Cuba - fly drive.........

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by smudge67er, Jul 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone done a fly/drive round Cuba? I'm going next year. Here's the itineray. Advice welcome.

Depart UK to Havana on Virgin Atlantic. Meet and greet on arrival and private transfer to your Havana Hotel. Overnight accommodation at Hotel Sevilla on B&B basis.

2 HAVANA: full day free at leisure. Overnight accommodation at Hotel Sevilla on BB basis.

3 HAVANA - SANTA CLARA: after breakfast, pick up your car at car rental office located just outside hotel Sevilla. Drive to Santa Clara ( 305KMS) and afternoon free at leisure to explore this authentic Cuban town, resting place of CHE GUEVARA. Overnight accommodation at La Granjita hotel on BB basis.

4 SANTA CLARA - CIENFUEGOS: after breakfast, drive to Cienfuegos (78kms), a historic town also known as Pearl of The South. Afternoon free at leisure. Overnight accommodation at Union Hotel on BB basis.

5 CIENFUEGOS - TRINIDAD: after breakfast, drive towards Trinidad (85kms), a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Afternoon free at leisure. Overnight accommodation in a beach bungalow at Costa Sur Beach Resort on All Inclusive basis.

6 TRINIDAD: full day free at leisure to relax and enjoy the beautiful beaches of Trinidad and what this charming place has to offer. Overnight accommodation in a beach bungalow at Costa Sur Beach Resort on All Inclusive basis.

7 TRINIDAD-CAMAGUEY: after breakfast, drive towards Camaguey (273kms) and enjoy the scenic landscape on this off-the-beaten track self drive itinerary. Overnight accommodation at Gran Hotel Camaguey on BB basis.

8 CAMAGUEY - SANTIAGO DE CUBA: after brekfast, drive to Santiago de Cuba (347kms) where you will be dropping your car at your hotel. Overnight accommodation at Melia Santiago on BB basis.

9 SANTIAGO DE CUBA: full day free to explore what Santiago de Cuba has to offer. Santiago is the second biggest city in Cuba. Overnight accommodation at Melia Santiago on BB basis.

10 SANTIAGO DE CUBA-BARACOA: after breakfast, private transfer to Baracoa (250kms) known by many as THE BEST PLACE TO VISIT IN CUBA! Overnight accommodation at El Castillo Hotel on BB basis.

11 BARACOA: full day at leisure to enjoy the best of Baracoa. Overnight accommodation at El Castillo Hotel on BB basis.

12 BARACOA-HAVANA: morning free at leisure. Private transfer to Baracoa airport for your early afternoon direct flight from Baracoa to Havana (2hour duration). On arrival in Havana, private transfer to Hotel Sevilla. Overnight accommodation at Hotel Sevilla on BB basis.

13 - 14 HAVANA: 2 full days free at leisure. Overnight accommodation at Hotel Sevilla on BB basis.

15 HAVANA - UK: morning free at leisure. Afternoon private transfer back to Havana Airport. End of itinerary
  2. Smudger,

Cuba is excellent - great people, beautiful scenery and some really interesting sights but a word of warning if you are doing a fly-drive - navigation is hideous!!

We did a fly drive trip around Cuba back in 2006 and the mapping was non-existant, as were the road signs! There was a road sign outside the airport reading 'Havana' and that was about it!!

That said, it was still an excellent trip.
  3. Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure I'll get to wherever I'm supposed to be, eventually :)
  4. What he said - The other thing I'd advise is plan your route, do your research and don't deviate without taking advice from a trusted local. It's not great having to consider paying off a few locals who block you in a side street and start posturing to empty your pockets for you. That was 2007 and only a bit of diplomacy and broken biscuits spanish stopped me getting a good hiding I reckon.
  5. Other than that though it's one of the nicest places I can ever recall being for views, beaches and touristy stuff.
  6. Are you going alone / with buddies? Cuba is outright excellent for mongering. While the Italians have spoilt it somewhat, it is still better than almost anywhere else, short of perhaps Thailand. I am told..

If you are taking Mrs. Smudger, oh well; at least you'll be able to take out your frustration on her, occasionally. PM me for more detailed advice, I'll put you in touch with my mate.
  7. I'm going with a mate. So advice welcome.

Mrs Smudger??? I don't do "Mrs Smudgers" :) Despite a duty rumour I heard the other day, that I'm apparently married?!?!? I hope she's fit!
  8. apparantly she is a female version of the bloke getting shouted at in your avatar
  9. Dude, seriously. This is not "a bloke" this is Pte Pyle. I take it you have not seen Kubrick's work of art. Who did not want to become a marine after the legendary bollocking performance of Gunnery Sgt Lee Ermey...

Quote: "Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Today... is Christmas! There will be a magic show at zero-nine-thirty! Chaplain Charlie will tell you about how the free world will conquer Communism with the aid of God and a few Marines! God has a hard-on for Marines because we kill everything we see! He plays His games, we play ours! To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep heaven packed with fresh souls! God was here before the Marine Corps! So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?"
  10. You don't know who that is in my Avatar?!?! Have a fucking word with yourself!

I suggest you educate yourself and get a copy of "Heartbreak Ridge" ASAP! waits for a bite
  11. Promise me you will take the time to go to Club Tropicana and see the show, you get a half bottle of rum for free and I would pay an extra few sheckles for better seats ( the price difference is nothing) and enjoy.... I said to Mrs PoGs that I wish I had more eyes it was atruly spectacular show

PocketComms - Language First Aid at your Fingertips
  12. Many thanks. I shall!
  13. Gunnery Sergeant Lee Ermey was in "Full Metal Jacket" (which is where the picture you use as an avatar comes from) not "Heartbreak Ridge" which starred Clint Eastwood. Both pretty good films though featuring Marines although JJH doesn't think they're too accurate. ;-)

See the writing in white after "ASAP!!"
  15. Smudge a colleague visited and loved it, she said the children politely pestered for things for school, pens, pencils etc. Drug reps aren't allowed to give out pens now but she'd stocked up before the ban and took loads of them.