Crystal sets, POW radios, spy sets & radio related thread

I was parked up having a butty for lunch one day on the road into Minehead where there are some large antenna just off the road. I could hear voices but couldn't see anyone so got out of my vehicle to check where they were coming from. Turns out that the chain-link fence around the antennas was resonating and acting as a loudspeaker for a BBC broadcast.
Here's a guy that was using wet grass to listen to a Russian radio station by arcing it against the transmitting antenna.

tiv

War Hero
magic wasnt it being able to listen in to far away voices
Oh yes, we had a Cossor radiogram with long, medium and short wave bands. Having got the bug as soon as I started my apprenticeship went and brought one of these Pye 1101 Remember early Sunday morning listening to Radio Australia. Still got the Pye but it's broken - blew it's fuses last time I turned it on.

tiv

War Hero
I was parked up having a butty for lunch one day on the road into Minehead where there are some large antenna just off the road. I could hear voices but couldn't see anyone so got out of my vehicle to check where they were coming from. Turns out that the chain-link fence around the antennas was resonating and acting as a loudspeaker for a BBC broadcast.
On the 200 yard range at Enfield the intercom used to pick up BBC unless a capacitor was attached to the line down to the butts.

Oh yes, we had a Cossor radiogram with long, medium and short wave bands. Having got the bug as soon as I started my apprenticeship went and brought one of these Pye 1101 Remember early Sunday morning listening to Radio Australia. Still got the Pye but it's broken - blew it's fuses last time I turned it on.

In the 50's " Happy " Station Hilversum was one of my Sunday morning favourites .... I remember lots of barrel organ music , news and holiday competitions .... another station that encouraged SWL's to join their Club and report signal strength etc ,

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
there use to be a chap that repaired valve equipment near us, but he passed away recenty
the wax capacitors are prone to deteriorating in the older sets
nice you kept it though

Bit off topic, but I visited the Kurrajong Radio musuem in NSW last year. Not a bad way to kill an hour or two.

They have a fair few WW2 radios, out of aircraft and ships, as well as many other military radio units. Among other exhibits is the radio of the Pong Su, a North Korean drug smuggling ship that was captured in 2003

Pong Su Radio shown here, bottom right

t100-2.jpg

You see that there? That is a Siemens T100: The telecomms equivalent of 'That' rifle.

A couple of years ago I was wandering down the corridor of the CIS Support Unit, in JFC Brunssum, and they had one among the museum exhibits. I developed a nice warm glow as I was taken back to my late teens and early twenties.

You see that there? That is a Siemens T100: The telecomms equivalent of 'That' rifle.
I would definitely not argue with that description. Lovely piece of kit. Did you notice whether it was the T100R - QWERTY keyboard, or the T100A, German QWERTZ keyboard? Can't quite see in your pic.

At one time we had a mix in Germany, with even a third version, T100A four-bank keyboard with the figs above the QWERTZ row. At the time, early sixties, we were so busy it became second nature to take one look to see which we were confronted with, then just bash on at 60+ WPM. Happy days!

I would definitely not argue with that description. Lovely piece of kit. Did you notice whether it was the T100R - QWERTY keyboard, or the T100A, German QWERTZ keyboard? Can't quite see in your pic.

At one time we had a mix in Germany, with even a third version, T100A four-bank keyboard with the figs above the QWERTZ row. At the time, early sixties, we were so busy it became second nature to take one look to see which we were confronted with, then just bash on at 60+ WPM. Happy days!
That's the one from @scoldog's post of the brochure from the Kurrajong Radio musuem in NSW. I just cropped the picture. Next time I am in CSU BS I'll grab a picture of the one in their corridor. There's also a 40/160.

Latest Threads