is of any value.

6. Saw some of that Grumpy Old Women...what who said that? On which Greer said she was glad the pop culture got 12 year old girls dressing like slags.

7. So we're agreed about Germaine Greer then. Good. But I think the article was making the point that we (that is, all nations) would do well to concentrate on our core values, whatever they are, and stop making so much allowance for law-breakers on the grounds of culture. A crime is a crime is a crime, no matter whether or not it's permitted elsewhere or whether the penalties differ from one country to another.

For example there is a man in Singapore currently facing execution for drug smuggling. He was caught red-handed, so there's no question as to his guilt. People are lobbying for the sentence to be commuted because the death sentence doesn't apply in his home country (Australia). For me that's not the point. Singapore's policy is well known world wide, even more so in Aus, and he knowingly went there and then tried to leave with drugs strapped to his torso. Whatever you think of capital punishment it's no defence to argue cultural differences.