• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Cuddles holiday of joy

The Fenian Bride just popped in whilst I was perusing a back catalogue of ARRSE humour on bums, farts et cetera to demand a final co-ord conference on our upcoming holiday operations in Belgium/N.France.

She was most insistent that we made a bee-line from Dunkirk, after viewing the evacuation beaches et cetera, to Bruges for beer and moules. We then have to head for Waterloo, Ieper and then scurry to Mons. After our weekend with Cuddles soeur and her fish head hubby at SHAPE (Super Holidays at Public Expense), she faced me with a question "Is it down to the Somme or back over to Ieper and then through Arras?"

She added a few tour-guide type comments on the availability of various beers by region of Belgium, suggested we go to the pub after bedding down the Fenianette, rubbed my neck in a nice way and went off to put the Fenianette into PJs.

Two questions I have for you...

a)am I dead and this is heaven?

b)Battle of Arras and withdrawal to Dunkirk or second bite at the Ieper cherry?

Top tips for hostelries or child-friendly chambre d'hotes/B&B welcome too...
Yours aye
The luckiest man in NATO

That does sound a damned sweet deal.

Have yet to go on a battlefield yomp (My virgin one is scheduled for next jan), so I can't offer advice, but I would like to congratulate you on scoring a good 500 man points for landing that one.

My mate tells me that this weekend at SHAPE is usually the fun for all fest, all the nations get together and a beer wagon is in situ.

he says for you to tell them to take you to the Brit bar to finish the night off.

Sparky

You lucky thing Cuddles, that sounds great. I've been promising myself to go on a battlefield tour for ages.

Here is a link for a B&B that I lifted from the Green Howards website under their Battlefield Tours, it's child-friendly too (bonus!):

http://www.woodside.be/english.html

Please, please tell us all about it when you get back. Thanks.

Ice

(PS. Chalky please post about yours next year too)

Cuddles I went a few years back for a bottle field.. sorry battle field tour. Can highly recommend the usual pegaus bridge , the beaches e.t.c. But there was one fortification I went to in either Dunkirk or normandy, it was an old church/castle that had been converted into a fort by the fuzzy wuzzys, painted white, perhaps other arrsers can identfy it. It was quite near the beach (obviously) but accessed through the suburbs and was painted white. One of the intresting things about it was the way in which the nazis had MG42's positioned up corridors.

Also to reccomend are the monument at breville, quite a simple affair considering what happened that day and also The Merville Battery.

My tour mainly concentrated on the normandy area, am not really sure if this is where your going, but where ever it is enjoy and get lots of pics into the coppermine.

Take some time to stop in Poperinghe, the town has nothing other than pubs/restaurants (all other shops turned into bars in WW1)

hmmm .. moules et frites

From a personal view, I'd take the route of my Regiment in it's fighting retreat back to Dunkirk.

But the rest of it sounds perfect Cuddles, where the hell do you meet a woman like that? :D

PartTimePongo said:
From a personal view, I'd take the route of my Regiment in it's fighting retreat back to Dunkirk.
PTP, I know your TA, what do you mean by regiment? Do you mean RRF or do you mean (sub) units of 48 (South Midland) Div.

What I mean is (I may sound barking), I don't have regimental loyality in the normal sense, every unit I've been in has been 49/'Polar' at one stage. It also seems most my ancestors have done the same (through Sherwood Foresters, Arty, Engs, WFR and Sigs).

p.s. my 3649 post, I've been watching lost for far to long

p.p.s 36 have just taken on the 49 mantle ....... now sitting at PC in tin foil hat

Polar beat me to it with Poperinge, the central (only?) square is really nice and chock full of pubs.
bring us back a bottle, Cuddles, i'll pay you back, honest.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Cuddles said:
The Fenian Bride just popped in whilst I was perusing a back catalogue of ARRSE humour on bums, farts et cetera to demand a final co-ord conference on our upcoming holiday operations in Belgium/N.France.

She was most insistent that we made a bee-line from Dunkirk, after viewing the evacuation beaches et cetera, to Bruges for beer and moules. We then have to head for Waterloo, Ieper and then scurry to Mons. After our weekend with Cuddles soeur and her fish head hubby at SHAPE (Super Holidays at Public Expense), she faced me with a question "Is it down to the Somme or back over to Ieper and then through Arras?"

