Crystal Clear Digital Radio. -- -.-- .- .-. ... .

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by EX_STAB, Jan 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had one of these for a year now. As soon as you move it, turn any electrical appliance on or off, walk past it etc it either loses the signal altogether or gets loads of static on it. A proper radio doesn't do this.

It lists loads of stations that it can't actually pick up. In fact my FM radio can get far more stations.

Have we been sold a pup with all this digital radio boll cks?

2. Same thing happens to mine in kitchen,but i do live in a crap reception area for most things sent over airwaves.Thank god for sky tv tho,listen to Planet Rock through that.

ffd

3. Mine buzzes just before the mobile rings.

4. I have had a Portable / Mains Digital Radio for about three years . Reception is worse than FM and subject to clicks when anything mains electrical switched on . The battery life is about half that of a comparable FM set ... I feel sure battery manufacturers have had some influence in promoting Digital .
    Not impressed .

5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Digital is a con...always has been always will be...this include TV. The 'benefits' that are put forward are purely there is benefit the government and commercial suppliers, they give very little to the user.

TV is unavoidable, but radio I hope will fail to take over.

S_R

6. I want analogue TV back as well!!!
    The bloody TV either breaks up or looses the signal at the slightest change in weather conditions and it really p1sses me off :x

7. Funny, I was thinking about this earlier today. Any Sigs types care to explain why a radio will sometimes 'drift off frequency' despite having been tuned properly? Some variation in atmospheric conditions, I assume...

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Your hopes may be dashed S_R. A cunning plan is being hatched as we speak. Many new cars are now being fitted with Digital Radios. This is despite the fact that they are not designed for use 'on the move', and reception will be rubbish for most users. However, it's a very quick way of increasing the number of Digital Radios in the world, to the level where the Government will say 'it's time to turn off analogue and sell all the bandwidth'.

To refer to the earlier poster - none of this change is to benefit the listener!

And I want my old LW, MW, SW and FM back!

9. Digital tv Pah snow rain crap signal,tv only able to record or watch one channe unless youve got a twin tuner model. each tele needs decoder.load of bollcks. nowt wrong with analoge. :pc:

10. The Gobment is pushing for a switchover date of 2015 for radios

LinkyLink

Maybe now is the time to get into fitting digital car radios as all those analogue radios we have now will be fcuked

11. Internet Radio is the way forward. Thousands of stations catering for every minority taste in music. Not very portable but can be very high quality. Radio 4 and the World Service are available too. Every possible taste catered for and as more phones get the data link, many are available at 3G bit-rates too.

12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Can't agree. When I'm working in the garden, the kitchen, etc. I don't want to have a p.c. switched on, even a laptop. And what about bedtime listening, and listening in the car?

Internet radio to me is no use whatsoever.

As for using a phone - my phone makes phone calls. I have trouble enough with the technology for that and texting, without adding radio functions!

13. :study: TV is direct line of sight transmitted on Band II UHF. Your quality of signal will depend on how far away you are from the transmitter, how high your aerial is and how accurately it is pointed at the transmitter. Sometimes really bad cloud would but shouldn't if all above are good affect your signal quality.

Radio's also work withing the same band, but you use typically a 'whip' aerial. It's not as good as a directional aerial. This can be improved by leaning the aerial in the direction of the transmitter. Again, distance from the transmitter will have a lot of say, and anything that gets in the way between your aerial and the transmitter will cause problems. You're not drifting off frequency, just losing strength.....oh god I've got to stop this, aarrggghhh! Geek geek, scrap all this, use it as toilet paper! :toilet:

14. I grew up in the days of valve radios which used to take minutes to warm up but what a tone on Medium and Long Wave . Then onto transmitters with valves like 6V6, 807 and 813 … numbers I shall never forget . Used neon voltage stabilisers in receivers to reduce frequency drift but it could still take hours for real frequency stability on the HF bands . In the old days drift was down to voltage and temperature variation within the set . Long before printed circuits and chips .

15. My digital radio is great. You old farts should get a grip and move with the times. :wink: