Cult Films of the late 70s and early 80s

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Rudie, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Quadrophenia

2. McVicar

3. The Wanderers

4. The Warriors

5. Scum

6. The Exterminator

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My younger brother and his mates were round at my house for a bevie the other night, I'm almost 39, and they are all early to mid 20's.
    We got talking about movies,and I was suprised to hear that hardly any of them had heard of the films that were such an integral part of my youth. Fair enough most of them had seen Quradrophenia,but they didn't rate it that much. Only one of them had heard of The Warriors, but they had all played the game on the psp or Xbox.
    Maybe I'm just an old nostalgic t wat,but I think EVERYONE should be made to watch these films at least twice!
  2. I think you might be missing a few, but it depends on what you term as cult. Based on your 'much what at least twice' I would add

“It's 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses!....................HIT IT!!!”

“There can be only one”

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

‘I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?’

‘Touch-a touch-a touch-a touch me / I wanna be dirty! Chill me, thrill me, fulfill me / Creature of the night’
  3. The list could go on and on two I would add
    Anlmal House and Chiorboys.
  4. It has to be McVicar, an excellent film!

Why is "Chopper" not on that list? Or Romper Stomper?? Or "Once were Warriors", or Bladerunner?
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Debbie does Dallas.
  6. "You're gonna need a bigger boat"
  7. Mc Vicar gets my vote.

"I want my fucking trainers!"
  8. The clue is in the question,and it's my poll.
  9. Bladerunner was 82
  10. Can you count SUCKAS!
    Guess what i voted for Edit. Assault on precinct 13 deserves a mention too
  11. The Long Good Friday

12. I know I'm missing loads of films, but these were the films that almost all the lads my age seemed to watch again and again in the early 80's.
    I don't recall lads coming into school discussing Bladerunner, but I do recall everyone talking about Leslie Ash getting humped in an alley in Quadrophenia,grasses getting smashed over the heads with a sock full of snooker balls in Scum,Gangsters getting fed into mincers in The Exterminator and Cockney criminals screaming "Hang 'im,hang 'im,hang 'im!" at child killers in McVicar.
  13. Fair point :)
  14. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The original 'Assault on Precinct 13' was a superb film, even if it was a remake (of sorts) of Rio Bravo. The fact that it was all done so quietly and low key made it all the more effective.