Cuir and Dewitie

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Red69, Mar 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi
    Could anyone tell me what the motto for the 205 (Scottish) Field Hospital (Volunteers) means - it's Cuir and Dewitie.
    I'd be really grateful if you could help
    Thanks!!!

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The Unit motto is 'Cuir and Dewitie', taken from the exhortation by Mary, Queen of Scots to her surgeons before the Battle of Langside in 1568, "to do their 'Cuir and Dewitie', to the wounded of both sides this day". The 'medical' desert rat emblem dates from the Unit deployment on the first Gulf War in 1991.

Googled and got the MOD site from which this came, old Lowland Scots.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/ArmyMedicsReceiveIraqMedals.htm

3. Oh, why not.....

The Unit motto is 'Cuir and Dewitie', taken from the exhortation by Mary, Queen of Scots to her surgeons before the Battle of Langside in 1568, "to do their 'Cuir and Dewitie', to the wounded of both sides this day". The 'medical' desert rat emblem dates from the Unit deployment on the first Gulf War in 1991.

from

www.mod.uk/DefenceInte...Medals.htm

Anyone else? :wink:

4. Nawh, you failed to post it at the right time (11am) and your link didn't work. Plus you missed off a pic of this Capt

Attached Files:

5. Thanks! - I saw that bit online... but it doesn't say what the translation actually means. Can anyone help with that?

6. Isn't it Englisch for: Care and Duty???

7. did they have a W in the 16th century?

8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Cure? and Duty

9. yeah my guess was care and duty as well!
    Thanks

10. Care and Duty, just the way they used to write "a"s back in the day

11. THANKS!!!!!!!!!

12. If its any consolation, we got our own back for her poor elocution, by whacking her in the swede with an axe before chopping her head off properly.
    Harsh but ultimately, fair.

13. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Say Care and Duty with a strong scottish accent a la Taggart. Theres your answer....

14. Queer and dirty?