She added a few tour-guide type comments on the availability of various beers by region of Belgium, suggested we go to the pub after bedding down the Fenianette, rubbed my neck in a nice way and went off to put the Fenianette into PJs.

Two questions I have for you...

a)am I dead and this is heaven?

b)Battle of Arras and withdrawal to Dunkirk or second bite at the Ieper cherry?

Top tips for hostelries or child-friendly chambre d'hotes/B&B welcome too...
Yours aye
The luckiest man in NATO
I seem to recall that you have not been of such fulsome praise of your Bride of a brotherhood persuasion (starts with an F) in previous posts. Now that 'she who must be obeyed' (TY JM for that) wants to do what you also would like your are asking Arrsers whether to go and in what order.

Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW - what is her username?

Feck, I was talking to a bird here about military history (tried to do it through movies) and she got Saving Private Ryan confused with Jarhead. You truly are a lucky b@stard.

Cuddles,

Both Ypres and Arras to Dunkirk have their good points.

There is a LOT to see at Ypres. If you have been once and seen the highlights you may not have visited all the other things there. I visit the place regularly and learn something new each time.

The Fall of France tour includes some interestign place. Arras is interesting and you start at Vimy Ridge. Esqelbeq near Woumhouldt is the site of the SS massacxre of Warwicks and gunners and another at Le Paradis, not far from the Great War battlefields of Bethune and Neuve Chappelle.

The Arras - La Bassee region isn't that touristy but you can find ordinary cafe's that do decent grub.

However, there is a gem on thew 1940 battlefield. Cassel is a hill top town stuffed full of restaurants and cafes overlooking the Flanders plain. Its best known as a Gloucester battlefield of 1940 -but its a gunner battler field as well - Hondegem as in K Hondeghem battery is a real epic gunner story.

If you are going to Waterloo try the restaurant/ bar Velo in the village square at Placenoit. There are some horrible bars and cafes around the Lion Mound. Avoid them. Go to the Prussian battlefield for a good meal. Its not signposted. March for the church tower!

I would avoid Bruges. Parking is hopeless and policed by traffic gestapo. Its over run by gullible tourists that bring out the inner rapaciousness of the townsfolk. ;) My recent experience of food there is that its over priced and poor value. Go to Ypres for a decent meal. My family had a very good moule Frites in Den Anker a couple fo weeks ago and any of the other Ypres town square restaurants do Moule Frites far better for less money than in Bruge.

Accommodation - try the Oude Abiij at Lo- Reinigen. Fairly cheap accommodation attached to a bar designed to be British Army friendly. (one of the owners is an ex TA Para Lt Col) Its heavily used by the battlefield tour groups and you can find the odd veteran and even Arrse member. I don't know where you would find B & B accommodation around Arras, though the French chain hotel's aren't bad. I stayed in a campanile and it was OK.

Hope the holiday is fun.

Well we are back. We had a lovely long weekend and the Fenianette was good in the cemetaries and the Fenian Bride was good when I bought sixty different beers and a new 20 Gb MP3 player!

We stayed with my big siss and her hubby, The Commander in one of the SHAPE patches. Imagine my surprise to discover almost on the corner of their road the spot where the first British shots were fired in WW1! Billy bonus no1. Billy bonus no2 was Ypres - where should I start? Huge steak for pittance money? Getting lashed up with a nice ex-RAF Reg guy (so drunk we compared Gulf War stories without realising for about two hours he was talking Telic and I was talking Granby!)? Seing the RBL Riders chapter lay wreath at Menin Gate? Watching - and photographing huge firework display over the Cloth Hall at midnight? Finding the new Novotel, feet from Old Bill's pub?

Sadly TFB ran out of hankies after Pte Condon's grave and got very emotional in Tyne Cot when she found a umpteenth cousin, x times removed her mum suggested she should look out for! Cheered up after several Hommelbiers though...even let me lash the night away with new rockape pal and drove home too!

Joy -joy - joy!

Latest Threads