Crystal sets, POW radios, spy sets & radio related thread

That picture shows 2Mhz of the band. The spikes are individual stations transmitting. To tune to one you just use your mouse to move the cursor to it.

You can have a play with SDR radios online at websdr.org

E2A Here's a bloke that explains how it works

I got the display, fairly obvious. I just wondered if the steep roll-off at the edges was a display function or one of performance. The first I would understand, but if that is the latter then it is better than a 3 stage Tschebycheff filter.

Cany anyone identify what radio my grandad was using, and what the smaller thing with 3 knobs on top was please?

endure

GCM
I got the display, fairly obvious. I just wondered if the steep roll-off at the edges was a display function or one of performance. The first I would understand, but if that is the latter then it is better than a 3 stage Tschebycheff filter.

It's a display function.

Can anyone identify the radio in this? It's my grandad. He died in 1980 - I never really knew him. He was into his shortwave radio stuff though and had notebooks with callsigns etc.

I'd quite like to get one.
Edit..top of chair around centre you can just make out a wire. Other phots show he had it in a dipole arrangment on that wall.View attachment 501930

He didn't even need a beard because ...he smoked a pipe!
Looks like an old Lowe SRX 30. Those were an interesting design with a preselector.

ETA Lowe SRX-30, Desktop Shortwave receiver | RigReference.com

SRX-30 Amateur-R Lowe Electronics Ltd.; Matlock, build 1979/

ETA 2 - Here is one in action:

Last edited:

endure

GCM
Lowe made some good receivers. Their shop in Matlock was like Aladdin's Cave for geeks.

Last edited:
I see it is classed as a Triple Conversion Superhet covering HF Amateur Bands .... that must have totally rejected IF breakthrough from really , really powerful signals ... was that really necessary for HF?
A poor man's RA17 in many ways. Wadley loop too if I recall correctly. I don't recall the background to the design but there were a lot of fairly poor receivers around in that price range at the time, so I think it was an attempt to deliver improved performance for a reasonable price.

Looks like an old Lowe SRX 30. Those were an interesting design with a preselector.

ETA Lowe SRX-30, Desktop Shortwave receiver | RigReference.com

SRX-30 Amateur-R Lowe Electronics Ltd.; Matlock, build 1979/

ETA 2 - Here is one in action:

Thankyou!

I'd say that is probably it based on this:

A poor man's RA17 in many ways. Wadley loop too if I recall correctly. I don't recall the background to the design but there were a lot of fairly poor receivers around in that price range at the time, so I think it was an attempt to deliver improved performance for a reasonable price.

I see that concept also improved frequency stabilisation ... and to achieve that another mod on my CR 100 was to install a Neon stabilised HT supply to the RF oscillator ... I must step back from the keyboard on this thread .. I may be running the risk of becoming a pain in the ARRSE .

I see that concept also improved frequency stabilisation ... and to achieve that another mod on my CR 100 was to install a Neon stabilised HT supply to the RF oscillator ... I must step back from the keyboard on this thread .. I may be running the risk of becoming a pain in the ARRSE .
Nice way to suppress transients. I presume that's what it was doing?

Nice way to suppress transients. I presume that's what it was doing?
Here I am ... like a moth to the flame ... my Bold ... Yes . Also one of the black boxes mounted on the wall was a mains filter unit which also reduced interference in a simplistic way ... and finally I also installed a HT Standby Switch in the CR100 so I could switch on and supply power only to the valve heater circuit ... so turn power on let set heat up for about 30 mins and then switch on HT .
I could tell the saga of how when still at school I built my own 6" Oscilloscope from a Govt Surplus Radar Training aid and how ~60 years later I realised the real Computer Memory breakthrough achieved by long persistence display screens ... but that is for another day and probably thread .

Last edited:
Cany anyone identify what radio my grandad was using, and what the smaller thing with 3 knobs on top was please?
Others have already identified the radio it seems. The smaller unit with the three knobs on top is probably an antenna matching unit.

Others have already identified the radio it seems. The smaller unit with the three knobs on top is probably an antenna matching unit.
Wouldn't mind getting one- seems there are none around though.

Wouldn't mind getting one- seems there are none around though.
Rocking horse droppings. Keep checking e-bay once a week and you might find one pop-up for sale every few years. Good luck with that. Plenty of Yaesu FRG-7s around though, which was it's main competitor. Technology has moved on though. If you haven't got much room for an antenna in the garden maybe try a setup like Endure's, small USB SDR radio, DIY wire picture frame antenna and a simple antenna tuner. If you just want to capture the thrill of analogue radio keep experimenting. Cheap and satisfying when it works.